Keinan Davis

a-k

2 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

He has been gifted many opportunities as a forward in the first team that other players of his age would drool over.

I still think he needs to change position , give him one of those fancy European named roles and go on loan to learn it. Come back renaming himself to go with the role, maybe with accent and no first name like Daviš or something. 

DM or CM?

Has got the strength, pace and hold up play IMO.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

DM or CM?

Has got the strength, pace and hold up play IMO.

Agree. He also is a good passer. Daviš surging out of our midfield after a sliding tackle nobody saw coming unleashing one of the forward three or holding it up until he see the opportunity. I could see it. Probably further back would be my thought but I dunno. He just has an odd combination of strengths finishing isnt one. Needs to find his role.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 4

The other aspect at play here may be strategic. FFP limits wage growth year on year as a percentage of the previous years wages (assuming my sketchy knowledge of FFP is at all accurate). If Purslow and co are predicting we will not reach the max allowable increase from our transfer business, it may make sense to give some short term extensions to current players to push the wage bill up, allow a bigger spend next season.

(Again this is based on my interpretation of FFP and may be way off base)

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

In what way?

He should have been sent out on loan 3 or 4 seasons back!

There was no way he was going to get the playing time here. To keep him here as back up in his early years just kept him from making the next step up.

He needs games.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

He should have been sent out on loan 3 or 4 seasons back!

There was no way he was going to get the playing time here. To keep him here as back up in his early years just kept him from making the next step up.

He needs games.

Started 17 of 28 appearances 1499 mins in 17/18 season when we had striker injury crisis

3 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Agree. He also is a good passer. Daviš surging out of our midfield after a sliding tackle nobody saw coming unleashing one of the forward three or holding it up until he see the opportunity. I could see it. Probably further back would be my thought but I dunno. He just has an odd combination of strengths finishing isnt one. Needs to find his role.

I said something similar a few days back. I’m not sure he has the range of passing to be a AM/CM but can defo see him as a DM or CB.

• Like 2

He should go out on loan this season to a championship club.

If he does the business then we can reassess where he fits in our squad but if he doesn’t manage say 15 goals then put him up for sale as he will never make it with us.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, paul514 said:

He should go out on loan this season to a championship club.

If he does the business then we can reassess where he fits in our squad but if he doesn’t manage say 15 goals then put him up for sale as he will never make it with us.

I'm actually glad he has a new contract he deserves it.

Exactly this Championship side for a full season then assess where we are at.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

He's 22, has potential and AVFC have stifled his development by expecting to much to soon. Circumstances forced him into a first team squad when he wasn't ready. 

Spot on. This lad should have been out on loan the minute he arrived. Has lots of natural attributes, but needed first team football and confidence early on.

Our shallow.squad has seen him kept around with no real likelihood of regular playing time. It's stifled him

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Nigel said:

I think his chance of playing for us is gone, we are merely protecting the value of the asset now!

A lot of it is about protecting the asset, I agree, but there is still a chance that he could score a few goals on loan to a Championship club and gain the confidence that would see him worth a squad place for 21/22. He has everything about his games, other than the end product. I would prefer that we didn't give him away, having put so much work into him, as we have done quite often lately. Of course, he could refuse to sign a new contract and take the decision out of our hands. In my opinion the club has made the right decision here, in any case it's a decision that has been made now. 

6 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Started 17 of 28 appearances 1499 mins in 17/18 season when we had striker injury crisis

For me, he played to many games too quickly back then. He had a lengthy run of games and it got us out of a hole, but I don't think it helped his development, leaving him in the firing line for so long. Playing twice a week/not getting a game or two off, was asking a lot of a willing young player. For me, he would have benefited from spending the following season, at somewhere like Walsall, where he might have played say 20-30 games during the following season and possibly have found the net now and again, away from the spotlight a little.     

• Like 3

1 minute ago, John said:

A lot of it is about protecting the asset, I agree, but there is still a chance that he could score a few goals on loan to a Championship club and gain the confidence that would see him worth a squad place for 21/22. He has everything about his games, other than the end product. I would prefer that we didn't give him away, having put so much work into him, as we have done quite often lately. Of course, he could refuse to sign a new contract and take the decision out of our hands. In my opinion the club has made the right decision here, in any case it's a decision that has been made now. 

For me, he played to many games too quickly back then. He had a lengthy run of games and it got us out of a hole, but I don't think it helped his development, leaving him in the firing line for so long. Playing twice a week/not getting a game or two off, was asking a lot of a willing young player. For me, he would have benefited from spending the following season, at somewhere like Walsall, where he might have played say 20-30 games during the following season and possibly have found the net now and again, away from the spotlight a little.     

I think with strikers, that final finishing touch just needs a bit of confidence and composure. I am not convinced that he will ever be a "20 goals a season" striker, but there is a lot about the guy and clearly can put the effort in. In the restart he looked significantly better than Samatta and if he actually scored a few goals, would we even be thinking about another striker? He would likely be a good back up and with him Watkins/Wesley I think we get a good trio of strikers (particularly if we are playing 1 up front). Given he is a different type of striker to Watkins, it makes him the perfect squad player. 

Hopefully he signs the new contract then goes on loan to a decent championship side and then maybe put a break clause in January. If he is really playing well we can then always bring him back for the 2nd half of the season. However, right now he needs game time and with Watkins as well as Wesley when he comes back, he is unlikely to get enough game time to get those goals his confidence needs. Definitely though signing the new contract is a good starting point though. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

I think with strikers, that final finishing touch just needs a bit of confidence and composure. I am not convinced that he will ever be a "20 goals a season" striker, but there is a lot about the guy and clearly can put the effort in. In the restart he looked significantly better than Samatta and if he actually scored a few goals, would we even be thinking about another striker? He would likely be a good back up and with him Watkins/Wesley I think we get a good trio of strikers (particularly if we are playing 1 up front). Given he is a different type of striker to Watkins, it makes him the perfect squad player. 

Hopefully he signs the new contract then goes on loan to a decent championship side and then maybe put a break clause in January. If he is really playing well we can then always bring him back for the 2nd half of the season. However, right now he needs game time and with Watkins as well as Wesley when he comes back, he is unlikely to get enough game time to get those goals his confidence needs. Definitely though signing the new contract is a good starting point though. 

He also only got 4 starts last season.

Hardly enough to make a fair judgement regards to his goalscoring.

Didn't Wesley go 11 games or something without scoring once?

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

He also only got 4 starts last season.

Hardly enough to make a fair judgement regards to his goalscoring.

Didn't Wesley go 11 games or something without scoring once?

Possibly, but I still think the point stands. He needs to be starting games to really develop and that is not likely to happen at Villa this season. 

2 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Possibly, but I still think the point stands. He needs to be starting games to really develop and that is not likely to happen at Villa this season. 

I don't disagree with your point but i'd still prefer him to stay.

He is a better option from the bench than Samatta. Samatta is just so easy and predictable to defend against.

At least Keinan is giving defenders a proper workout.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I don't disagree with your point but i'd still prefer him to stay.

He is a better option from the bench than Samatta. Samatta is just so easy and predictable to defend against.

At least Keinan is giving defenders a proper workout.

Don't disagree either, I would prefer him over Samatta on the bench, but for his longer term development, he needs game time. 

If we do buy another striker, then we'll have 3 main strikers eventually with Watkins, another and Wes, and if there is a fourth spot you'd hope it was for a kid coming through especially if we have Grealish, Traore and Rashica (along with the Trez and El Ghazi on the edges).  If Davis stays, which this suggests he does then he has to go out on loan to see if he has a long term future here because he'll get virtually no game time given there are 3 likely £20m+ strikers ahead of him for one central spot, although some could play wide if we did buy a Josh King type. 

Edited by nick76

Â