Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

1 hour ago, chrissmith921 said:

Id love to see John Gregory back, but that's just me.

He was totally useless in every other job after leaving us

Total hypocrisy from a lot of fans so nostalgic for the Gregory era!

We had darn good players in those days. Yes his first run when he took over was amazing, but I think it went sour for him quickly when we went from top at Christmas to finishing 6th. 

Villa fans of the time moaned constantly of the dour football Gregory served up, and his ridiculous public spats with Ellis and some of the players. In those days we did truly have a squad that should have done better. He was a big disappointment in the most part for me, but stole the hearts of the fans for being a 'Villa man'.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DamsonwoodVillan said:

Total hypocrisy from a lot of fans so nostalgic for the Gregory era!

We had darn good players in those days. Yes his first run when he took over was amazing, but I think it went sour for him quickly when we went from top at Christmas to finishing 6th. 

Villa fans of the time moaned constantly of the dour football Gregory served up, and his ridiculous public spats with Ellis and some of the players. In those days we did truly have a squad that should have done better. He was a big disappointment in the most part for me, but stole the hearts of the fans for being a 'Villa man'.

This.  Remember those times well and we did have a good squad, which could have done better.  Wasn't it Gregory at the time that said "if only we'd signed Muzzy Izzet, we'd of won the league"?  I did quite like him though but bringing him back would be ludicrous. 

16 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Hollis has said the new manager will be appointed once the takeover is sorted, the new owners can veto.

Hopefully they will have the sense not to appoint Pearson and let him go to Middlesborough or Celtic

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I used to love Gregory!

Really? I thought the football under him was quite dull to be honest with you, strange really when you consider his sort of gung - Ho personality 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Those days are long gone, but I remember being on the Holte for the return of Brian Little, John Gregory and Allan Evans, as "The Boys Are Back in Town" played over the P.A. 

For those of us of a certain age it was a fleeting buzz of optimism. 

And the Brian's home banner draped from the Holte: 

6 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

This.  Remember those times well and we did have a good squad, which could have done better.  Wasn't it Gregory at the time that said "if only we'd signed Muzzy Izzet, we'd of won the league"?  I did quite like him though but bringing him back would be ludicrous. 

I think it was Christian Vieri or Juninho or Johan Micoud

One thing about Gregory was he was very ambitious and in an ideal scenario Lerner taking over when he was in charge could have had good results instead of the players MON signed like Sidwell and Reo-Coker

• Like 1

Wasn't there a Gregory out banner in the Holte end when we were something like 4th in the league

I'd take dull and top 6 over dull and relegated any day ....

• Like 3

I never found the football under Gregory that dull though was 15 years ago, he always tried to sign flair players Hadji, Merson, Angel and played a speedy forward striker with midfield runners like Hendrie and Taylor. Also build a strong enough defence.

We played some good football at the start of his final season even ripping Liverpool apart at Anfield just after they won 5 trophies

I find Barcelona incredibly dull because you know from the start how every game is going to look.

They have fantastic players and are extremely skilled at what they do, but possession for the sake of possession becomes boring after having seen it 400 or so times.

It's like watching Indy 500 and just waiting for the odd crash - Messi/Neymar/Suarez highlight.

Edit: Watching a game with "your team" against watching a game between 2 team you don't support makes a huge difference in how you perceive the game. If your team wins you are probably always going to enjoy the game in some manner, regardless or not if your team played the most visually pleasing football.

Edited by sne

7 minutes ago, Mantis said:

With regards to Pearson, I think the plan is that he'll be our next manager if the takeover collapses but if it does go ahead it'll be up to the new owners to decide whether they want him.

Sounds logic

Pearson it is then!