Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It's the future of football, imo.

Long term managers are brilliant if you can find them. But it's become very rare.

All it does is encourage gambles. Clubs avoid experienced manager who have a ceiling because they ultimately want to go beyond that ceiling. But to do that they employ a gamble of a manager who MIGHT have a higher ceiling, but with nothing to base that on.

Remi Garde, Tim Sherwood, Paul Lambert, Alex McLeish were all "long term" appointments, and all risks. None of them paid off.

The club needs a long term plan/philosophy. The manager has to fit into that, but not for the duration.

Just wondering how an ex-nose who might well get of to a slow start can realistically be expected to fit into a long term philosophy? Surely this ones' best left in the past? A slow start and goodness only knows what match day atmosphere could be like towards him.

35 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Just wondering how an ex-nose who might well get of to a slow start can realistically be expected to fit into a long term philosophy? Surely this ones' best left in the past? A slow start and goodness only knows what match day atmosphere could be like towards him.

He'd get us into the Premier League.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He'd get us into the Premier League.

Well that's a moot point really isn't it- as you know I believe there are better candidates ( no longer out there shall we say) however my point about Steve Bruce is that if things don't go to plan early doors, he could face similar vitriol to that of McLeish, probably not quite so bad, but certainly enough to sour the whole match day experience and in my view his qualifications and successes to date, do not merit taking this level of a gamble IMO 

26 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Well no, not really. That was my entire point.

Excuse me Stevo- that's only your opinion, certainly not a given by any stretch of the imagination 

6 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Excuse me Stevo- that's only your opinion, certainly not a given by any stretch of the imagination 

I don't claim it to be anything other than my opinion.

Edited by Stevo985

I don't think Bruce would be a gamble. He's done well at clubs without a massive budget, he spent some money at hull but nothing ground breaking. I certainly think he'd get us promoted. In regards to being an ex blues manager, I don't really care as long as he does the job. McLeish was different as we all knew he was shite and wasn't a likeable character, people just jumped on the nose wagon. Bruce hasn't managed them in years and I'm sure has no loyalty to them.

Shock opinion here but if it were my money and I wanted promotion, I'd go for Bruce. Statistically the safest bet to achieve this outcome. However being someone who #TrustsInTony, then I am reckon he has done his research and gone for the best candidate, whoever he chooses. 

14 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Has Steve Bruce been linked to Villa?

:D He is the next cab off the rank with the bookies but RDM's odds range from 1/7 - 1/12 and his are from 5/1 - 10/1. 

Edited by John

On 23 May 2016 at 21:14, The Fun Factory said:

Always quite liked him but not at the moment. I could see him at Everton one day.

So given his progressive talks with Rotherham, anybody thinking Alan Stubbs could be the man we want or need?

51 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think you know what a moot point is.

33 minutes ago, Dave J said:

In itself- this is a moot point! 

This exchange reminded me of this:

• Like 1