Favourite Villa Pics

dont_do_it_doug.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

It was on match of the day, totally unheard for a third division game and spawned a documentary about our fantastic lower league support, tear inducing stuff that demonstrates how much of an enigma our famous old club is 

Yes, it was a rare treat to be able to watch that game again on MOTD that evening. Barry Davies saying, "just listen to this crowd now, getting behind Villa" as George Curtis took the free kick, that produced our winner. A real "jumpers for goalposts" moment!  :clap: 

Edited by John
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, John said:

Yes, it was a rare treat to be able to watch that game again on MOTD that evening. Barry Davies saying, "just listen to this crowd now, getting behind Villa" as George Curtis took the free kick, that produced our winner. A real "jumpers for goalposts" moment!  :clap: 

And local rivals still respond by giving us a high pitched Villa, Villa sometimes. Get over it, no club in the midlands has anywhere near our support base.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, John said:

I was fortunate to be among the then record 3rd Division Villa Park crowd of 48,110, that gathered to see us take on promotion rivals Bournemouth on 12/2/72. We were top and they were second, a win would have taken them level on points with us, with a game in hand. Ted McDougal put the visitors in front during the first half, before Geoff Vowden equalised on 72 minutes, heading home a Chico Hamilton cross. Andy Lochhead scored our 75th minute winner getting his head on a George Curtis free kick, before hitting the falling ball on the volley into the net. This was a tremendous game, and I will never forget it, or the chants of “Villa, Villa” from every part of the ground, as we encouraged our thrilling comeback.   

Jim Cumbes said after the game, "I've heard the Liverpool Kop and Old Trafford's Stretford End in full cry. But nothing - absolutely nothing - compares with Villa Park today. The crowd willed us to an equaliser and once Geoff Vowden had put us level it was inevitable, they would lift us to a winner. The three minutes between our goals were almost frightening. There was no point in the players shouting to each other because we just couldn't make ourselves heard.  Andy Lochhead's winning goal came just as if all 48,000 of them were down on the pitch with us. That was vital for us - but somehow it was the crowd you felt overjoyed for. I've never experienced a day like it."

image.jpeg.ab8a9dbd35d139461a287394338eda09.jpeg image.jpeg.4699fb266e265142e5f63daeb3d83fb6.jpeg image.jpeg.6716644d1782301a5983ec0224f5fca7.jpeg image.jpeg.b9627227718c96b123204e1a51f9232d.jpeg Holte End

• Like 4

8 hours ago, John said:

The 70 cup semi second leg against Man U was a bit special too

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

Look at the Holte! What a stand.

Tremendous. The replay of the winner shows just how mighty the Holte was back then and still is. I'm proud to have been one of the many in it that day, shouting "Villa, Villa, Villa" what a place to be and what a time to be have been there!:).   

Edited by John
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, John said:

Tremendous. The replay of the winner shows just how mighty the Holte was back then and still is. I'm proud to have been one of the many in it that day, shouting "Villa, Villa, Villa" what a place to be and what a time to be have been there!:).   

I was up the witton end that day . the Holte was magnificent. think it held 28,000 in those days. Not sure if there were any bigger kops in the country. The south bank at Wolves held quite a few

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PaulC said:

I was up the witton end that day . the Holte was magnificent. think it held 28,000 in those days. Not sure if there were any bigger kops in the country. The south bank at Wolves held quite a few

It was the biggest stand in England back then, as you rightly said it held 28,000 (sometimes a few more, for whom the turnstile didn't turn, I think;)). 

26 minutes ago, John said:

It was the biggest stand in England back then, as you rightly said it held 28,000 (sometimes a few more, for whom the turnstile didn't turn, I think;)). 

Wolves fans claim The South Bank was bigger. 

Molineaux~old.jpg

Maybe, maybe not, certainly not much in it, but the Holte End is better obviously. 

holte-end.jpg

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Wolves fans claim The South Bank was bigger. 

Molineaux~old.jpg

Maybe, maybe not, certainly not much in it, but the Holte End is better obviously. 

holte-end.jpg

No roof makes Holte End look alot bigger, while Wolves looks wider. 4 tiers is also impressive looking, wont ever see similar again

Â