Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

10 minutes ago, settle villa said:

Who exactly is on this long list of available managers, that would be willing to 

1. Manage in the championship

2. Work with current regime

3. Deal with all of the players who have massively let the club down

4. Currently have no money to spend

If you have a list of really good people I am more than willing to see it. 

So you're certain there is no sale then I guess, and that we'll have the same squad next season as well?

In that scenario the manager is of no importance as we will fail regardless. By all means bring in Pearson, will be entertaining.

I'd be hugely disappointed if we get new owners and their choice of manager is Pearson. I'll also be very surprised if any new owners let the current ones choose manager for them.

• Like 2

Who exactly is on this long list of available managers, that would be willing to 

1. Manage in the championship

2. Work with current regime

3. Deal with all of the players who have massively let the club down

4. Currently have no money to spend

If you have a list of really good people I am more than willing to see it. 

You may as well have added '5. Are called Nigel' at the end of that list ;)

Not all of the things you've listed are really requirements.

'Available'. We are able to go for a manager who is technically 'unavailable'. There will be lots of managers who will see Villa as a step up from their current team, and even though paying compensation sounds like something Randy wouldn't want to do, it's not inconceivable.

'Work in the championship', there are decent managers who currently work in the championship and in lower leagues, so that's not really a deal breaker. Again, when you consider that we ARE a big club, many managers will see the potential to get us promoted and then manage us in the Prem.

Points 2, 3 & 4 are fairly weak ones.

Work with the current regime? Well the regime may change, depending on whether a takeover goes through. Also, the downside of this 'regime', if Randy stays, is the availability of transfer funds. Many managers are happy to and able to work with a small budget.

Deal with the players who have let the club down? If that was a deal-breaker then relegated teams would always struggle to find a new manager. That doesn't happen.

In my opinion, the 'players' point is actually quite a strong factor in bringing a new manager to us. A new manager will have the option to tear this team apart and build one that they want. That's a great opportunity for someone confident enough to do it. Imagine if a new manager comes in and finds out which of the current team are looking to leave. They could oversee the sales of 10-15 players, many of which still hold some value because of their potential and age (Veretout, Gana, Ayew, Traore, Guzan, Richards, Gabby, Sinclair etc). Even though some of the funds will cover wages of other players, it's still an exciting prospect for a manager to have decent funds (by Championship standards) available to build a team of their choosing.

No money to spend. See 'current regime'.

Don't be tricked into thinking that Pearson is one of our only options.

I would put money on this list of managers all having some interest in coming to us:

Pearson, Bruce, Moyes, Grayson, Martinez, Quiche-Flores (if sacked by Watford), Rodgers, Dyche (if not promoted), Rowett, Poyet, Freedman, Clarke, McClaren, Hodgson, Monk, McCarthy, Karanka (if not promoted), Hughton (if not promoted)

I'm sure someone with a more extensive knowledge of managers could add another dozen managers to that list who have achieved similar to Pearson.

7 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I'd be a lot more accepting of Pearson if there's no takeover. If there is a takeover though and the new owners want to make a real push for promotion I can't for the life of me understand why they'd want Pearson.

Because they wont.  Pearson is the backup for Lerner if the takeover fails.  Would love to know the deadline date supposedly set for this takeover.  For once im glad we arent putting all our eggs in one basket( or takeover is very far off happenning).

• Like 1

Aston Villa want Nigel Pearson as their new manager but are delaying an announcement to focus on a proposed takeover.

Pearson has emerged as the No. 1 choice for Villa and talks are at an advanced stage with chairman Steve Hollis, who met the former Leicester manager last week

Villa believe Pearson is the man to rebuild the club as they prepare for the Championship, with Hollis leading the search for their third permanent manager in 12 months.

But Villa are also in negotiations over a sale and Pearson is effectively in limbo while three parties bid to buy the club from Randy Lerner.

Hollis is considering bids from the UK, America and China and told supporters at a recent forum that talks are at a delicate stage.

He also revealed that a new manager would not be installed until a takeover was sorted, though it is believed a cut-off point has been agreed for later this month if no sale is agreed. 

Pearson would need his appointment rubber-stamped by any new owners, yet it appears increasingly likely that will be make his return to management at Villa Park

The 52-year-old has been out of work since his surprise departure from Leicester in June.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/04/30/aston-villa-delay-nigel-pearson-announcement-until-takeover-bid/

This is the article in the Telegraph today.

I assume the cut off point for later this month is in regards to hiring Pearson not the sale of the club.

(did chuckle at the 'surprise departure' in the bottom line - it wasn't much of a shock really, considering their season and the off-field antics of players in Thailand, which included his own son)

For those wanting people to come up with a list of possible, realistic managers. Can I please ask that you first 

1. Name who the new owners will be

2. Name what connections they have to people in an around football, agents, players...

3. Explain the criteria said manager would be working under, expectations, mandate, money available...

I'm sure if you do that people will be happy to compose a list of managers they think are realistic options.

Obviously Pearson is the only available option regardless of all these things because?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I wasn't referring to that.

By the way, it's also worth bearing in mind that Leicester were absolute dogshit and almost as bad as we have been for most of that season. Obviously Ranieri has carried on from that but there's no guarantee Pearson would've done the same.

Yes they're a newly promoted club, that tends to happen with them, long winless runs. Watford have had a poor run of form and Bournemouth lost quite a few recently, Leicester just got their poor run of form out of the way in the nick of time.

I really think some fans think Pearson pins players up against dressing room walls and has to be held back from knocking 5 bells out of them...what I would say is look at Leicester at how many clubs were happy to send them young players on loan, Spurs sent them Harry Kane, Man. united sent them the likes of Drinkwater and Nick Powell.

If Pearson's temper was an issue do you really think these top clubs would've willing sent their young players into that environment. 

• Like 1

(did chuckle at the 'surprise departure' in the bottom line - it wasn't much of a shock really, considering their season and the off-field antics of players in Thailand, which included his own son)

Those players involved must not have realised that Pearson is the master of discipline.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Dave J said:

Stevo- with respect this is where your missing the point. Chelsea won the league playing some pretty dull stuff at times, call it pragmatic if you prefer and yes there were Chelsea fans calling it this way. Was this complaining? probably not but calling it as it was, then yes!

No Dave, sorry, you're the one still missing the point of what I was saying.

But we;d just be going round in circles arguing about something rather trivial, so let's leave it there.

53 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Yes they're a newly promoted club, that tends to happen with them, long winless runs. Watford have had a poor run of form and Bournemouth lost quite a few recently, Leicester just got their poor run of form out of the way in the nick of time.

I really think some fans think Pearson pins players up against dressing room walls and has to be held back from knocking 5 bells out of them...what I would say is look at Leicester at how many clubs were happy to send them young players on loan, Spurs sent them Harry Kane, Man. united sent them the likes of Drinkwater and Nick Powell.

If Pearson's temper was an issue do you really think these top clubs would've willing sent their young players into that environment. 

Even by the standards of promoted clubs they were abject for most of that season. This idea that they just "got it out of the way" in time doesn't really make me feel anymore comfortable.

Just now, Mantis said:

Even by the standards of promoted clubs they were abject for most of that season. This idea that they just "got it out of the way" in time doesn't really make me feel anymore comfortable.

What do you expect promoted teams to do...Burnley and QPR both went down that season remember who came up with Leicester.

I believe last season they finished on 41 points. Currently with two games to play Bournemouth have 41 points and Watford have 44 points. I'd say it was par for the course.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

What do you expect promoted teams to do...Burnley and QPR both went down that season remember who came up with Leicester.

I believe last season they finished on 41 points. Currently with two games to play Bournemouth have 41 points and Watford have 44 points. I'd say it was par for the course.

You're missing my point. It's not their final points tally I find worrying but rather the way in which they were absolutely terrible up until about March/April.