The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

The Yeung comparison will be because both are Hong Kongalongans (pretty sure that's how you refer to them).  In the same way some still don't want an Eastern European striker because this one time we bought Bosko Balaban.

No, it's not.

You're out of line here.  Read my posts again, thanks.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

No, it's not.

You say this but there are no other comparisons to the men themselves. Yes Yeung and Xia have both promised great things, but what owner would take over a football club and say "Yeah, I think I'll relegate the club again and generally not give a toss".

Xia is self-made in legitimate business and has 35,000 employees under him. Yeung was a money laundering hairdresser. Any comparison is laughable.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

No, it's not.

My comment wasn't specific to you, but now that I've read your comment, it still fits.  The bit where you say it "all seems pretty familiar.  Hmmm." is precisely the specious leap of logic that my Balaban comment was referring to.

From reading in between the lines I've gleaned that Xia wants the manager who won the Champions League, and he wants to put fifty more corporate boxes into Villa Park. Also he has been a Villa fan for many years and played as a striker.

I think a culture clash might be a factor here. Hopefully once his giddiness at owning a football club wears off, he takes some advice from football men who didn't necessarily play as strikers. 

2 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

You say this but there are no other comparisons to the men themselves. Yes Yeung and Xia have both promised great things, but what owner would take over a football club and say "Yeah, I think I'll relegate the club again and generally not give a toss".

Xia is self-made in legitimate business and has 35,000 employees under him. Yeung was a money laundering hairdresser. Any comparison is laughable.

They're both unknown quantities - hence none of us having a clue about Xia - and they (have) both promised <x> amount of money before the full ratification and conclusion of a sale is done.

But sure, nothing aside from a tenuous nationality link.  Of course.

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Nah, **** off - the comparison isn't a nationality thing at all.

I seem to remember him giving a nice fanfare saying £50m would be spent on players - giving figures exactly the same as Xia is doing, and exactly the same figures.  Did Abramovich do that?  Did Henry?  Did Mansour?

Just not racism in the slightest.

I really wasn't suggesting racism - I actually hate the way that word is banded about and leveled at people, often unfairly.  I was not suggesting that. I was just saying the comparison appeared a bit superficial to me i.e. both being owners of Birmingham clubs and both Chinese - I didn't know Yeung had also said £50m would be spent on players so maybe I was wrong. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mantis said:

If Xia had come in with cautious statements and no promises of spending much peopple would be going into absolute meltdown. I'm honestly convinced that there are some who just want to moan.

Ridiculous.  He could've come in and said "I intend to get us promoted at the first attempt" and everyone would be delighted with such optimism.

The reverse is true here, in fact - people who are cautious about a new owner and have seen many other clubs get burned by it are being jumped on as, for example, "just wanting to moan".

Edited by bobzy

1 minute ago, osmark86 said:

The pint is either half drunk or half filled. But seriously, how do some of you on here even get out of bed in the morning?

With the realistic expectation that as one door shuts, another will slam and trap your fingers. :D

• Like 1

If you're over the moon at this then good for you. It's been a crap few years, and Villa fans deserve a little excitement. But I remember literally jumping for joy when Lerner took over because I thought the good times were about to roll in and we all know how that turned out. I'm just going to wait and see what happens.

In the words of George W Bush: "Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool me... you can't get fooled again."

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Ridiculous.  He could've come in and said "I intend to get us promoted at the first attempt" and everyone would be delighted with such optimism.

The reverse is true here, in fact - people who are cautious about a new owner and have seen many other clubs get burned by it are being jumped on as, for example, "just wanting to moan".

I understand being cautious (I'm cautious myself) but it seems as if some have already decided that he's a chancer like Yeung based on no evidence other than the fact that he's from south east Asia.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

The pint is either half drunk or half filled. But seriously, how do some of you on here even get out of bed in the morning?

Personally speaking, I just finish my pint and then hope for the best.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ponky said:

I don't know about anyone else here, but I'm absolutely beside myself with cautious optimism.

Me too-I think the buzz within football in China currently, suggests that theres a possibility of very serious investment-Maybe not initially (although initially, it could be as much as we would hope for)

The feel good factor alone is going to have a massive impact on everyone at the club.

My only negative is that we are not going to be able to ship all of last seasons dross out in one go-Just seeing them in a Villa shirt next season will upset my stomach in much the same way that the sight of Blues fans in our ground has, every time we've played them for the past 40 years.

3 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

With the realistic expectation that as one door shuts, another will slam and trap your fingers. :D

I'll assume your avatar is an accurate extension of your demeanor ;)

The Hollis comments were slightly veiled with regards to the Chinese government. They will be keeping a close eye on Xia and Villa. I like how he said the man city model isn't sustainable, they have spent a billion pounds and the players don't *really* give 2 shits about the club, and they have had success but not been all-dominating. Mansour has even said it can't carry on, they have to be more sustainable. Hopefully he can build something good here with steady investment until we have a great solid platform.

• Like 1

Steven Hollis saying they had half a dozen  different serious potential buyers and him hand picking the doctor does make me feel a bit safer that Xia has the right intentions ! seems ambitions and seems to have fought hard to carve himself a career (Opposite from Lerner). I will give him the benefit of any doubts until he has shown that we need to worry. I honestly think Lerner intentions are good and I trust him enough to believe that he would only sell us to proper people. (Yes, for once I trust Lerner's judgement). Getting good or bad owners seems to be very 50/50, but we have been stuck with Lerner and deadly Doug for ages, hopefully we finally get lucky.

• Like 1