Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

They were extremely shit for 75% of the season.

Have to say I disagree with you here mate, and usually I agree with most things you say.

I can remember sooo many games when they were hitting the posts, hitting the crossbars, not getting penalties blah blah, I'm not going to say it was bad luck, but they were in a false position when they were bottom of the league. They were much better than us that year, creating chances left right and centre. Football can be a cruel game sometimes and they were at the butt-end of that cruelty imo.

Let's not forget, it was then Pearson who signed Huth in January which is one of the key signings which has them where they are now. That signing was key for me 'cos it prevented them from leaking goals which kept them up and made them a force ever since. 

If Pearson could come to Villa and sign a centre back pairing of Huth and Morgan it would be 1000000x better than we've had for years. I think the bloke deserves a chance.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He did turn it around. And like I said he deserves credit for that. But people are talking as if they had an amazing season. They didn't. They were shite. Bailed out by an admittedly very good run at the end of the season.

And the better they do this season, the more credit Pearson seems to be getting. It makes no sense. It would be like if Garde had won all his games, people giving Sherwood all the credit.

Not losing by more than 2 goals is really scraping the barrel for positives. If you lost every game 1-0 you could still say that.

I would say finishing 14th for them was amazing considering where they were before they hit form. Had we finished 14th this season from where we were I would say that would have been amazing! I think he deserves some credit of course but not all of it. Reminds me kind of like Houllier when he was trying to take credit for liverpools CL win.

The thing is after seeing our crappy losers lose 6-0, 4-0 etc this season, it goes to show Pearsons sides dont get spanked like we seem to have over last few seasons. Give me that any day. 

I am not sure on Pearson. His press conference antics etc don’t bother me in the slightest though.

In terms of accessing what he achieved with Leicester bottom line is that he got them promoted on over a hundred points which is some going. He also kept them up comfortably in the end last season finishing 14th six points outside the relegation places. The only promoted team to stay up.

Him potentially not having his back room staff would be an issue no doubt about that. He was the one that chose Craig Shakespeare to work alongside him though and given that he followed him from Leicester to Hull then back to Leicester I would not rule out the possibility of him leaving Leicester to team up with Pearson again. Again Steve Walsh the head of recruitment at Leicester is someone who has followed Pearson about but if he is to leave Leicester he will have much better offers so him coming would seem very unlikely.  If neither of them teamed up with him though then that doesn’t mean that having assembled an excellent back room team once he couldn't do it again.

Bottom line for me is we need a manager who has been there and done it. Knows the Championship and what it will take to be successful and who also knows the Prem league. Of those out of work then Pearson fits that bill. As does Moyes who would be my number one choice. Dyce is someone else who has impressed me and even though he has just got Burnley promoted I don’t think it is beyond the realms we could attract him. Our glass ceiling, even starting from a division below Burnley, is still much higher than theirs. To attract him or any decent manager though will require us to show some ambition and assurances they would be backed and allowed the support and tools to reshape the club. The next appointment will tell us all we need to know in terms of this clubs ambitions and where it is heading.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Of course he deserves a chance.

And if he's appointed I'll give it to him, just like I'd give it to any manager.

But until he's appointed I reserve the right to predict that he'll be a terrible manager for us. And he's a monumental arsehole to boot.

It would be typical Villa to appoint him though, so I'm fully expecting it to happen, and we'll be looking for a new manager this time next season.

He probably will be a -hole but if he gets us winning games and winning promotion I couldn't care less! I liked Garde but he was pretty shit. 

Give me shit personality and winning any day mate  :mrgreen:

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

Leicester were very unlucky last season and werent getting much rub of the green in some games

So the media keep saying. How many Leicester games did anyone actually watch last season? Or has everyone magically found the time to watch 20 hours of football every weekend? The reality is everyone is regurgitating Pat Murphy's opinion that they were "unlucky".

The facts are he's been manager at 3 clubs for any notable length of time, was sacked once, average once and succeeded once where he was promoted twice in 5 years. Not exactly a nailed on results. Not to mention he is mentally unstable, likes a fight with players & journalists, and raised a son who's partial to making racist sex tapes with thai hookers. 

Are we really that desperate that this guy is our best option?

• Like 1

I give Pearson six to eight months tops

It won't take him long to be found out without his backroom team and when were no where near the promotion places and down the lower end of the table the fans will demand him out and we will start the cycle all over again

Aston Villa the club that never learns from its mistakes 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Of course he deserves a chance.

And if he's appointed I'll give it to him, just like I'd give it to any manager.

But until he's appointed I reserve the right to predict that he'll be a terrible manager for us. And he's a monumental arsehole to boot.

It would be typical Villa to appoint him though, so I'm fully expecting it to happen, and we'll be looking for a new manager this time next season.

I think there's a greater than 50% chance we're looking for a new manager by Halloween no matter who we appoint. 

Managers at this club since 2010 have lasted an average of what, 9 months? And that's in the PL where losing most weeks has been completely acceptable to the club hierarchy for the last half dozen years. In the Championship, where everyone will be expecting us to win most weeks, a bad start and whoever it is will come under very quick pressure, from all sides. 

58 minutes ago, mwj said:

So the media keep saying. How many Leicester games did anyone actually watch last season? Or has everyone magically found the time to watch 20 hours of football every weekend? The reality is everyone is regurgitating Pat Murphy's opinion that they were "unlucky".

The facts are he's been manager at 3 clubs for any notable length of time, was sacked once, average once and succeeded once where he was promoted twice in 5 years. Not exactly a nailed on results. Not to mention he is mentally unstable, likes a fight with players & journalists, and raised a son who's partial to making racist sex tapes with thai hookers. 

Are we really that desperate that this guy is our best option?

Seeing as the first time he got Leicester promoted to the Championship and then got them into the Play Offs I would say it's a successful period. In the 2nd time he got them promoted to the Premier League and kept them up. His only patchy record would be Hull yet he consolidated after relegation then improved them the following year. At all 3 clubs they went on record breaking runs. He has the sort of record we need. We aren't a very appealing proposition at the minute. It's nothing to do with being desperate it's just that some people think he has the qualities we need right now. I'll take him getting us up and then keeping us up now then I don't mind sacking him if we then win the league!! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Really not fussed on the personality of the manager

- Remi Garde was reserved.

- Sherwood was overt and over the top.

- Lambert was dour.

- McLeish had none.

They all had 1 thing in common: Sub-par results.

Give me someone who can deliver. I'll quibble over personality after we get promoted.

what was the one constant in all of that? managing at Aston Villa.

if nothing changes at the club no one will be able to.

3 hours ago, Mantis said:

I know it's only one game but when Leicester played us at VP in the December of that season they were awful and made us look decent.

We played Leicester in the FA Cup and they were much the better team in the first half. Had they been more clinical they could've finished us by half time.

It's worth remembering that the season you're quoting was Leicester's first season in the division with Pearson. Ranieri took over a team used to the the Prem with some experience under their belts of not just the division but playing alongside each other.

Prem experience is useful, but as we've found out isn't the complete package on its own. Experience of both the division and playing alongside each other and knowing each others game is, I think, a good combination.

For those wondering about the worst combination, see our end-of-season DVD.

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

And the better they do this season, the more credit Pearson seems to be getting. It makes no sense. It would be like if Garde had won all his games, people giving Sherwood all the credit.

Or winning the European Cup, and giving the manager who left at the quarter-final stage the credit...