Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

4 hours ago, mykeyb said:

We need a new back 5 a couple of midfielders and at least 1 striker as a minimum so thats 8 players so an average of £6 million a piece although your striker and keeper will probably command top whack.

Never heard of the loan market mate?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodytom said:

I also wouldn't be totally against somebody like ryan giggs. It won't happen obviously but I think he's probably developed quite a bit over the last couple of years and would undoubtedly give us access to a couple of decent loanees.

Roy Hodgson (after the euros)?

Careful, I asked whether anyone would have Giggsy a few pages back and the answer was "**** no" ;)

I really don't know whether he will make a manager or not but I think there's something about him that makes me think he could be a good one. Nothing other than a feeling though obviously and probably swayed by the fact I'm a similar age and followed his whole career. 

Roy would have been good a few years ago, I could see him laying down some good foundations probably though. I just don't see him wanting to end his career with a project like us. He'll want a chance of winning something after some great work with the national squad.

3 minutes ago, Jarpie said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they announce the new manager at 28th day, as AFAIK number 8 symbolizes luck or good fortune to the chinese.

what does 28 symbolise? football nouse?

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Can you honestly not see the problem with highlighting the most expensive signing ever for this division and then treating it as some kind of average?

A little more fact-based, I found a 'most expensive XI' from last summer:

-------------------------------------Smithies (QPR 1.2m)----------------------------------

Wiggins (Weds 0.75m)--Bjelland (Brent 2.1m)--Shackell (Der 3m)--Odubajo (Hull 3.5m)

------------------------Butterfield (Der 4m)-----------Johnson (Der 6m)--------------------

--------------Downing (Boro 5.5m)----Forestieri (Weds 3m)----Ince (Der 4.75m)---------

-------------------------------------------Gray (Burn 9m)------------------------------------

So precisely one player in the eight to ten million pound bracket then.

(my apologies mods, I don't know how to copy things on an iPad. The link was from gazette live.co.uk, dated 4th Sep 2015 written by Jonathan Taylor). 

Even thought the validity of the argument cannot be made by just putting together the most expensive signing in every position and say there you go you can do it for that,  that team is still 43M.  I'd argue we need 8 or 9 players at an average (43/11) of the team above that is still 32M or thereabouts and ignores the following

1. We need players desperately all over the park - selling teams know this

2. We have money according to our prospective owner - teams know this

3. More money in the game means prices go up

4.We need players for now and for next season should be promoted,  they tend to cost a bit more.

So while 12M for Jordan Rhodes may not be the average price I think we need to spent at least that amount on two or three players and around 5-6M average on 5 others.

7 minutes ago, Jarpie said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they announce the new manager at 28th day, as AFAIK number 8 symbolizes luck or good fortune to the chinese.

New owner will be wanting to change Idrissa Gueye's squad number for next season then.

Edited by The Moustache of Teale

Depends who we keep really....not every player we keep will be a disaster zone in the championship...some will probably actually show their quality and play pretty well at a lower league e.g. Okore, Amavi, Grealish, Adama and Gestede.

Plus with the rumoured release clauses it seems we can raise about 20m from selling 3-4 players.

We certainly need to build from the back and get in a reliable keeper and a couple of solid centre halfs. Get that right and the rest of team building gets easier as I do think there are talented players in attack IF they actually get given proper minutes on the pitch. 

20 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Careful, I asked whether anyone would have Giggsy a few pages back and the answer was "**** no" ;)

I really don't know whether he will make a manager or not but I think there's something about him that makes me think he could be a good one. 

One of them where you don't want to miss out on a gem. I felt the same about solskjaer :D.

21 minutes ago, romavillan said:

He'll want a chance of winning something.

Yeah, championship title, fa cup, league cup treble.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mantis said:

Do you have actually have any hard evidence? In any case, is it even relevant? It's clear that there are significant numbers who don't want Pearson. It's perfectly understandable that some people are pleased he's apparently snubbed us.

Fine. I disagree but at the same time I can at least understand that not everyone is going to want Moyes. I'm not going to start telling you that you shouldn't be happy Moyes rejected us.

Excuse me, you want me to deal in facts and you to deal in opinions.....you don't want much.

your opinion is no better than my opinion....its an opinion.

To satisfy your lust for fact.....There was a poll on the internet where NP got 75% vote to be next manager.

don't ask me where as I can't remember.....the poll is a fact.....its validity is how you want to perceive it.....I would guess you will find a way of pulling it asunder.

1 hour ago, Jarpie said:

Surely they would do on the 8th of August then.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Excuse me, you want me to deal in facts and you to deal in opinions.....you don't want much.

your opinion is no better than my opinion....its an opinion.

To satisfy your lust for fact.....There was a poll on the internet where NP got 75% vote to be next manager.

don't ask me where as I can't remember.....the poll is a fact.....its validity is how you want to perceive it.....I would guess you will find a way of pulling it asunder.

I think you need to go back and read my post again. I never claimed or implied that my opinion is somehow better so I don't know how you came to that conclusion. What I am tired of though is other people trying to scold others for not wanting Saint Nigel - it's absurd.

I think I found the poll you're talking about, but it actually has 66% in favour of Pearson. Also, the question is actually "Is Pearson the right man for Villa", which is a tad different to asking people who their choice is.

So what is your actual point here? At least a very large minority do not want Pearson so why do you find it so hard to understand that some people might be happy about him snubbing us?

Edited by Mantis

Slight aside, now he's turned us down, but Benitez staying at Newcastle makes Moyes decision not to drop down just that little bit more odd.

So either he thinks he's better than that (and therefore Benitez), he isn't capable of doing the job (unlikely) or, most worryingly, something to do with the impending set up worried him enough to stay unemployed.

I just want the manager in now - I know the takeover has slowed things down but is this the longest period we've not had a permanent manager in place? We're going to be approaching TWO MONTHS soon (he officially left end of March but really he'd left a month before that, it was just agreeing paperwork).

Come on, get it done this week.

9 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I think you need to go back and read my post again. I never claimed or implied that my opinion is somehow better so I don't know how you came to that conclusion. What I am tired of though is other people trying to scold others for not wanting Saint Nigel - it's absurd.

I think I found the poll you're talking about, but it actually has 66% in favour of Pearson. Also, the question is actually "Is Pearson the right man for Villa", which is a tad different to asking people who their choice is.

So what is your actual point here? At least a very large minority do not want Pearson so why do you find it so hard to understand that some people might be happy about him snubbing us?

Because you wallow in it....as some kind of point scoring exercise.

I favour Nigel Pearson and I have the criteria to support it.I have no interest in trying to persuade you or anyone else to his favour.

I haven't heard you nail your colours to any mast yet, you may have done and I missed it....you seem to have spent more time rubbishing Pearson.

why you spend time criticising Nigel Pearsons claim and not promoting your own favoured manager, i have no idea.

as for the wording of the poll....that is desperate semantics....you know what they are saying.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Can you honestly not see the problem with highlighting the most expensive signing ever for this division and then treating it as some kind of average?

A little more fact-based, I found a 'most expensive XI' from last summer:

-------------------------------------Smithies (QPR 1.2m)----------------------------------

Wiggins (Weds 0.75m)--Bjelland (Brent 2.1m)--Shackell (Der 3m)--Odubajo (Hull 3.5m)

------------------------Butterfield (Der 4m)-----------Johnson (Der 6m)--------------------

--------------Downing (Boro 5.5m)----Forestieri (Weds 3m)----Ince (Der 4.75m)---------

-------------------------------------------Gray (Burn 9m)------------------------------------

So precisely one player in the eight to ten million pound bracket then.

(my apologies mods, I don't know how to copy things on an iPad. The link was from gazette live.co.uk, dated 4th Sep 2015 written by Jonathan Taylor). 

Well it wasn't meant as an average, I was simply pointing out that top quality championship players will be hard to find for 1 or 2 million. We might get lucky with a free signing but would suggest even then the higher wages will negate the lack of a fee being paid.

Also bear in mind our new owner has announced he will spend up to £50 million so with the increase in TV money its safe to assume that players prices at the lower end will go up when we enquire.

Of course RDM might have a list of European players he can get cheaper to add to those we already have who proved to be a bit of a mixed bag.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Excuse me, you want me to deal in facts

You should be busy at the Big Market

33588564.jpg