Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

he's a monumental arsehole

You're entitled to your view, but I don't believe he is. I think that under severe pressure of a relegation fight he behaved badly 2 or 3 times over a short period of time.

A number of managers come across as brusque with the media - including Ron Saunders and that Alex Fergie man that there was at Trafford Town. And Mourinho did some fairly (very) oafish things. Turns out though that they did OK.

I think I'm saying trying to see what someone is like solely from their attitude when in press conferences or when losing at football is not necessarily the best way to judge someone. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, blandy said:

You're entitled to your view, but I don't believe he is. I think that under severe pressure of a relegation fight he behaved badly 2 or 3 times over a short period of time.

A number of managers come across as brusque with the media - including Ron Saunders and that Alex Fergie man that there was at Trafford Town. And Mourinho did some fairly (very) oafish things. Turns out though that they did OK.

I think I'm saying trying to see what someone is like solely from their attitude when in press conferences or when losing at football is not necessarily the best way to judge someone. 

His actions also kept the pressure off of his players which is good management which ultimately reaped the benefits in them staying up. If you look at how our players folded under the pressure it shows how well he did to jeep team spirit up until results turned. 

6 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

His actions also kept the pressure off of his players which is good management which ultimately reaped the benefits in them staying up. If you look at how our players folded under the pressure it shows how well he did to jeep team spirit up until results turned. 

I don't think that's a very good comparison - Leicester's players (both last season and this season) are clearly a lot mentally tougher than our bunch of imbeciles.

2 hours ago, mattyvilla said:

Which is twice as long as the previous manager , says more about the club than Mcleish to be honest

Considering he last 65 days at Zamelek, 6 months at Genk, a few weeks at Forest and a season at Villa I think it says more about Mcleish to be honest.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Ron Saunders, Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourinho all made up for their attitude and demeanour by being very very good managers.

Pearson isn't a very very good manager.

This is what people seem to be unable to grasp. People like I am not judging Pearson SOLELY on his personality. What we're saying is he isn't good enough to justify his personality whereas others are.

It's all well and good being a prick if you're a good manager. If you're a prick and no better than loads of other candidates, well you're just a prick.

There are a good handful of managers out there who are as good if not better than Pearson at managing, and aren't liabilities personality wise.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mantis said:
1 hour ago, dn1982 said:

I don't think that's a very good comparison - Leicester's players (both last season and this season) are clearly a lot mentally tougher than our bunch of imbeciles.

I think you are spot on. He was also the manager when most of those players were signed so would have had a big influence in putting together a squad of players with the right characters that had plenty of fight, heart and desire. It is also fair to say that a manager can, in fact would be expected, to have a big influence on the players and be responsible for ensuring they put a shift especially when the chips are down.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Teams generally reflect their manager and good managers take the pressure off of them to enable them to perform. Look at how Sherwood blamed the foreign signing and split the dressing room? Pearson took all the pressure. I know which one worked best! 

8 hours ago, davemk39 said:

lambert and mcleish both out of work now.

Out of the managers that have worked under Lerner in fact on MON is actually employed right now and that's in international football!

Whilst the McLeish and Lambert situations have a lot of issues with the clubs as well, it shows that Villa managers rarely do anything better following us, Graham Taylor probably being the last example of doing better! Does that mean it's the club, rather than just Lerner? True we have had managers achieve decent football/results but is it not a measure of how good managers are if they can hold themselves elsewhere and do the job year in/year out (Ferguson, Mourinho, Moyes (Everton years), Wenger, hell even Allardyce shows it). 

Perhaps getting someone like McCarthy/Bruce may be better as they have proved it time and time again? Pearson has only done it with Leicester, he's struggled elsewhere hasn't he?

And now that just makes me sad.

19 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Teams generally reflect their manager and good managers take the pressure off of them to enable them to perform. Look at how Sherwood blamed the foreign signing and split the dressing room? Pearson took all the pressure. I know which one worked best! 

My point is that regardless of the manager our players are a lot weaker anyway.

57 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This is what people seem to be unable to grasp. People like I am not judging Pearson SOLELY on his personality.

I know. I'm saying I think your judgement of his arse-ness is flawed and therefore I think your overall verdict is also flawed.

21 minutes ago, Mantis said:

My point is that regardless of the manager our players are a lot weaker anyway.

I understand your point but you wouldn't have said that when they were rock bottom last year. Pearson instilled belief and work rate into them. He deflected pressure so they could find their feet in the Premier League. He enabled them to acclimatise which if you compare it to how we have been managed this year is the complete opposite. We are weaker because of bad management. i disagree that the players are that much weaker but if you give players excuses they'll use them. 

Yeh grabbing a player by the throat and having a 30 min sulk at a press conference while pat Murphy tore him a new one was all part of his master plan to deflect attention away from his team...

Mourinho he is not.

26 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

I understand your point but you wouldn't have said that when they were rock bottom last year. Pearson instilled belief and work rate into them. He deflected pressure so they could find their feet in the Premier League. He enabled them to acclimatise which if you compare it to how we have been managed this year is the complete opposite. We are weaker because of bad management. i disagree that the players are that much weaker but if you give players excuses they'll use them. 

I didn't pay much attention to them last season so I can't say. I've been saying for ages though that our players are very mentally weak. Mentally I think we're one of the worst teams in English top division recorded history.

28 minutes ago, mwj said:

Yeh grabbing a player by the throat and having a 30 min sulk at a press conference while pat Murphy tore him a new one was all part of his master plan to deflect attention away from his team...

Mourinho he is not.

Yawn 

he is the best we can hope for Wake up and smell the coffee . We are a shit championship side. 

13 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

Yawn 

he is the best we can hope for Wake up and smell the coffee . We are a shit championship side. 

We are certainly a championship side.

It remains to be seen how shit a championship side we are B)

42 minutes ago, mwj said:

Mourinho he is not.

No one said he was but the facts remain he took all the stick last year so it was either a massive fluke or deliberate. Either way it worked. I think everyone knows you dislike him as a person but apart from a few incidents last year when else has he been such a nutter as I think you've put it? He has a good record. He inspires loyalty from his players. He is well liked by those who've worked with him. This for me trumps any prejudices about his so called character. 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Ron Saunders, Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourinho all made up for their attitude and demeanour by being very very good managers.

Pearson isn't a very very good manager.

This is what people seem to be unable to grasp. People like I am not judging Pearson SOLELY on his personality. What we're saying is he isn't good enough to justify his personality whereas others are.

It's all well and good being a prick if you're a good manager. If you're a prick and no better than loads of other candidates, well you're just a prick.

There are a good handful of managers out there who are as good if not better than Pearson at managing, and aren't liabilities personality wise.

You keep saying he's not a good manager, that's just your view not a fact- although I do respect your right to have this view, however I will point out that nobody on here from what I can make out is saying he is special or anything of the sort, moreover that he just might be the right fit at the right time. Surely you can appreciate this much?

• Like 1