Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

Moyes isn't my personal preference at all by a long stretch but saying that, as people have pointed out he is exactly what we need right now and he is a name that should hopefully help galvanise our fractured fan base and rebuild our great club. I'll  put my personal preference and opinons aside and be right behind him 100% to try & sort this mess out. 

But to say he knows the league is a fallacy in my opinion and I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the fact he managed PNE as that was like 12 years ago now. It has no bearing on his ability to perform in that league. 

I suppose he/the club wouldn't want his reign to start with being relegated, but why wait till the summer to appoint him (if he would come right away that is) He wouldn't be blamed one bit for it and would give him 7 games to form an opinion from the inside as to whom he considers worth keeping rather than wait until pre-season to assess. 

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

my only fear with Moyes is that he might force Fellaini on our already crap midfield :P

He would be head and shoulders above our other midfielders at the moment. Literally in some cases.

• Like 2

Moyes would been seen as a statement of intent. Anybody taking over after Fergie was doomed and hardly any British managers succeed at foreign clubs so his last 2 appointments for me don't blot his record. We are in a similar position to when he went into Everton albeit in a lower league. Tight finances needing an overhaul and stability. All things he's proven he can do. He ticks all the boxes both short and long term. Wasn't Steve Round being touted as our no2 ?? There's definitely a connection to Moyes and if he wants it give it him. Simple as that. 

My only concern with Moyes is which one we'd get.  Would we get the Preston and Everton one, or the more recent Man Utd and Sociedad one.  On one hand the most recent appointments should be the most relevant, and on the other hand his first 2 are probably more comparible circumstances to our own.  I'm not against his appointment, but he doesn't fill me with enthusiasm either.  I suppose it would be a bit of a coup if we managed to get him though.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, thabucks said:

But to say he knows the league is a fallacy in my opinion.....

The assumption that you need to "know the league" is a fallacy as well.  It is still about playing competitive football and winning games.  If you have a track record of winning in the premier - a 'much' tougher league - there is no reason you cannot do it in the Championship as well IMO. 

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 3

Moyes is an intriguing one.

On the one hand, you could see the appeal to him of turning us around, but on the other, if he fails with us (as is fairly possible), his career would surely be over. Maybe he's as desperate as we are, but I doubt it. Surely better to make some modest progress somewhere else, rather than risk blowing whats left of his reputation with us. 

Brave if he does take it.

I'd welcome him.

55 minutes ago, jon_c said:

To echo others, Moyes wouldn't be the first manager I'd want, but I wouldn't be unhappy with him. Not like some of the other car crashes we're getting linked with.

Who would be your first choice?

I'm not sure what's so wrong about the job Moyes did at United - the circumstances were terrible and he surely wasn't helped much by the club or given time. Is a much more decorated coach like Van Gaal doing better?

Moyes was a slightly above average manager running a great club. He certainly didn't manage to step up but with regards to his hypothetical work at Villa his MU experience would have no bearing whatsoever. I think he'll easily get another premier league gig, though. Don't see him coming to Villa, where he would have to replace the whole team, would have to work under terrible ownership, likely on a low budget and at the same time anything but promotion would be seen as a failure. He'd be smart to stay away from this mess. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

My only concern with Moyes is which one we'd get.  Would we get the Preston and Everton one, or the more recent Man Utd and Sociedad one.  On one hand the most recent appointments should be the most relevant, and on the other hand his first 2 are probably more comparible circumstances to our own.  I'm not against his appointment, but he doesn't fill me with enthusiasm either.  I suppose it would be a bit of a coup if we managed to get him though.

I agree, but like I said earlier I honestly don't think we need an amazing manager to get us up next season if stuff behind the scenes is right (which is a big if, admittedly)

A year with the squad, including promotion, and I think we'd be in great shape to stay in the Premier League when we're back under Moyes.

Moyes would be a statement of intent from the club, but would it be a statement the club are willing to make? I bet he comes at a steeper price than your Pearson's or Bruce's.

I think it's a price we need to pay, as long as it doesn't negativity impact our budget for transfers. I don't think he failed at United at all. Has Van Gaal done any better? Not really.

Would the club go for him then? I would assume not, given the clubs form on getting people in we actually want. But that was the previous regime. Meet the new boss, I hope for all our sakes he's not the same as the old boss.

I would go as far as to sing "David Moyes Claret and Blue army" at the next home game to let them know how we feel. And if it were Sherwood or Lambert stood in that dugout, I would. But I still have respect for Garde. He has failed with us, but it wasn't completely down to him.

I've waffled a lot of my thoughts. Really it comes down to yes, I want Moyes and yes I think he would do a great job. Let's not break the bank on getting him, we also need a lot of players this summer. Whoever it is, hopefully it's done amicably with Garde. It's not all his fault.

Ultimately, I want the club to ring the bells of intent; Look out noses, Villa are coming for you.

• Like 3

I'm not sure why people are saying Moyes did a bad job at Man United to be honest. He was hardly given a fair chance, and looking at what's gone on at Man United since his departure, was he really doing a bad job? He only signed one player didn't he? Fellaini? IIRC... the board didn't back him at all. 

Considering the money they've spunked up the wall since he left, and they are still no better, I'd hardly say he was doing a bad job. 

Moyes would be an incredible appointment. Won't happen though. 

Makes me sad to think that maybe DM might do a bit of a Google before making a decision about his future might come into a thread like this and think, no thanks, they look like a bunch of idiots. 

I'm not sure why people are saying Moyes did a bad job at Man United to be honest. He was hardly given a fair chance, and looking at what's gone on at Man United since his departure, was he really doing a bad job? He only signed one player didn't he? Fellaini? IIRC... the board didn't back him at all. 

Considering the money they've spunked up the wall since he left, and they are still no better, I'd hardly say he was doing a bad job. 

Moyes would be an incredible appointment. Won't happen though. 

Fellaini and Mata, I thought.