Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

34 minutes ago, BOF said:

Is that honestly what you took from his post? 

What I took from his point was that there was a reason we added no reinforcements in January, and that reason was Garde's failure in two matches.

Since he said " my point was if he got 4 points from them games I imagine the club would have backed him more "  

To me, that sounds like those two games were where all our hopes went away.  Without those two loses the board would have backed him more aggressively  and we would have been strong enough to attract more.   It seems to me like an extreme oversimplification to say that if he had just won those two games, our season could have been salvaged.  There were quite a few other matches involved in our dreadful season.  Pinning it on two where Garde (as he has argued before) chose a poor line-up, while ignoring all the other results that left us in deep ^^#$ seems to me like an extreme oversimplification.  So yes, that's what I took from his point.  

Why, what did you take from his point that's different?

His point about those games was that the team selection threw it.  Not that previous games could be ignored, but that in what were 2 particularly large and relatively quickfire games coming up to the opening of the window, he decided to go with team selections that Zatman felt were inadvisable.  Now whether they were or not is beside the point, as it's only Zatman's opinion.  But it was never that those games mattered more or that the other games mattered less.  Just that in Zatman's opinion, those games were almost thrown and at such a crucial time in the season with the imminent window.

well I said the Norwich game was thrown away with team selection, ive trauma of that Sunderland game from the 3rd goal which was basic schoolboy stuff :P My point was that if we had got points from them games, the board would have backed him a bit better and we would have been slightly more attractive to players and crucially we would probably have a chance to stay up

• Like 1

I understand, but I would differ that those games were no more important than any others.  They all count for 3 points.  I know, some will argue that some matches matter more, but mathematically they are all the same 3 points.   Our point total would have been the same if we had won any other two matches.

And Zatman, I didn't think the selection for Norwich was good either.  But it was no worse than the selections and subs made in multiple previous matches.  

It just strikes me as an attempt to (IMO unfairly) blame Garde for the lack of transfer activity.  Clearly Garde has failed to motivate the players.  But blaming him for the lack of transfer activity does not seem fair to me.  (Maybe I'm just assuming he was promised the ability to improve the squad and overly strongly averse to blaming the victim.)

Just saw Chris Coleman linked with the job today

Unless he brings Gareth Bale with him to carry the other 10 like he has been doing  during Coleman's Wales tenure  , then No thanks

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Zatman said:

well I said the Norwich game was thrown away with team selection, ive trauma of that Sunderland game from the 3rd goal which was basic schoolboy stuff :P My point was that if we had got points from them games, the board would have backed him a bit better and we would have been slightly more attractive to players and crucially we would probably have a chance to stay up

Would they **** :D

7 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Just saw Chris Coleman linked with the job today

Unless he brings Gareth Bale with him to carry the other 10 like he has been doing  during Coleman's Wales tenure  , then No thanks

Yeah I thought he did a good job at Fulham but that was a long while ago now and his recent club spells have been pretty poor. He's also been out of club football for about 5 years now and that always worries me when managers have been out of the loop for a while, I'd be amazed if he's our next manager. Probably the standard tactic of inventing club links to get a nice new contract.

On a general theme of British managers are we a bit in danger of pigeon holing them by calling them prehistorical tactical dinosaurs? I see Mantis was on it last night saying he didn't want a "Pashun 4-4-2 merchant"....believe me that's the last thing I think when I see Gary Monk's name, a talented inventive coach who just had a poor few months in charge of Swansea. I would take him no problem. Warburton's another who got Brentford playing some outstanding football in a very short space of time.

There are talented British managers around every bit as capable for the challenge ahead as foreign coaches...whether this board will appoint any of them is of course very much open to debate.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Eddie Howe would have been my pick had Bournmouth not done so well, I wanted him when Sherwood was sacked

he was homesick at Burnley, doubt he would have came to VIlla

I am not suggesting this guy for the Villa job as it would be a big leap, but I have to acknowledge what a great job Northampton Town's manager Chris Wilder has done over the last two years. Taking The Cobblers from possible relegation to the conference when he joined, to well clear at the top of the league in 24 months, all under the cloud of some dodgy financial dealings being done by the then chairman, which was still rumbling on early this season with players not being paid. Hats off to the guy, that is phenomenal effort to manage that under those circumstances.

On a Villa related note, I would not be surprised to see Southgate come in. He was one of Brian Little's signings in his first summer window, and had great success here. Personally, i am not sure he would be a great choice for us. He has had no success at any level in management, and appears to be on par with Stuart Pearce at the management lark.

On 3/21/2016 at 21:16, AntrimBlack said:

I was happy that the club was trying to change and become more modern, it will be deflating to have one of the good old British dinosaurs that have been mooted coming in to manage us,

As was I mate, however I feel the situation we are in now requires as such, we can still modernise the rest of the operation, whilst having a "Dinosaur" if you will gut the wasters, and bring back the British fight, and foundation to the club. We could do with that for 1 or 2 years and then move on to the next stage with a future manager. It has been done successfully in the past with other clubs. That being said, the likes of Pearson and Di Matteo are not yet over the hill. There is no reason they cannot move forward with the footballing times. It seems as if we are finally trying to build a real footballing ethos via the board and no doubt this will be in all facets of running the footballing side of the club.