Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

7 minutes ago, ccfcman said:

Not a solitary fact in that post at all yet damning in the extreme.

You're isolating his entire managerial career (which has been largely successful) into one night and the take away point is purely conjecture. 

Largely successful?  Thats a total Myth.  

He was sacked by Chelsea 3 months into the new season after winning the CL.  (He gave Chelsea players free rein to play the way they wanted when he took over and he admits that.  Said AVB was to technical and complicated things.

He was sacked by West Brom 6 months after getting them promoted

He was sacked by Schalke 6 months after being appointed

Won nothing with MK Dons.  Unless you are happy with getting beat in the first round of play offs.

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Jose Mourinho also got sacked.

Exactly this. Wins the league, gone within the year.

Having looked it up, Chelsea were third and four points off top when Di Matteo got sacked. His dismissal from them doesn't count against him for me.

1 hour ago, Gary Thomas said:

He is still relatively young and inexperienced, but his record is nowhere near as bad as some on here are suggesting. 

- MK Dons.  First season, finished 3rd in League One behind Leicester and Peterborough

- West Brom. First season, finished 2nd in the Championship behind Newcastle

- Chelsea. Won FA Cup and UEFA Champions League

- FC Schalke. Advanced from their Champions League group, beat Real Madrid in Madrid, finished sixth

Not having a go. Just putting these into a bit of context.

*MK Dons destroyed league two the year before he joined. In league one they lost out on promotion by Leicester, who were relegated from the championship, and Peterborough, who finished below MK Dons in L2 the previous season. In the playoffs MKDons lost to Scunthorpe (also relegated from the championship) in the semi finals) 

*WBA - in the championship, finished behind a strong Newcastle side and promoted with 3 games to go. Newcastle finished only 2 points ahead in the previous PL season. Point of note, Leicester finished 5th in the championship, the same Leicester from the previous season in L1. Following PL season he wins manager of month in September, but sacked in February for 1 win in 10 games. WBA eventually finish 11th, one spot above Newcastle.

*Chelsea - applied and failed to get Birmingham job, eventually became assistant then caretaker of Chelsea. Impressively won champions league (on pens) and FA Cup. Made manager for following season, lost charity shield and euro super cup, and sacked in November after poor CL campaign. Payoff settlement never agreed and continued to be paid £130k p/w til June.

*Schalke - good CL campaign. Lost 2-0 to Madrid at home before a 4-3 win in Madrid (lost 5-4 on agg). Took them from 11th to 6th in the league, qualifying for Europa league. Run of two wins in 10 costs them CL spot. Resigns in May.

Just thought it'd be handy to see the bad bits as well as the positives. Haven't decided between him and Pearson yet. But from his past experiences in the top flights he can be a bit hit and miss. The long runs without wins is particularly concerning.

Edited by Duck
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

He was sacked by Chelsea 3 months into the new season after winning the CL.  (He gave Chelsea players free rein to play the way they wanted when he took over and he admits that.  Said AVB was to technical and complicated things.

Won nothing with MK Dons.  Unless you are happy with getting beat in the first round of play offs.

Bolding your text doesn't make it any more correct, it's a little like increasing ones volume in a verbal debate. Largely successful rather did imply the notion it wasn't wholly successful, you could say, a little unsuccesful.

I've a newsflash for you. We've won nothing in a long time, we just got relegated. He has Championship and European experience. He has very many of the qualities we are looking for. Though not massively important, in his playing career - he is one of the better players to move from Europe to English football.  . His win records are for the most part rather decent. 

Just because Tony says we'll be bigger than Barcelona doesn't mean we should think we already are. We've had MON, Houllier, McLeish, Lambert, Tim and Garde as our managers over the last while. It is fair to say, we're not exactly the draw we may perceives ourselves to be.

9 hours ago, avfcwills10 said:

Chris Houghton signed a 4 year extension at Brighton about 2 weeks ago.....

That is a real pity. But has he an escape clause in that contract which would allow him to join us and if we really wanted a manager that was currently with a club would it be beyond us now to pay his current club for his services?

If we have money to buy players surely it is worth spending some money to get the right manager in to sign players and let them go? This would bring managers like Hughton and Rowett into consideration to name but two in addition to those who are currently between jobs. 

It now again seems that RDM is the choice following his brief flirtation with Lazio having come to nothing. I had hoped our new manager would have been able to hit the ground running without needing to take too much valuable time to assess the squad he is left with. I'm sure for example that Pearson watched the odd Villa game or three last season with a view to possibly taking us over once the vacancy arose if not before as would have done others but I wonder how up to date RDM has kept with us and with football in general particularly outside of the PL? 

This managerial appointment is the most vital for our football club since we appointed Graham Taylor 29-years ago when we were in a similar situation. We got it right then and must get it right now.  

1 minute ago, ccfcman said:

Bolding your text doesn't make it any more correct, it's a little like increasing ones volume in a verbal debate. Largely successful rather did imply the notion it wasn't wholly successful, you could say, a little unsuccesful.

I've a newsflash for you. We've won nothing in a long time, we just got relegated. He has Championship and European experience. He has very many of the qualities we are looking for. Though not massively important, in his playing career - he is one of the better players to move from Europe to English football.  . His win records are for the most part rather decent. 

Just because Tony says we'll be bigger than Barcelona doesn't mean we should think we already are. We've had MON, Houllier, McLeish, Lambert, Tim and Garde as our managers over the last while. It is fair to say, we're not exactly the draw we may perceives ourselves to be.

Ive a news flash for you, he doesnt have the qualities we need.  Rarely at a club 12 months before he gets the boot.  That should tell you something.

Just now, HeyAnty said:

Ive a news flash for you, he doesnt have the qualities we need.  Rarely at a club 12 months before he gets the boot.  That should tell you something.

It tells me he was rarely at a club longer than 12 months. Nothing else.

16 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

I dont mind if he gets sacked 6 months after getting us back in the premier league.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Sorry but this not true at all Di Matteo signed Hazard, and Oscar at Chelsea. Where has Sherwood signed those calibre type players? 

Lets be honest though mate, RDM probably had as much imput in those signings as José had with Shevchenko.

I think whoever we get as manager, the back room staff and new scouting network are going to be vital to any success. I don't think we've had the right coaches to back the manager for some time.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Flores got sacked by Watford, would you want him? Moyes was sacked by Man U and Santander, would you want him?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, hippo said:

Actually re reading Xia's  interview - I don't think RDM is the done deal - he only says 'Thats why people think I favour De Matteo'

I thought the same after reading his interview, I'm not sure how people took that as a definite sign RDM was going to be appointed. 

That said, he has mentioned RDM twice in interviews now, unless I've missed it he hasn't mentioned any other names?

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Flores got sacked by Watford, would you want him? Moyes was sacked by Man U and Santander, would you want him?

Moyes yes because what he done at everton.  Flores nope.

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

With our current crop of f***wits, RDM is exactly the type of manager we don't need.

I'll get behind him but I'm far from inspired. 

I dont know about that. He has won major trophies as a player and manager. I think there would be respect there, far more respect than for a french tv pundit who was appointed purely on the basis of what language he spoke

• Like 1

If it is RDM then underwhelmed is my feeling. Not a fan of Pearson either but would be more confident of promotion if he is appointed.

I still think the appointment will be a surprise to us though.

57 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Actually that can work sometimes, MON managed a similar way, he didnt do hands on coaching and gave players extra days off after good performances. He was great at motivation and set the formation but the players largely had free reign under him which is why it worked. When Houllier first came in with Duverne there was initially all sorts of problems as his approach was totally different. Keeping players happy is actually the most important job as a manager, LvG had this problem at United. You cant knock RDM for his approach as it's an approach that worked unlike AvB as they were failing, they won two trophies. The approach worked did it not? Champions league winners?

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

With our current crop of f***wits, RDM is exactly the type of manager we don't need.

I'll get behind him but I'm far from inspired. 

Will he have to manage that crop of f***wits though?  Most will leave or be shown the door, replaced by better players who are on-board.  I know long-term contracts are an issue but Xia could pay off a few to get them out if needbe. The ideal scenario would be some of our better players, who could do well in the championship, like the sound of the new regime and manager decide to stay with us.  Then we build on that core by adding 6-7 experienced quality performers in key positions.  I think RDM or Pearson could handle that.

Edited by Gary Thomas