Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

I was never that sure about Moyes but after watching what he did with Everton under a very tight chairman I think he'd be a good fit for us right now, but does he remember what it was like to be the Preston manager?

He's not a manager with a massive win rate and his teams do draw a lot, but they work hard and players without the right attitude get the Scottish treatment.
He's quite obvious though; play wide, strong in the tackle, midfield who switch play. I think he got lucky in his great Everton days by attacking quality such as Baines helping him out, but it was his luck and Everton were a force at home and tricky away. Much like our MON days but with mid table wages and spend.....

"This graphic compares Premier League club transfer spending with wage spending, from the 2000/01 season to 2011/12"

His Spanish and United days I'm not sure what to make of, he spent a lot of money in Spain and brought in some decent players but nobody performed for him.
People joke about Fellaini but he's kept United in many games, plus the United squad is shocking. Fergie left it in a mess, shows how good he was as a manager.

Both his previous clubs only gave him 1 year to develop and reflect; 4 years at Preston and 10 at Everton suggests he's a planner. Plus that Everton record really is enviable.
If our club wants a long term vision rather than a bounce back manager he might be a good option.....maybe we should get him in now.....

If we get Moyes if/when Remi leaves surely it shows Villas intent to try get back in the Prem straight away and would get a good buzz around the club again.Makes me wonder what might have been if Moyes came to us before we chose Sherwood.

The more I think of it, the more I'm warming to Moyes.  I was never against him, but it could be a match made in heaven.  Fingers crossed and all that.  Now go and make it happen Randolph (or Steve, whatever).

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

Fergie left it in a mess, shows how good he was as a manager.

A mess that won the league?

Fergie was very clever though.  Now remember he is his own biggest fan with an eNORmous ego.  He deliberately left behind him a very old squad that he had extracted the maximum from.  His later signings were not youth as had been his wont to that point.  They were short-term finished articles to get him what he needed within his own timeframe, then he walked away.  That squad was finished when he left and he knew it.  The next man in was going to have to do the impossible and rebuild from almost scratch.  The fact that Moyes subsequently failed at that monumental task only served to enhance Fergie's reputation further, and that's what Alex engineered.  So it wasn't quite a mess, but it was an imminent disaster.  Not helped by the fact the job and club was too big for Moyes.  Something I suspect Fergie also knew would be the case.

• Like 4

I could tolerate Bruce if he only managed us in the Championship but not beyond that. Sure, his record suggests he may get us out of the Championship but then there is every chance he'll lead us back to square one. This is the guy who relegated Hull after spending £50m in two seasons. We all know our club aren't ruthless enough to simply use him for the primary objective either. Although ironically, you'd think he'll only end up here if he fails to promote Hull. 

We really need a manager who can achieve promotion and build some sort of base to prevent us easily sliding back. 

11 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

A mess that won the league?

Exactly. Shows how good a manager he was.

Lots of old players who gave it one last push for the manager, plus RVP. Nothing coming through or tested by Fergie, many average 'stars' like Mata and Hernandez; a mess for a team who always challenged for the title.
It required a rebuild to be challengers, something still being proved today and recently stimulated by investment in young talent and youth players coming through, in LVG's second season.

If you're not a challenger you need to consider the CL as uncertain so United finishing 6th under Moyes wasn't that surprising. Liverplop have discovered that, as have United and Chelsea.

I agree that Fergie signed Van Persie as one last little gift to himself to go out with a bang with the title, but I don't think he left the club in that bad a shape.  Moyes was set back by incompetence by those above him buying the players failing to freshen things up a bit plus I think the fans just didn't fancy him.  I do think in comparison, van Gaal had done a much worse job and given the same money to spend I think Moyes would have them challenging for the title by now.  Id love to see him here, his football isn't as bad as some think and he always seemed to be able to spot a player from pretty much anywhere, be it their youth, lower leagues, Europe and further beyond and built different teams.  It would add to my confusion as to wtf is going on at the club if we could convince someone like him to join in these circumstances.

I agree that the United squad was on the downturn (even tho it had won the league), but the fact it came 7th says more about moyes than it does that squad.

Don't forget he spent 80m that season.

He massively underachieved without fergie doing him no favours.

Poor manager who has zero winning mentality. Pretty much why I highlighted that shit has really hit the fan when I say I'd take him in a heartbeat.

21 minutes ago, BOF said:

Fergie was very clever though.  Now remember he is his own biggest fan with an eNORmous ego.  He deliberately left behind him a very old squad that he had extracted the maximum from.  His later signings were not youth as had been his wont to that point.  They were short-term finished articles to get him what he needed within his own timeframe, then he walked away.  That squad was finished when he left and he knew it.  The next man in was going to have to do the impossible and rebuild from almost scratch.  The fact that Moyes subsequently failed at that monumental task only served to enhance Fergie's reputation further, and that's what Alex engineered.  So it wasn't quite a mess, but it was an imminent disaster.  Not helped by the fact the job and club was too big for Moyes.  Something I suspect Fergie also knew would be the case.

I hope it's not that sinister but I agree with what you've said about it being a massive job.
It's the main reason I've never written off Moyes despite not being his biggest fan. (not that I think he's a bad manager)

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay

16 hours ago, TB said:

Good observation. But if true (Mirror isn't it?), I cannot see why they didn't bring him in after Sherwood. Now: if he's actually interested at this time, I just hope that the current squad will remember what he did at Everton and not just look at his MU and Real Sociedad stints and go: Nah, has-been, over the hill guy. Not good enough. We'll continue to pretend to put a shift in. 

Regardless of manager, I suspect there will be a major turnover of playing staff in the summer and subsequent rebuild. So I'm not sure how many survivors from the current lot there will be.

3 minutes ago, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

I hope it's not that sinister but I agree with what you've said about it being a massive job.
It's the main reason I've never written off Moyes despite not being his biggest fan. (not that I think he's a bad manager)

I wouldn't have used 'sinister' per se.  Calculated would be more apt.  But yes I have it on fairly decent authority that it's basically the outline of what happened, how it happened and why it happened.

4 minutes ago, Isa said:

Regardless of manager, I suspect there will be a major turnover of playing staff in the summer and subsequent rebuild. So I'm not sure how many survivors from the current lot there will be.

Well, I do hope you're right. I'm just worried that the 'survivors' won't be the players we actually want to keep, but those we actually want to get rid of.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BOF said:

I wouldn't have used 'sinister' per se.  Calculated would be more apt.  But yes I have it on fairly decent authority that it's basically the outline of what happened, how it happened and why it happened.

I doubt SAF would admit to any of that to anyone.

Anyone who thinks that's what's happening is speculating imo and it's not really an unknown speculation across the media.

We all do things to make ourselves look better. The point is, was moyes left with a top 7 side. Very much not would be my argument especially with 80m quids worth of investment.

Fellaini was a sheer panic buy and to spend 40m on mata only to then play him out of position. Well, beggars belief tbh.

1 minute ago, Woodytom said:

and to spend 40m on mata only to then play him out of position. Well, beggars belief tbh.

Mata was not a Moyes purchase. He was forced on Moyes by Woodward after the absolutely spectacular cock up that Woodward had made of the transfer window to that point.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

Mata was not a Moyes purchase. He was forced on Moyes by Woodward after the absolutely spectacular cock up that Woodward had made of the transfer window to that point.

Fair enough but mata is hardly a run of the mill player, that you pull your nose up at signing nor stick out on the wing.

David moyes is terrified of losing. That's why he will never win anything. He is so Lorded by the media that his failings at manure was the first many ppl noticed of his weaknesses. Yet they were evident in my eyes at Everton. 

Edited by Woodytom

9 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

He is so Lorded by the media that his failings at manure was the first many ppl noticed of his weaknesses. Yet they were evident in my eyes at Everton. 

Well done you.