Favourite Villa Pics

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, SirSteveUK said:

Harry Kartz - that's the bloke on the left . 

Thanks John

Do you think so (Harry on the left below)? I have been struggling to put a name to that one Sir Steve.

image.jpeg.aeb0631d0c65513034d8a764b84de89a.jpeg

Edited by John

On 21/09/2020 at 15:44, John said:

This was taken after one of the greatest ever games at Villa Park. Fifty years ago, we beat a Manchester United side that had lifted the European Cup only 2 years earlier, which had included Denis Law, George Best, Bobby Charlton and a young Jimmy Rimmer, 2-1 in the League Cup semi-final 2nd leg in front of 58,667 fans, on 23/12/70 (what a Happy Christmas we all had that year!) :):   

Aston Villa celebrating in the dressing room at Villa Park after their two one victory over Manchester United in the second leg of the League Cup. 23rd December 1970

I met Keith Bradley a few years back when he used to run a bar in Spain. I think he is retired now.  He recalled that match with great pleasure and told a  lad in a Man U shirt in the bar that he was in a side that beat the likes of Best, Charlton and Law. He also had a few stories about Ron Sanders as he was a coach with him at Blues in the 80s.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, John said:

The two players to the left of Ron Wylie are John Dunn and Keith Bradley and it's Dave Gibson crouching at the front next to Vic Crowe. Jimmy Brown is on the right next to Pat Matthews.  Fred Turnbull and Brian Godfrey are either side of Lew Chatterley at the rear, and Chico Hamilton is on the far right at the back. Like yourself,  I'm struggling with the two on the left, could it be George Curtis, next to the chap with the hat?  

The guy on the far left is Frank Upton. Still working on the fellow next to him.

• Thanks 1

On 21/09/2020 at 15:44, John said:

This was taken after one of the greatest ever games at Villa Park. Fifty years ago, we beat a Manchester United side that had lifted the European Cup only 2 years earlier, which had included Denis Law, George Best, Bobby Charlton and a young Jimmy Rimmer, 2-1 in the League Cup semi-final 2nd leg in front of 58,667 fans, on 23/12/70 (what a Happy Christmas we all had that year!) :):   

Aston Villa celebrating in the dressing room at Villa Park after their two one victory over Manchester United in the second leg of the League Cup. 23rd December 1970

God I feel old, was at this game in the Holte End as a 14 year old.

• Like 1

Incidentally, I went to the Final against Spurs. Ticket behind the goal was 7/6d, 37p in today’s money. We lost, but put up a creditable performance. Every Villa fan stayed behind after the final whistle. It must be one of the few times, losing finalists got a bigger cheer than the winners. 4 years later we were the winners, against Norwich 😊😊😊

Edited by meregreen
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Villadevon said:

God I feel old, was at this game in the Holte End as a 14 year old.

Yes, shocking that it happened all of fifty years ago!

Great to have been there though, one of the few advantages of being ancient. I remember how much stick we gave the great George Best that night, every time he got the ball. Oh what fun it was, to see Villa kick Manchester United out of the cup that night! 😊

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Incidentally, I went to the Final against Spurs. Ticket behind the goal was 7/6d, 37p in today’s money. We lost, but put up a creditable performance. Every Villa fan stayed behind after the final whistle. It must be one of the few times, losing finalists got a bigger cheer than the winners. 4 years later we were the winners, against Norwich 😊😊😊

& 10 years later we were league champions. We just wouldn't have believed that possible back then. :hooray:

• Like 1

Another incredible game under the Villa Park floodlights came in 1976, when we beat Liverpool 5-1 (incidentally that was also the half time score) with goals from Gray (2), Deehan (2) & Little. They had won the title the previous year and won the European Cup and the Championship, at the end of that season (finishing 6 points ahead of us). An unforgettable night for those of us, who were in the 42,851crowd.

Phil Thompson said of the game, "it was the most incredible noise I have ever heard at a football match, which is quite something given the amount of big-night atmospheres Liverpool experienced in those days. It was deafening. As the goals kept going in I remember myself and Emlyn looking at each other, speechless. We were all shell-shocked."

image.jpeg.86301bad93e5cda69ab4ab7c1ad379cc.jpeg      image.jpeg.937a6259d3815cd0c7a578c03b6b3edd.jpeg image.jpeg.c9e26245d0187f9726928287f71f624a.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, John said:

Another incredible game under the Villa Park floodlights came in 1976, when we beat Liverpool 5-1 (incidentally that was also the half time score) with goals from Gray (2), Deehan (2) & Little. They had won the title the previous year and won the European Cup and the Championship, at the end of that season (finishing 6 points ahead of us). An unforgettable night for those of us, who were in the 42,851crowd.

Phil Thompson said of the game, "it was the most incredible noise I have ever heard at a football match, which is quite something given the amount of big-night atmospheres Liverpool experienced in those days. It was deafening. As the goals kept going in I remember myself and Emlyn looking at each other, speechless. We were all shell-shocked."

image.jpeg.86301bad93e5cda69ab4ab7c1ad379cc.jpeg      image.jpeg.937a6259d3815cd0c7a578c03b6b3edd.jpeg image.jpeg.c9e26245d0187f9726928287f71f624a.jpeg

We were on the old Witton that night with the Liverpool supporters, when the 3rd went in a scouse bird behind us shouted, 'Come on Kev, sort it out' my Mum turned round and said, ' I don't think even he can do anything about this love' remember it like it was yesterday. That 76 team were something else, especially at VP

• Haha 1

Â