Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

I'm fairly certain a fan of another club could come on here, quote one person and have their evidence that one of Lambert, Sherwood, Garde, or McLeish were great managers for us. Or that Bannan, or Reo-Coker were world class midfielders. That doesn't make it right or wrong, either way.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Richard said:
30 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Nope? surely he is allowed to hope isn't he :)

This is Villa, hope dont live here anymore

Pass me some rope and I'll make a noose :)

I can't speak for Brian but whilst I may not be optimistic at the moment I will never lose hope and whilst it remains in a few of us then it lives with in Villa.

47 minutes ago, Richard said:

It constantly amazes me how the notion that they resigned because the owner failed to promise the resources necessary to make the changes they identified seems so incredibly hard for people to grasp

I can't work out if you're agreeing with me or not ha.  The owner would refuse to fund the changes necessary if a takeover is in progress/negotiation.  It wound be a bit like being in negotiations to sell your house but then deciding to build an extension.  You just wouldn't do it.  

19 minutes ago, jon_c said:

I'm fairly certain a fan of another club could come on here, quote one person and have their evidence that one of Lambert, Sherwood, Garde, or McLeish were great managers for us. Or that Bannan, or Reo-Coker were world class midfielders. That doesn't make it right or wrong, either way.

Problem is this is the concensus amongst a large section of not only fans, but pundits, and several in the game. either way it is all a proper bullshit argument for people who simply don't like Pearson. As I have said several times, we need to stop hiring managers and just hire backroom staff from winning teams, based on these arguments.

• Like 1

Yup his Leicester team plsyed well just struggled for goals even though they created loads. If people's concerns are that Parsons backroom staff are at Leicester still,  why can't he create a similar backroom setup here? 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

They were extremely shit for 75% of the season.

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

Yup his Leicester team plsyed well just struggled for goals even though they created loads. If people's concerns are that Parsons backroom staff are at Leicester still,  why can't he create a similar backroom setup here? 

49 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Leicester were very unlucky last season and werent getting much rub of the green in some games

Guest av1

Leicester under Pearson = 20th

Leicester under Ranieri   = 1st

I'd say that the difference was down to more than a bit of luck.

Guest av1
1 minute ago, Zatman said:

they finished 14th under Pearson, hence why still in Premier League this season

Yes of course, I'm tired :). I think the point remains, the difference under the two is remarkable. I'll admit that i don't like the fella, but i could see past that if i rated him as a manager. The fact is, i think the guy is bang average manager and a utter word removed to boot. I really don't want the guy. 

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Stevo please! You really aren't prepared to view the bigger picture re Pearson or his tenure at Leicester are you?  Several posts on here all point to  the foxes being very unlucky on many occasions last season. I don't recall them being " shit" as you choose to call them.

if you don't like him that's fair enough I couldn't care less, but  feel you have to do better than this!. As I said in an earlier post they displayed title winning form at the back end of last season and quite clearly this momentum carried on at the start of this season. I am very surprised that people are reluctant to give him any praise for Leicester's achievement this season ( funny when you hear their players/fans doing just this)  and I feel it's more about his personality than his ability as a football manager.

i will leave you with  this- Ron Saunders/ Tony Barton . You do the maths!

What's weird is that is you read the Leicester thread in other football. One guy said they've been lucky this season and is getting completely shot down. 

But on the reverse there is an exponential swing in results this season because Pearson was unlucky?

I suppose you could argue the swing is exaggerated by Pearson's bad luck and Ranieri's good luck.

But if that is the case, I sure as hell don't want an unlucky manager here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

Stevo please! You really aren't prepared to view the bigger picture re Pearson or his tenure at Leicester are you?  Several posts on here all point to  the foxes being very unlucky on many occasions last season. I don't recall them being " shit" as you choose to call them.

if you don't like him that's fair enough I couldn't care less, but  feel you have to do better than this!. As I said in an earlier post they displayed title winning form at the back end of last season and quite clearly this momentum carried on at the start of this season. I am very surprised that people are reluctant to give him any praise for Leicester's achievement this season ( funny when you hear their players/fans doing just this)  and I feel it's more about his personality than his ability as a football manager.

i will leave you with  this- Ron Saunders/ Tony Barton . You do the maths!

They were bottom of the table for most of the season. That's not down to luck. A few posts in here claiming they were lucky isn't proof.

I give him plenty of credit for the job he did at Leicester.

But as I've said a million times, he did nothing more than plenty of other managers have done. He's not special. If he was special then it would make up for the fact that he's a complete psychopath. But as it is it doesn't make up for that.

Its absurd that he gets so much credit for Leicester's success this season. 

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

That isnt true they started well, hit a bit of bad form (but also received some very bad decisions against them) then they went on a great run towards end of season.

Anyone remember this? Give me scoring 5 against united any day then this negative shit that we have had recently 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

That isnt true they started well, hit a bit of bad form (but also received some very bad decisions against them) then they went on a great run towards end of season.

Anyone remember this? Give me scoring 5 against united any day then this negative shit that we have had recently 

Yeah I remember that. That was the last game they won before they went on a run of 13 games without a victory. And even then they only won 2 of the next 24 games.

I'm sure that was all just bad luck though :rolleyes:

They did have a number of bad decisions against them, however for me regardless of bad form he turned it around and that's what its important. To say they were crap 75% of the season would have meant they should have been relegated not finished 14th. Further more if you look at all their league fixtures they didnt lose a game by more than 2-0 goals.

No doubt Pearson helped put foundations in place. Would they have won the league under Pearson this season? Probably not. But I reckon they would have been top 10 under him and that itself would have been a great goal for them this season

Look at his transfer business as well, he got Ulloa, Alby, Cambassio all for less than 10million.We spent 5x that amount on a shower of shit. 

I would prefer Pearson over Fistface or Mccarthy that's for sure. Not my first or second choice but I dont think he is a bad choice either. Like I have said previously, his stock is high at the moment so credit to him for taking the job as we are obviously in oblivion at present. 

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

They did have a number of bad decisions against them, however for me regardless of bad form he turned it around and that's what its important. To say they were crap 75% of the season would have meant they should have been relegated not finished 14th. Further more if you look at all their league fixtures they didnt lose a game by more than 2-0 goals.

He did turn it around. And like I said he deserves credit for that. But people are talking as if they had an amazing season. They didn't. They were shite. Bailed out by an admittedly very good run at the end of the season.

And the better they do this season, the more credit Pearson seems to be getting. It makes no sense. It would be like if Garde had won all his games, people giving Sherwood all the credit.

Not losing by more than 2 goals is really scraping the barrel for positives. If you lost every game 1-0 you could still say that.

Edited by Stevo985

We haven't even got Pearson yet. With the speed the club are moving, there's a very good chance he will get an offer to elsewhere and take IMO. The club will then unveil Remi Garde MKII just before the season starts, he will probably have done reasonably well at some minor league somewhere sometime in the past.

For where we are, and the bozo's that run our club, Id take Pearson right now.