Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

1 minute ago, hippo said:

A Poll on the next villa manager in the express and star:-

Pearson 55%

RDM 26%

Martinez 7%

Oh dear. They did miss out the stuffed Giraffe though. That would have taken an overall percentage.

Edited by sexbelowsound

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Sorry but this not true at all Di Matteo signed Hazard, and Oscar at Chelsea. Where has Sherwood signed those calibre type players? 

no he didnt, he was manager when they signed but he had no control over transfers. e.g. Hazard joined 10 days before Di Matteo was even kept on full-time

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeyAnty said:

Largely successful?  Thats a total Myth.  

He was sacked by Chelsea 3 months into the new season after winning the CL.  (He gave Chelsea players free rein to play the way they wanted when he took over and he admits that.  Said AVB was to technical and complicated things.

He was sacked by West Brom 6 months after getting them promoted

He was sacked by Schalke 6 months after being appointed (**After getting through to the knockout stages of the CL, and beating Real Madrid in Madrid**)

Won nothing with MK Dons.  Unless you are happy with getting beat in the first round of play offs.

I would say that is successful. 

That's more then all our last 4/5 managers put together achieved in the game so far. 

Ive a news flash for you, he doesnt have the qualities we need.  Rarely at a club 12 months before he gets the boot.  That should tell you something.

He's more a victim of modern ruthless football.. He was fired at Chelsea when they were 2nd in the league. Yes their CL campaign wasn't going great, but with the FA Cup and the League Cup they were still on for doing a treble. Yet they sacked him even though the fans were still firmly on board, they weren't concerned.

He was sacked from West Brom after a concerning run of form but they were no where near close to getting relegated and it was their first season back in the league, it's mere delusions of grandeur to expect consistent Top 10 football from a newly promoted side something we will have to be aware of when we get promoted. End of it all though they finished 11th as the team got used to the league again. 

The RDM hate is ridiculous to me. A club in our position would be insanely lucky to get manager who's highest win percentage is 57% and his lowest is 42%. His lowest win percentage is higher than Martin O'Neill's. His highest win percentage is higher by a good 8% than any manager in our clubs history, you gonna turn that down just because he has some spells of off form which considering how new he is at management is to be expected.

Apparenty Xia has said the appointment will be made in the next few days - so either

Hollis has capitulated and agreed to RDM

OR

Its Pearson

I actually think it will be Pearson. If XIA has read the report (Review)  from Bernstein\King and he is prepared to act on the scouting stuff - I reckon he will read the bit about needing a strong manager  

I think it will be RDM.

He's clearly the man Dr Tony wants to appoint, his name only appeared with the takeover so I'd say stick to your guns and appoint him rather than Pearson who the Dr probably wouldn't have full confidence in (and neither would most of this forum).

I think Pearson would've been appointed by now given he's Hollis's choice and in the unlikely event of the takeover not happening....

3 hours ago, hippo said:

Like I said IMO.

It will be like Remi all over again - how he walked into a mess, how the dressing room is toxic, how the players aren't professional.......how he needs more time, how weve been in decline for years, -- What was that ....Oh that was Aston Villa 2016/7 season - we finished 12th !  

Difference is we now have the money to change things, last few years we didn't.  

Hope we do appoint someone this week, whether that RDM, Pearson or someone else.  As said previously, Euro's will be a distraction, players now on holiday etc.  Difficult therefore to assess the current squad.  

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Why are people judging his spell at Chelsea as if that's some sort of measure, we are in a totally different world to what RDM had at Chelsea (and he did much better than many other managers Chelsea have appointed either side of Mourinho).

The only logical guide has to be his job at West Brom. Took over after they'd just been relegated and he got them up fairly comfortably in the top 2.

Next season in the prem they started off well and got some very good results (winning 3-2 at Arsenal, only team to also claim a point at Old Trafford that season aswell). Yes they tailed off and he got the sack...but it's West Brom. They've spent the following 6 seasons doing exactly the same in seasons.

Wouldn't have an issue with RDM. Just hope we appoint the manager very soon as we're nearly in June now and the cup is very bare in terms of preparations for the coming season.

Fair point.

I would say at the time I think WBA were a yo-yo club - Relegation\promotion was business as usual for them.

For us it is an absolute calamity - the club seems in total chaos and turmoil both on and off the pitch - is he going to come in shake the club to its foundations like Graham Taylor did all those years ago ?. GT 'shambles' speech is well documented - perhaps less so document  is the way he fought his corner and put Ellis in his place. I worry that RDM won't be able to hack that side of it.

3 hours ago, Gary Thomas said:

Off the top of my head he also brought in Peter Odemwingie at West Brom I think

Dan Ashworth did most of the signings at West Brom, also got in Mulumbu on a free around that time who did very well for them.

Has the D.O/F/technical director position been totally abandoned? RDM served under that structure at West Brom.

I was going to say I really don't know what staff follow him around. Only name I can think of is Eddie Newton as they played together at Chelsea in the 90s and Newton was with him at West Brom and then went back to Chelsea. Think he's only a fitness coach though. Who were RDM's assistants at Schalke?

Im hoping Dr Tone goes all out to try convince Moyes to change his mind but seems that wont happen so would be happy with RDM he doesnt turn into a bad manager after 1 bad(ish) stint at Schalke.

1 hour ago, John said:

That is a real pity. But has he an escape clause in that contract which would allow him to join us and if we really wanted a manager that was currently with a club would it be beyond us now to pay his current club for his services?

If we have money to buy players surely it is worth spending some money to get the right manager in to sign players and let them go? This would bring managers like Hughton and Rowett into consideration to name but two in addition to those who are currently between jobs. 

It now again seems that RDM is the choice following his brief flirtation with Lazio having come to nothing. I had hoped our new manager would have been able to hit the ground running without needing to take too much valuable time to assess the squad he is left with. I'm sure for example that Pearson watched the odd Villa game or three last season with a view to possibly taking us over once the vacancy arose if not before as would have done others but I wonder how up to date RDM has kept with us and with football in general particularly outside of the PL? 

This managerial appointment is the most vital for our football club since we appointed Graham Taylor 29-years ago when we were in a similar situation. We got it right then and must get it right now.  

I find Hughton one of the most honourable managers around, no chance he walks weeks after signing a new deal.

Let's not forget with players leaving and money on top of that...we should have 30-40m to spend next season.

RDM would really have to balls things up not to get us challenging. No one going to check how much he spent at West Brom in summer 2009, I think you'll find it wasn't very much at all, more like good scouting which we desperately need at this club.

4 minutes ago, midian said:

Im hoping Dr Tone goes all out to try convince Moyes to change his mind but seems that wont happen so would be happy with RDM he doesnt turn into a bad manager after 1 bad(ish) stint at Schalke.

Moyes was yesterdays man IMO, he won't do anything of any note in football again

• Like 1

Moyes yes because what he done at everton.  Flores nope.

Blimey you have high standards. Did you know we were one of the worst performing top flight teams for decades last season?

We couldn't appoint a decent manager when we were regularly finishing top 6 so not sure what people are expecting a major manager now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Let's not forget with players leaving and money on top of that...we should have 30-40m to spend next season.

We had £50 million last summer and look how that panned out.............

Just now, mykeyb said:

We had £50 million last summer and look how that panned out.............

Arguably one of the most embarrassing transfer windows ever

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Dan Ashworth did most of the signings at West Brom, also got in Mulumbu on a free around that time who did very well for them.

Has the D.O/F/technical director position been totally abandoned? RDM served under that structure at West Brom.

I was going to say I really don't know what staff follow him around. Only name I can think of is Eddie Newton as they played together at Chelsea in the 90s and Newton was with him at West Brom and then went back to Chelsea. Think he's only a fitness coach though. Who were RDM's assistants at Schalke?

Lombardo was his assistant