Favourite Villa Pics

dont_do_it_doug.

On 14/11/2020 at 09:29, Follyfoot said:

And the blue invalid cars

AC and Thundersley Invacar. The model 70 was the most iconic one. Both companies made the same model. 

Some are still on the roads today. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 17/11/2020 at 22:32, choffer said:

Great sight. The year of my first trip to VP (I think)

Look at the advertising hoardings... mostly local companies. Never happen again. 

I came across this picture of the building work being carried out to replace the original Witton Lane Stand with the one they put up for the 66 World Cup, that has since been itself replaced (as previously mentioned in pages 11 & 12). Got to say the bit of the original stand that remained, looked much better than what it was being replaced by:

Aston Villa - Villa Park - BW - 1960s Photograph by Legendary Football  Grounds

• Like 2

On 21/11/2020 at 21:24, Xela said:

AC and Thundersley Invacar. The model 70 was the most iconic one. Both companies made the same model. 

Some are still on the roads today. 

Wow, I never realised they were just given free of charge to disabled people.  What a great thing. Due to the number of disabled war veterans apparently.  Used to see loads on the roads when I was a nipper.  That shade of blue is unmistakable. 

Probably ultimately saved more in disability payments though, they must have been complete deathtraps! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Wow, I never realised they were just given free of charge to disabled people.  What a great thing. Due to the number of disabled war veterans apparently.  Used to see loads on the roads when I was a nipper.  That shade of blue is unmistakable. 

Probably ultimately saved more in disability payments though, they must have been complete deathtraps! 

Was a game changer for the disabled. The invacar (invalid carriage) meant they were able to get around on their own for the first time. Gave the people independence. As it was a three wheeler, you didn't need a licence to drive it either. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Was a game changer for the disabled. The invacar (invalid carriage) meant they were able to get around on their own for the first time. Gave the people independence. As it was a three wheeler, you didn't need a licence to drive it either. 

Just realised it was made by AC as well as in AC Cobra.  Mental. 

Also didn't realise AC still existed, you can buy a brand new Cobra, even electric ones now. 

• Like 1

On 25/11/2020 at 10:32, John said:

I came across this picture of the building work being carried out to replace the original Witton Lane Stand with the one they put up for the 66 World Cup, that has since been itself replaced (as previously mentioned in pages 11 & 12). Got to say the bit of the original stand that remained, looked much better than what it was being replaced by:

I used to love sitting in the Witton Lane, stand. I remember, as a little kid with the old man, calling Bobby Gould, " Goldilocks " everytime he came near, I'm sure he told me do one in no uncertain terms. It was in that stand that I  first laid eyes on the Holte - End, it looked absolutely enormous and I remember thinking how scary it would be if you got pushed forward by the crowd as we scored. Remember that noise the crowd would make when you was caught up in a crush, something like, " we are evil " , but it was like a groan? I was always haunted by the thought of falling down in a crush and not being able to get back up. Still, some wonderful memories of that great historic, stadium. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, imavillan said:

From a FB post

Bruce Springsteen at VP in 1988

Whilst it's not Villa playing it's a pretty good pic of the old AV floodlights and the old Trinity Road stand.

spacer.png

Zoom in on the guy bottom right. 

Looks like he wants to murder the photographer. 🥺

• Haha 1

On 25/11/2020 at 10:32, John said:

Most of that stand is actually still there, they just built a new tier on top of it and refurbished what remained. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 13/07/2021 at 13:39, choffer said:

Not my first Villa Park game but the one I have the clearest early memories of was a snow game. My birthday 1962, an FA cup game against Crystal Palace. villa won 4-3, watched it while standing on a pile of snow cleared from the pitch at the front of the Witton End.

Happy Days⛄

Edited by Lochheads twin
Typo
  • Like 2

On 13/07/2021 at 13:39, choffer said:

That is an interesting picture in a social history point of view.  Must be the early 60's given the cover of the Holte End and Witton Lane pre 66 world cup modifications.

Note the decline of flat caps in the picture which were seemingly ubiquitous from any British terrace photo from about the turn of the century up to the 50s.

This is the start of the terrace culture which peaked in the 60s to 70s and obviously ended by the early 90s due to the Taylor report.

Â