Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

2 hours ago, mykeyb said:

How much did Boro pay for Jordan Rhodes?

Can you honestly not see the problem with highlighting the most expensive signing ever for this division and then treating it as some kind of average?

A little more fact-based, I found a 'most expensive XI' from last summer:

-------------------------------------Smithies (QPR 1.2m)----------------------------------

Wiggins (Weds 0.75m)--Bjelland (Brent 2.1m)--Shackell (Der 3m)--Odubajo (Hull 3.5m)

------------------------Butterfield (Der 4m)-----------Johnson (Der 6m)--------------------

--------------Downing (Boro 5.5m)----Forestieri (Weds 3m)----Ince (Der 4.75m)---------

-------------------------------------------Gray (Burn 9m)------------------------------------

So precisely one player in the eight to ten million pound bracket then.

(my apologies mods, I don't know how to copy things on an iPad. The link was from gazette live.co.uk, dated 4th Sep 2015 written by Jonathan Taylor). 

• Like 4

I for one, was delighted when David 'I'm not a winner' Moyes ruled himself out.

Doesn't matter what league you are in imo, if you have a fear of failing then you won't WIN. 

I can't say that either RDM or Pearson have ever shown me a fear of failing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

That's 1 player versus three.

I'll give you Ross McCormack too.  You're still one down.

I think my point is still valid, good quality Championship players generally cost more than a couple of million. You can pick-up some decent free signings and as you correctly say there are players to be picked up for small fees, the problem is that to be onto players like that you need a manager in place now and a manager who knows the division with a quality scouting system and we dont qualify on any of these at this point.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

MIchael Emanalo has signed majority of players at Chelsea(the younger players) since 2011 including Courtois, Lukaku, De Bruyne, Oscar, Hazard

So that means the scouts at 99% of clubs then shouldnt get any credit on signings then. I think with RDM people are just being unfairly negative towards him

hit wasn't him that won the CL, he has as much experience as Sherwood when he comes to signing players, can't take credit for Hazard signing. Fairly harsh on the guy in my opinion 

15 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Can you honestly not see the problem with highlighting the most expensive signing ever for this division and then treating it as some kind of average?

A little more fact-based, I found a 'most expensive XI' from last summer:

-------------------------------------Smithies (QPR 1.2m)----------------------------------

Wiggins (Weds 0.75m)--Bjelland (Brent 2.1m)--Shackell (Der 3m)--Odubajo (Hull 3.5m)

------------------------Butterfield (Der 4m)-----------Johnson (Der 6m)--------------------

--------------Downing (Boro 5.5m)----Forestieri (Weds 3m)----Ince (Der 4.75m)---------

-------------------------------------------Gray (Burn 9m)------------------------------------

So precisely one player in the eight to ten million pound bracket then.

(my apologies mods, I don't know how to copy things on an iPad. The link was from gazette live.co.uk, dated 4th Sep 2015 written by Jonathan Taylor). 

People seem to be greatly overestimating player prices in the Championship.

People were suggesting spending 7-8m on a keeper in another thread.

That would make our keeper one of the most expensive British Goalkeeper signings in history.

• Like 3

I also wouldn't be totally against somebody like ryan giggs. It won't happen obviously but I think he's probably developed quite a bit over the last couple of years and would undoubtedly give us access to a couple of decent loanees.

Roy Hodgson (after the euros)?

20 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

So that means the scouts at 99% of clubs then shouldnt get any credit on signings then. I think with RDM people are just being unfairly negative towards him

hit wasn't him that won the CL, he has as much experience as Sherwood when he comes to signing players, can't take credit for Hazard signing. Fairly harsh on the guy in my opinion 

I'm not against Di Matteo but you can't give him credit for the signing of Hazard. He literally had nothing to do with it. In fact, Hazard revealed it was done before he was even given the job on a permanent basis.

The concerns over his recruitment record are legitimate insomuch that he's worked under DOFs at nearly all of the clubs he has managed at. Nothing wrong with that of course and it's even possible this played a part in the thinking behind him being considered by Xia if he wants to install that sort of model here. If not though and transfers are left to Di Matteo himself, then it will be a responsibility he isn't familiar with. It'll will interesting to see what he does if that turns out to be the case.

Edited by Isa

Just now, Woodytom said:

Roy Hodgson (after the euros)?

If he was free now then I'd be fine with Hodgson.

But after the Euros is too late. i think we need to get someone in soon as there's a lot of work to be done.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Hodgson takes a break. I know England manager isn't the most time consuming job (relative to football management) but he's been almost constantly employed since about 2008

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If he was free now then I'd be fine with Hodgson.

But after the Euros is too late. i think we need to get someone in soon as there's a lot of work to be done.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Hodgson takes a break. I know England manager isn't the most time consuming job (relative to football management) but he's been almost constantly employed since about 2008

Yeah solid points tbf steveo.

For me, nobody should really be given credit for signing players such as Eden hazard.... players for a massive fee, who are clearly top notch.

I remember having a debate with a mate who thought the signing of Rafael van der vaart was one of the best signings ever in the premier league. I didn't really see it that way. I saw it as a bit of a no brainer given the fee and where spurs were at the time. 

Signings such as mahrez, vardy, solskjaer, Vieira - they are the kind of signings where people should be singled out for praise. 

Unfortunately, it's a long time since we made any signing anywhere near that level. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

For me, nobody should really be given credit for signing players such as Eden hazard.... players for a massive fee, who are clearly top notch.

I remember having a debate with a mate who thought the signing of Rafael van der vaart was one of the best signings ever in the premier league. I didn't really see it that way. I saw it as a bit of a no brainer given the fee and where spurs were at the time. 

Signings such as mahrez, vardy, solskjaer, Vieira - they are the kind of signings where people should be singled out for praise. 

Unfortunately, it's a long time since we made any signing anywhere near that level. 

Benteke but that was an anomaly.

Just now, Wainy316 said:

Benteke but that was an anomaly.

I reckon you could lump Mellberg and Laursen in that list as far as Villa are concerned. Those are the last two real gems that stand out that we didn't pay a huge amount for other than Tekkers and Delph.

Year 1 - Promotion back to the Premier League

Year 2 - Avoid relegation in the Premier League

Year 3 - Top half in the Premier League

Year 4 - Top 6 in the Premier League

Year 5 - Top 4 in the Premier League

If Tony has mapped out a plan for the next 5 years, I hope it looks similar to the above.  Arguably Moyes would have been ideal for Years 1-4 which is why I think we went for him.  Pearson would only really be good for years 1-2.  RDM could potentially be good enough for the whole project but he has never stayed anywhere very long and is therefore a massive risk!  

I guess on that basis Pearson edges it for me from the remaining favourites.   

1 hour ago, Woodytom said:

You do have to assess whether or not they'd be a success in the way the team plays, make assessment on character, how well they might adapt to a different country as well though. I agree with your point, but there are plenty of occasions when a player with a great reputation has moved clubs and failed (Shevchenko, Veron, Soldado, Torres etc), so they should be given some credit.

Edited by abdomlahor

41 minutes ago, nnock1984 said:

Year 1 - Promotion back to the Premier League

Year 2 - Top half in the Premier League

Year 3 -Top 4 in the Premier League

Year 4 - Winner of Premier League

Year 5 - World Domination

If Tony has mapped out a plan for the next 5 years, I hope it looks similar to the above.  Arguably Moyes would have been ideal for Years 1-4 which is why I think we went for him.  Pearson would only really be good for years 1-2.  RDM could potentially be good enough for the whole project but he has never stayed anywhere very long and is therefore a massive risk!  

I guess on that basis Pearson edges it for me from the remaining favourites.   

FIXED:D

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, mykeyb said:

How much did Boro pay for Jordan Rhodes?

You do realise Rhodes didn't play half a season for Boro who were near enough top when he arrived and he didn't even start their final game against Brighton.

These are the starting 11s from two of the best teams in the championship. How much did those two sides cost again...

Middlesbrough

• 1Konstantopoulos
  • 24Nsue
  • 4Ayala
  • 6Gibson
  • 3Friend
  • 8Clayton
  • 7Leadbitter
  • 18Stuani
  • 21RamírezSubstituted forDowningat 63'minutes
  • 27Adomah
  • 35NugentSubstituted forRhodesat 80'minutes