Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

I always remember watching 'World at War' and the episode about the Far east had this old song "It's a lovely day tomorrow" which came across very moving given the context.

Whilst not comparing our fate to those suffering in war (!!) it seems apt.........".Its a lovely day tomorrow, tomorrow is a lovely day...if today your heart is weary, if every little thing looks grey, just forget your troubles and learn to say, tomorrow is a lovely day....... "

Trouble is, the war was 1939-1945, 6 years.  We've had longer than that and tomorrow still keeps getting feckin worse !!

• Like 1

The more I think about it I would take Pearson right now if it meant that he started straightaway and worked with the current squad until the end of the season.  As much as I'd want 90% of this squad gone in the summer, it's probably not realistic and someone needs to work out quickly who's worth keeping/working with and who should go.  The thought of waiting for a manager until the summer and then they assess the squad during pre-season fills me with dread.   Big rebuilding job required and I want a manager to realise this quickly. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

The more I think about it I would take Pearson right now if it meant that he started straightaway and worked with the current squad until the end of the season.  As much as I'd want 90% of this squad gone in the summer, it's probably not realistic and someone needs to work out quickly who's worth keeping/working with and who should go.  The thought of waiting for a manager until the summer and then they assess the squad during pre-season fills me with dread.   Big rebuilding job required and I want a manager to realise this quickly. 

I support your reasoning if not the choice.  It is one reason why we would have benefited from Black not being such a complete cock wobble over team selection

5 minutes ago, Richard said:

I support your reasoning if not the choice.  It is one reason why we would have benefited from Black not being such a complete cock wobble over team selection

Believe me Richard he is by far from my first choice, as it would have been Dyche for me but I am just being realistic now.  If Pearson can start tomorrow I would bring him in because Black is doing more harm than good at present. 

• Like 2

90% of this squad won't be here regardless! The likes of Richards and Bacuna are already looking for pastures new. If i never saw Lescott in a Villa shirt again i would be happy! Flabby has played his last game for us and i expect flappy the goalkeeper to be on his way back to the USA. Most of our summer signings will probably leave due to release clauses etc. So we don't need a word removed like Pearson as our manager to kick ass (not that the rocket polishers would listen to him anyway). We have some good youth that could be used along with some experienced players that can roll their sleeves up and be leaders! Pearson fills me with dread. He is not what this club needs right now.

7 minutes ago, Richard said:

I wonder if he isn't completely aware that certain players should be got rid of, whether due to attitude or ability or both. I would suspect he is well aware of which players have been disruptive, swinging the lead and not training properly and all that.

That's a different thing to picking teams or players that the fans are astounded by.

Maybe there's a reason for selecting numpties? maybe he thinks if (say) Bacuna says something stupid he deserves to get an earful from the supporters, and maybe the same applies to other players. Kind of "You've been a dick, well now you can go out there and try and either win the fans round with your performance or get what's due to you from the support."

Also, putting players out there in a way to play in a difficult atmosphere tends to weed out those who are triers and those who are weak. It further reveals who should go.

Like Mark said earlier in the thread, he's probably not cut out to be a Premier League manager, but he's a dead straight, honest, professional coach. He knows players and which are good and bad.

• Like 2

I'm coming round to the idea of Pearson purely because of how we are looking more and more shambolic by the day.

He'd be a terrible appointment, but I'm scared about how much worse we could do if we keep going downhill.

34 minutes ago, Pilchard said:

I've just read one report where Pearson is coming in and Black is staying to work with him.

When will things stop getting worse?

I don't see that as things getting worse, personally. Each to their own and all that. But it looks like "better" to me.

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

I don't see that as things getting worse, personally. Each to their own and all that. But it looks like "better" to me.

Impressed by Eric Black's contribution since joining us then?

• Like 1

For me, a combination of Pearson and Black = no imminent sale, no transfer budget and a cheap shot at 'taming' the unprofessional players. We will go nowhere fast with this solution (apart from downwards)

Black in his limited tenure has made the atmosphere at VP worse due to continually selecting hated players and alienated decent prospects in Traore and Okore... He is obviously a man who bears a grudge, we could do without that now.

Instead we should get rid of the poisoned few within the first team and bring in players who want the opportunity to play for Villa and hire a tactician as a manager, not a mourinho-lite arrogant big head.

• Like 1

I wanted Moyes, but if he isn't coming I think Pearson might do a job for us. As for Black he is just one assistant. He won't be in charge, he want be picking the team, he is the help!  Why he is getting so much flack, when there are 'so many' far more deserving candidates at our club is baffling.  An easy target I suppose.

• Like 3