Favourite Villa Pics

dont_do_it_doug.

14 hours ago, Lochheads twin said:

Not my first Villa Park game but the one I have the clearest early memories of was a snow game. My birthday 1962, an FA cup game against Crystal Palace. villa won 4-3, watched it while standing on a pile of snow cleared from the pitch at the front of the Witton End.

Happy Days⛄

I remember that game too - I was down the front of the Witton End. I seem to recall Peter Mac playing alongside Derek Dougan. But there is a memory that sticks in my mind. The Sunday before, the Palace's Johnny Byrne (later to be a legend with WHU) and his wife were on Sunday Night at The London Palladium - not as performers, but to take part in the interval game Beat the Clock. The game involved somehow an inflatable Yogi Bear punchbag.  Which is exactly what the Palace fans in the Witton were waving above their heads during the match. 😃

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SirSteveUK said:

I remember that game too - I was down the front of the Witton End. I seem to recall Peter Mac playing alongside Derek Dougan. But there is a memory that sticks in my mind. The Sunday before, the Palace's Johnny Byrne (later to be a legend with WHU) and his wife were on Sunday Night at The London Palladium - not as performers, but to take part in the interval game Beat the Clock. The game involved somehow an inflatable Yogi Bear punchbag.  Which is exactly what the Palace fans in the Witton were waving above their heads during the match. 😃

Lol. 😀

a different world. All the small kids were ushered down to the front of the Witton End,  well out of sight of parents.

I think Harry Burrows also chipped in with a couple of goals.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Was that after he scored against Man City?

I’m pretty sure at about the time Man City got rich they had bought a player from Arsenal and they were playing each other soon after. The player scored and he ran up to the Arsenal fans and slid in on his knees. Their next game was against us at Villa Park. I can’t remember the result but we took the lead and Bella our mascot ran along the edge of the pitch in front of the Man City fans and slid along on her knees. I’m sure that there is a photo of it somewhere. Top quality trolling Bella!!

I seem to remember the scene being recreated on Soccer Saturday. 🤣

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’m pretty sure at about the time Man City got rich they had bought a player from Arsenal and they were playing each other soon after. The player scored and he ran up to the Arsenal fans and slid in on his knees. Their next game was against us at Villa Park. I can’t remember the result but we took the lead and Bella our mascot ran along the edge of the pitch in front of the Man City fans and slid along on her knees. I’m sure that there is a photo of it somewhere. Top quality trolling Bella!!

I seem to remember the scene being recreated on Soccer Saturday. 🤣

I remember the first part of that, it was Adebayor wasn't it? I didn't know about the second part though :crylaugh:

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/05/2021 at 17:25, imavillan said:

From a FB post

Bruce Springsteen at VP in 1988

Whilst it's not Villa playing it's a pretty good pic of the old AV floodlights and the old Trinity Road stand.

spacer.png

I remember that concert being a source of complaint for the local neighbours, who we concerned about the noise levels, which is slightly ironic, but then Bruce did do a three hour live, show. It was the " Born To Run" tour, I believe. 

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, John said:

Nice GKs shirt above that Jim's wearing too, he looks so determined, as he always was to claim the ball. What an outstanding signing he was. 

I remember sobbing when I realised that Jimmy had been overtaken by Spinksy when I was a young boy. As a goalie myself Jimmy was my hero and to see someone take his spot was gutting.  

• Like 1

On 19/07/2021 at 19:47, wilko154 said:

That Adomah picture always reminds me of this one, one of my favourites.

182107511.jpg.0.jpg

Its funny, I hadn't ever noticed Kompany in that photo until today.  No idea how I missed him!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, choffer said:

I remember sobbing when I realised that Jimmy had been overtaken by Spinksy when I was a young boy. As a goalie myself Jimmy was my hero and to see someone take his spot was gutting.  

Jimmy is the best keeper that we have had at Villa Park up until now in my opinion. That said, given Nigel's performance at Rotterdam and as Jimmy was 34 then (and GKs didn't have quite the shelf life that they do now), it seemed a natural progression for him to take the jersey. I know what you mean though (although I'm longer in the tooth ;)) , as I felt much the same about Colin Withers moving on in 1969.    

Â