Favourite Villa Pics

dont_do_it_doug.

4 hours ago, John said:

Wolves fans are a deluded lot. Their highest ever attendance was 61,305, our record is 76,588. I think they have a problem about Villa being the biggest club, with a significantly bigger stand. Here is an image of 28,000 yam yams trying to fit into their South Bonk: 

Wackiest And Most Bizarre World Records Ever Set By People

To be fair the rest Molineux was quite small in comparison to Villa park. The north bank was tiny. It was quite close between the Holte end and the south bank but I think the Holte end edged it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

It was quite close between the Holte end and the south bank but I think the Holte end edged it. 

I stood on the South bank at Molyneux for a game ages ago, and I must admit I thought "this could be slightly bigger than the Holte". I suspect, but don't know, that it probably was maybe slightly bigger capacity (when they were both at their biggest).

• Like 1

On 28/10/2020 at 22:21, Stratvillan said:

Look at the Holte! What a stand.

Still sends shivers down my spine absolutely magnificent. No ground in the world like Villa Park and no end like The Holte. I remember Stuart Pearson, I think it was, saying in a football magazine interview back then, that Villa Park was the ground he least liked playing at because the Holte End was so huge and felt so on top of you that it was frightening. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

Still sends shivers down my spine absolutely magnificent. No ground in the world like Villa Park and no end like The Holte. I remember Stuart Pearson, I think it was, saying in a football magazine interview back then, that Villa Park was the ground he least liked playing at because the Holte End was so huge and felt so on top of you that it was frightening. 

Every game as a lad I found enough small change in the top right side where nobody stood unless it was a big game to buy a pie pretty much without fail

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Every game as a lad I found enough small change in the top right side where nobody stood unless it was a big game to buy a pie pretty much without fail

My choice was a cup of Bovril with a spoon of salt on a cold day, from the kiosk on the Witton Lane side of the Holte End in the late 60s - Magic! :)

• Like 2

Ok - I've read the thread - great time.....about time we saw this guy.

One Villa Legend - not because of longevity - in fact the opposite. But possibly, the best CF I ever saw play for us. And the only ex-coal miner to have a section in the Inter Milan museum

RH766BE.jpg

I wont post  the link here - but you can search YT for "England 8 Mexico 0 1961" and see Gerry's debut.

He never left Italy as a player - retired there. It is easy to see that he loved the Italian lifestyle - Went to '62 WC and took 19 Italian suits with him.

• Like 2

On 08/11/2020 at 09:25, John said:

My choice was a cup of Bovril with a spoon of salt on a cold day, from the kiosk on the Witton Lane side of the Holte End in the late 60s - Magic! :)

Remember the young kids who would walk around the pitch at half - time selling refreshments with their paper hats? I remember the chocolate biscuits they sold and the so called orange, coloured pop in a plastic carton. 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2020 at 07:40, sheepyvillian said:

Remember the young kids who would walk around the pitch at half - time selling refreshments with their paper hats? I remember the chocolate biscuits they sold and the so called orange, coloured pop in a plastic carton. 

And the blue invalid cars

1 minute ago, Follyfoot said:

Another thing we used to do was pretend to have twisted our ankles in the Holte and get walked/helped round the pitch by St John’s ambulance past the away fans And go in the gap that used to be at the bottom of the North stand to be ‘treated’

Edited by Follyfoot

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Another thing we used to do was pretend to have twisted our ankles in the Holte and get walked/helped round the pitch by St John’s ambulance past the away fans And go in the gap that used to be at the bottom of the North stand to be ‘treated’

Ha,ha. Done that many a time especially when we played the Blues, as I grew up around the Town so I had plenty of pals who were blue - noses, so you can imagine the banter as I hopped past the North stand. They were nerdy looking people those St John ambulance people, don't you think 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Ha,ha. Done that many a time especially when we played the Blues, as I grew up around the Town so I had plenty of pals who were blue - noses, so you can imagine the banter as I hopped past the North stand. They were nerdy looking people those St John ambulance people, don't you think 

Yes mate and very believing as well considering amount of people that tried it on. Had a great bit of banter with the Bradford lads last game of the season when we both went up late 80s as I hobbled by🤣

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Watched an old "Big Match" last night and there were about six of them parked near the corner flag at Highfield Road, with their drivers sat in them getting a great view of the action. An example of terrific accessibility for the disabled fan from 40 years ago. 

• Like 1

On 15/11/2020 at 09:21, John said:

Watched an old "Big Match" last night and there were about six of them parked near the corner flag at Highfield Road, with their drivers sat in them getting a great view of the action. An example of terrific accessibility for the disabled fan from 40 years ago. 

No health and safety issues them days. 

• Like 1

On 13/11/2020 at 18:46, sheepyvillian said:

image.png.219755e093d6ea9d5da72f1ba156a5a1.pngThis man was an absolute Villa legend. The wonderful Pongo Waring, who managed to score 50 goals in one season. I bet we've got some team up there. And don't you just love that claret and blue top ?

And who kept chickens - inside his house. Hence the nickname....

Â