Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

14 minutes ago, hippo said:

Fair point.

I would say at the time I think WBA were a yo-yo club - Relegation\promotion was business as usual for them.

For us it is an absolute calamity - the club seems in total chaos and turmoil both on and off the pitch - is he going to come in shake the club to its foundations like Graham Taylor did all those years ago ?. GT 'shambles' speech is well documented - perhaps less so document  is the way he fought his corner and put Ellis in his place. I worry that RDM won't be able to hack that side of it.

He still had to get them up though and he got them up very convincingly rather than scrapping through play offs.

You're acting like Lerner is still in charge here (well he technically is...). RDM will have a very very good budget for the division and yeah if we're miles off promotion at xmas RDM's job will be in danger as I'm sure Dr Tony won't be messing around with this investment. 

7 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

We had £50 million last summer and look how that panned out.............

We lost major major players at premier league level.

You don't need to  spend a huge amount at championship level to be significantly competitive. Above all else we need players in passionate about the club and ready to fight for it. Them having quality will help aswell. 

9 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Shite scouting team something Xia has already stated in the media are getting nuked, sure the team he appoints may not be any better but at least he's already figured out the general problem. He was also asked what his favourite player was and he responded saying "not many good ones". He knows what's up.. £50 million of Xia monies is likely going to be spent far more wisely than £50 million of Benteke/Snake monies. 

Edited by Daweii

26 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think it will be RDM.

He's clearly the man Dr Tony wants to appoint, his name only appeared with the takeover so I'd say stick to your guns and appoint him rather than Pearson who the Dr probably wouldn't have full confidence in (and neither would most of this forum).

I think Pearson would've been appointed by now given he's Hollis's choice and in the unlikely event of the takeover not happening....

You night be right, but Commollis name was also mentioned and he claims he has not been approached, or something along those lines. I myself am now confused over Pearson, or RDM. I wish we had a larger pool but we can't expect too much. Although Dwight is waiting in the wings just in case. The fact he mentioned championship, as well as European experience may just edge it for RDM I feel. I feel kinda sorry for Pearson because he has been patiently waiting.

7 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

Why on earth are Villa fans on Tw@tter gushing over LVG? Have I missed something? I didn't hear any mention of him in the CNN interview...

I think it's just because he's out of work and he's managed big clubs. I don't think we'd get him, and personally I wouldn't want him, the football he plays is dire.

10 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Yeah that was gross. Net was only allegedly £10 million and we did require replacing 3 key players as well as everything else. IIRC someone on here said the highest spenders last season in the Championship was £20 million. With us and Newcastle that is liekly to be broken this season, however £50 million would likely buy us a whole new squad if it was needed. The point Tony was making is that the manager will identify what he needs and we will spend accordingly. That is why the new manager is important, however what is more important is that whoever that manager is, that they are backed properly to enable them to do what they need to. 

RDM and Pearson are 2 very different managers but have historically done what we need them to do. If they are backed correctly then they should at the very least be getting us to challenge at the top of the table and get promoted straight away. That is why the backing is so much more important. Those that say along the lines of "never Pearson/Di Matteo as they will get us relegated again" are being naive and short sighted. Of course people can have their preferences, but their respective CVs both show they can achieve what we need; hence why they are so strongly linked/interviewed/mentioned/whatever. 

Whoever it is needs to be appointed ASAP and backed ASAP. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

I think it's just because he's out of work and he's managed big clubs. I don't think we'd get him, and personally I wouldn't want him, the football he plays is dire.

Looking at it, seems someone is claiming that the good Doctor has said we've spoken to him (LVG) and an announcement will be made shortly.... I don't recall that bit in the CNN interview! Think someone must be off school today...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Good quality Championship players dont cost £2 or £3 milllion these days unfortunately

No they cost about £8-£10 million. That said if we play it right we won't be looking to replace a whole squad with £50 million. If we can keep any of the semi-decent players from last season like Ayew, Amavi, Gana, Verteout, Gestede, Clark and to a lesser extent Grealish as he has potential still. If we can then buy some solid £6-£10 million players for the rest of the gaps we'll be golden. Yes £8-£10million gets you a good if not great Championship player, but many teams only have one or two players that good if at all. It only takes a club to buy up several of them and they are in a commanding position. 

6 minutes ago, Daweii said:

No they cost about £8-£10 million. That said if we play it right we won't be looking to replace a whole squad with £50 million. If we can keep any of the semi-decent players from last season like Ayew, Amavi, Gana, Verteout, Gestede, Clark and to a lesser extent Grealish as he has potential still. If we can then buy some solid £6-£10 million players for the rest of the gaps we'll be golden. Yes £8-£10million gets you a good if not great Championship player, but many teams only have one or two players that good if at all. It only takes a club to buy up several of them and they are in a commanding position. 

No they don't. Even Boro went up with a mixture of youth products, a few seasoned performers like Leadbitter and Adam Clayton who didn't cost all that much. Just because Rhodes cost 12m dosen't mean we have to sign every player for that amount. 

Both of the people we seem to be most heavily linked with have "history" of getting teams promoted from the Championship - this I suspect is the one of the (if not the main) criteria that our advisers have identified when it comes to selecting our next manager.  I think Moyes' identification of the fact that we maybe need three different teams to get back to a Top 6 team - may have triggered thoughts about whether we also need three different managers.  Moyes and RDM both have experience of competing at the top of the Premiership and in Europe - so may potentially have gained the upper hand with that consideration.  However, I think that the new Board will also be considering other non-footballing issues as well.  Let's not forget that Xia's aim is to crack the Chinese market - so he is going to want a manager that not only brings results on the pitch - but is also likely to be able to appeal to potential new fans in China.  In this respect I do think that maybe RDM and Moyes' demeanours would probably put them ahead of a slightly more combustible Pearson (although I've not really studied their pre/post match interviews so I may be being unfair here).  Obviously the main factor has to be getting someone in who can deliver results on the pitch quickly - but I feel that we're also going to need someone who can help with the building of the Villa "brand" (even if it is just showing their interviews on TV, media, etc). 

16 minutes ago, Daweii said:

No they cost about £8-£10 million. That said if we play it right we won't be looking to replace a whole squad with £50 million.

Well that would equate to 5 or 6 players so half a team, is that enough?

Just now, mykeyb said:

Well that would equate to 5 or 6 players so half a team, is that enough?

Possibly depending how much of the "good" players we manage to keep. We'll also be utilising the good players from our youth setup as well. Of course the amount we can spend on great Championship players ultimately depends on how much of the core starting 11 leave this Summer. The more that leave the more the budget has to stretch to buy more and more players. So the goal should be to keep the likes of Ayew, Gana, Veretout, Gestede, Adama, Clark, Okore, Grealish and build around them. I think a selection of those hopefully all of them plus some players used to the Championship will make for a strong side. 

We need a new back 5 a couple of midfielders and at least 1 striker as a minimum so thats 8 players so an average of £6 million a piece although your striker and keeper will probably command top whack.

Whoever it is I just hope they don't copy and paste the last umpteen managers first statement of intent (clean slate for all yada yada) nonsense, "we are crap, have been for 5 years, players here just aren't good enough" something along those lines would be nice to hear. 

We need to come storming out the gates next season because, yes, it's not the best league in the world but it's probably the hardest to get out of. For me, Di Matteo isn't the one to lead us that way but Pearson maybe is. Just my opinion of course.