Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

Just now, Mantis said:

You're missing my point. It's not their final points tally I find worrying but rather the way in which they were absolutely terrible up until about March/April.

They started the season off o.k...started with 

2-2 Everton

2-0 loss to Chelsea

1-1 v Arsenal

1-0 win v Stoke

5-3 win over Man. United.

It's a newly promoted team, you're going to have a really poor run at some stage as Bournemouth also had before xmas and Watford have had since xmas. Is Eddie Howe a really poor manager for losing to us?

Anyway why are we judging Pearson's premier league record btw seeing as we're ceasing to be one in two weeks so his championship record becomes more important then.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

They started the season off o.k...started with 

2-2 Everton

2-0 loss to Chelsea

1-1 v Arsenal

1-0 win v Stoke

5-3 win over Man. United.

It's a newly promoted team, you're going to have a really poor run at some stage as Bournemouth also had before xmas and Watford have had since xmas. Is Eddie Howe a really poor manager for losing to us?

Anyway why are we judging Pearson's premier league record btw seeing as we're ceasing to be one in two weeks so his championship record becomes more important then.

You're still missing the point - they were diabolical from September to March.That's a prolonged period of time and until their run at the end of the season they were set to be one of the worst ever PL teams ever. Obviously the final points tally is all that matters but I'm not convinced that that run at the end of the season wasn't just a fluke*. And it's relevant because if we do come up we're going to need to stay up.

*For the record, I don't think Leicester's performance this season has been a fluke (although they have been quite lucky at times).

Whether it be Pearson or someone else, one thing is for sure that unless we have new owners, the new manager is going to have to work to a budget.  Now I have said this many times over, like many others on here, previous Villa managers have talked about having financial restraints, needing to reduce the wage bill etc etc, but the fact is we have bought very poorly over the last five/six years. Players like Ireland, Davies, N'Zogbia to name a few.  Players with no sell on value.  When we have attempted to buy cheaper from the lower leagues and abroad, we appear to have done that badly.  Teams like Leicester, Bournemouth, Southampton, Swansea, Watford etc have had far smaller budgets than ours, but appear to have bought the right mix of players in the main.   One example of this is Marc Albrighton - he may not get the star headlines week in week out, but he is willing, a real worker and appears to have the right attitude.  I don't particularly care anymore who the manager is, but hope that they can build the right team to firstly gain promotion, maintain a footing in the Premiership, then push for a consistent top ten finish.  Not going to be easy this job, but not impossible and a manager needing money to rebuild isn't the answer.  A manager that can lead, have respect, is savvy in the market and can coach are the main ingredients required. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Mantis said:

You're still missing the point - they were diabolical from September to March.That'srolonged period of time and until their run at the end of the season they were set to be one of the worst ever PL teams ever. Obviously the final points tally is all that matters but I'm not convinced that that run at the end of the season wasn't just a fluke*. And it's relevant because if we do come up we're going to need to stay up.

*For the record, I don't think Leicester's performance this season has been a fluke (although they have been quite lucky at times).

I've a good mate who is a Leicester ST holder and all last season he kept saying how results didn't match the performances they put in. I don't think the end to last season was a fluke. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

Whether it be Pearson or someone else, one thing is for sure that unless we have new owners, the new manager is going to have to work to a budget.  Now I have said this many times over, like many others on here, previous Villa managers have talked about having financial restraints, needing to reduce the wage bill etc etc, but the fact is we have bought very poorly over the last five/six years. Players like Ireland, Davies, N'Zogbia to name a few.  Players with no sell on value.  When we have attempted to buy cheaper from the lower leagues and abroad, we appear to have done that badly.  Teams like Leicester, Bournemouth, Southampton, Swansea, Watford etc have had far smaller budgets than ours, but appear to have bought the right mix of players in the main.   One example of this is Marc Albrighton - he may not get the star headlines week in week out, but he is willing, a real worker and appears to have the right attitude.  I don't particularly care anymore who the manager is, but hope that they can build the right team to firstly gain promotion, maintain a footing in the Premiership, then push for a consistent top ten finish.  Not going to be easy this job, but not impossible and a manager needing money to rebuild isn't the answer.  A manager that can lead, have respect, is savvy in the market and can coach are the main ingredients required. 

Moyes has always impressed me in this regard from his time at Everton.  He got some outstanding value for money from almost every footballing background (ok there was the the odd dud signing but nobody gets it right 100%).  I'm hoping that if Celtic are looking at Lambert, Moyes has said no to them and is waiting to see what happens with a takeover here.

5 hours ago, dn1982 said:

Can you name some of these other achievable managers?? In an ideal world Pearson wouldn't be me my first choice but we are where we are and we need a certain type. Pearson fits that bill. 

Moyes who has already reportedly said that he's interested in the job?

I think there have been many other managers linked with comparable C.V's to Pearson who are not complete and utter prize pricks either

By certain types i assume you mean to sort the dressing room out and show pashun?

Edited by AshVilla

6 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Moyes has always impressed me in this regard from his time at Everton.  He got some outstanding value for money from almost every footballing background (ok there was the the odd dud signing but nobody gets it right 100%).  I'm hoping that if Celtic are looking at Lambert, Moyes has said no to them and is waiting to see what happens with a takeover here.

I like Moyes but don't like the fact that we may be waiting for a take over to happen first.  Moreover, does Moyes need convincing? Don't know if anyone else heard it, but Ray Wilkins was on Talksport last week and when discussing Moyes he said that the Villa and Celtic jobs wouldn't interest him one iota! Only a Premiership job was going to interest him!!  Make of that what you will. 

3 hours ago, theboyangel said:

^^^^ Quique Sanchez Flores also got Watford out of the league after they tried a bucket load of managers.

Slavisa Jokanovic might take issue with this post.

;)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I like Moyes but don't like the fact that we may be waiting for a take over to happen first.  Moreover, does Moyes need convincing? Don't know if anyone else heard it, but Ray Wilkins was on Talksport last week and when discussing Moyes he said that the Villa and Celtic jobs wouldn't interest him one iota! Only a Premiership job was going to interest him!!  Make of that what you will. 

I don't see that matters. The players continue to be shite week in week out. Loads will leave at the end of the season, including many we would like to keep, so there is no value in a manager coming in right now as he will have nothing to work on in the longer term.

Given we are in extended / advanced negotiations with apparently three parties a takeover is hopefully happening pretty soon anyway. Depending on who that is it might very well change the sort of manager we could attract anyway. TBH too if I was Pearson, Moyes or whoever I would want to see who is the new owner and how they view the club before joining, particularly with regard to budgets.

As for Wilkins…...

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Harry said:

I don't see that matters. The players continue to be shite week in week out. Loads will leave at the end of the season, including many we would like to keep, so there is no value in a manager coming in right now as he will have nothing to work on in the longer term.

Given we are in extended / advanced negotiations with apparently three parties a takeover is hopefully happening pretty soon anyway. Depending on who that is it might very well change the sort of manager we could attract anyway. TBH too if I was Pearson, Moyes or whoever I would want to see who is the new owner and how they view the club before joining, particularly with regard to budgets.

As for Wilkins…...

Wouldn't disagree with your post  but the timing of the new manager is key in my opinion.  We have a head start on two current Premiership clubs knowing that we are down and a head start on some Championship clubs, who don't know if they are going up yet.  We currently have an advantage over others and  I certainly don't want to be rudderless going into pre-season that's for sure.  

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 1

While I get the hatred for Black, and it's obvious he's no good as a manager, it doesn't follow that he'd be no good as an assistant. It's a different role, probably more his level - there are many good AMs/coaches who couldn't cut it in the top job. If it turns out to be Pearson and Black I wouldn't assume that spells disaster. You just never know.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

While I get the hatred for Black, and it's obvious he's no good as a manager, it doesn't follow that he'd be no good as an assistant. It's a different role, probably more his level - there are many good AMs/coaches who couldn't cut it in the top job. If it turns out to be Pearson and Black I wouldn't assume that spells disaster. You just never know.

Managers almost always bring in their own backroom staff and so I'd doubt Black will be kept on as an assistant. I'd much rather he left the club on the same day as Gabby, N'Zogbia and all the other failures. The new manager needs a clean slate.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Quique would be brilliant for this club....he'll have much better offers though. He manages at the top level as his career suggests.

he will but he is a top coach but I dont think he be good as a manager though, one of reasons he is wanted out at Watford is the signings he wanted have failed like Jurado and Amrabat and the good signing came from the sporting director

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I dont even think he is a good assistant.  To me it was no coincidence that we totally went to hell shortly after he came in.  Yes there were other things happened but him coming in was a major one.

The damage was done way before Black arrived, but he has been unable to redress any of it....just pick 11 players.

He was a safe pair of hands and nothing better....I respect him for just seeing the season out for us.

Its all been a mitigating disaster.

One thing is for sure, if Randy and his cronies are still here next season, along with our current transfer strategy, then not even Pep Guardiola and Alex Fergusons' love child could save us. We need to allow the new manager to have the final say on transfers and provide him with a significant transfer kitty or else he has no chance. (See Remi Garde)

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Well, according to alot of pundits and people in the game, he is a highly regarded coach. So I think you are onto something.

7 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Moyes who has already reportedly said that he's interested in the job?

I think there have been many other managers linked with comparable C.V's to Pearson who are not complete and utter prize pricks either

By certain types i assume you mean to sort the dressing room out and show pashun?

For God sake cant you make your point without using that silly word ?

• Like 1