Keinan Davis

a-k

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I'd get another good AM in to take the load off Grealish, either a quick wide player or a Rashica type. Actually probably both.

It's tricky with strikers. They go for so much now and we don't exactly have a great record signing them since the mid 90s and Collymore. I thought West Ham signing Seb Haller for 40m last summer would be a great pick up as I saw him a few times for Frankfurt and he looked made for premier league but he's badly flopped.

Personally I'd play safe and get in an experienced player from abroad on season long loan. Someone not playing but who's proved they can score or wants to come back to the premier league. For forward options this summer I'd be more than happy with Rashica, Rondon (loan), Watkins and then a wide player. Would give us far more options than last season and also mean our weaknesses at the other end wouldn't be as exposed as we'd have far more of the ball and be on the front foot.

People will probably turn up their noses at Rondon but in 18/19 at Newcastle he scored 11 goals in about 30 games and he's the sort who'll work hard for the team and bring the midfielders into the game, everything we want Davis to be now.

He helps us get into the giddy heights of mid table and then we're in a much better position to attract a better striker next summer as then we'll be targeting pushing for europe. Let's remember Wolves initally got someone like Jimenez on a season long loan. He was great for them and so they got him full time for 20m. I'm surprised we don't do that more considering the obscene money we've wasted in that position in last 20 years. Not signing Tammy full time was just incredible bad luck.

Edit: Getting in Carew in Jan 2007 was massive signing in the early MON reign. Really changed perceptions of us and suddenly we looked a club massively on the up and he played his part in us finishing 6th over the next few seasons. Probably the last major european signing we made. He was out of favour at Lyon at the time so those sorts are out there.

I'd love someone like Alex Isak. He's going to be huge in two years. If I was going to offer 40-50m for someone it would be him and Real Sociedad would probably take that but think Dortmund have a buy back option.

Interesting.

3 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I remember him coming on and holding the ball up well too, but I can't for the life of me ever remember us turning a game around after he came on. It might have just slipped my mind.

Isn't that expecting a bit too much? If we could afford game changers on the bench we wouldn't have finished the season averaging less than a point per game. 

For what it's worth, I think he won the free kick from which we scored against Everton (not saying this is a spectacular achievement, just putting it out there) 

Davis coming one does have, however an impact, he allows us to play more directly, hold the balland that takes pressure off our defense and gives the opponents something else to thing about, he can win free kicks from his hold up play as mentioned. His finishing isn't there yet, it isn't his main strength, but I believe he is in a vicious cycle of playing sporadically, not getting many chances, missing a few, therefore not starting as much, confidence drops and he misses more chances ecc. If he can break that cycle and score some of those chances we might have a very decent player. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I'd love someone like Alex Isak. He's going to be huge in two years. If I was going to offer 40-50m for someone it would be him and Real Sociedad would probably take that but think Dortmund have a buy back option.

Maybe a sell on agreement also, who knows the way these clubs work out the finer arrangements. All it would mean is if they could get a big bit of money for that player is that Dortmund would also see a big bit of that pie if such a thing was in place.

11 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

Guess I'm in the minority, but I really see a lot of potential in the kid.

He’s not a kid. Keinan is older than Douglas Luiz. Douglas has played for Brazil. Keinan is not much younger (two years) than Jack Grealish, who was starring in an FA Cup semi-final five years ago.

We need to get past sentimentality.

2 minutes ago, Enda said:

He’s not a kid. Keinan is older than Douglas Luiz. Douglas has played for Brazil. Keinan is not much younger (two years) than Jack Grealish, who was starring in an FA Cup semi-final five years ago.

We need to get past sentimentality.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think that Davis has even started a league game for us yet. For me, he has shown what he can do in his limited sub appearances, particularly against Man City. He has an awful lot of natural ability, he doesn’t have a nasty streak that every top striker has I don’t think 

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think that Davis has even started a league game for us yet. For me, he has shown what he can do in his limited sub appearances, particularly against Man City. He has an awful lot of natural ability, he doesn’t have a nasty streak that every top striker has I don’t think 

Going by my 'dodgy spreadsheet' he's started 25 times and made 42 appearances as a sub, so I'd imagine he's managed a few in the league in that time without looking into it too much.

Players develop at different rates and speeds. For instance hold up forwards I imagine take a bit longer to develop than other positions because of the physicality then need, so I'm not going to rule him out completely, but he needs to start producing some end product to go with the rest of his game. In order to do this, regular football is needed, meaning a loan move to the Championship is probably his best chance, which sounds like it is going to happen, just needs some other dominoes to fall first.

If he starts banging them in, hopefully we can extend him for a year or two. If he doesn't, I imagine we won't have any problems letting walk for nothing (e.g. O'Hare, Green etc).

Edited by Hornso
  • Like 1

Davis started:

• Sheffield Utd (Home) drew 0-0, lone striker
  • Chelsea (Home) lost 1-2, lone striker
  • Wolves (Home) lost 0-1, front 2 with Samatta
  • Liverpool (Away) lost 2-0, front 2 with Grealish

He did cause a lot of problems in the Sheffield Utd game, and I think if I remember rightly he had a good effort saved. Tough to judge him on those other fixtures, but clearly Smith decided in the end that he preferred Samatta's contribution as lone striker.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Started loads in EFL under Bruce few seasons ago when all the strikers were injured and didn't score much. Will never be PL level quality imo

12 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Started loads in EFL under Bruce few seasons ago when all the strikers were injured and didn't score much. Will never be PL level quality imo

I meant a Premier League match, sorry I didn’t specify

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

As soon as a striker comes in he should go out on loan to Preston if he performs and scores a good amount of goals he can have a new deal and be in contention here.

But if he does go out on loan and scores a lot of goals, it will alert other clubs to his talents

4 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

There would be an increased chance that he would leave 

Great, get a fee for someone who currently doesn’t score goals.

at the moment he is a body in a position where your job is to score goals which he doesn’t do.

64 games - 3 goals - 2 assists none in the PL

Edited by paul514
Adding stats
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, soezetoc said:

Doesnt his contract expire at the end of this coming season?

Correct. If he was to go on loan and then leave, he'd go on a free.

Edited by Hornso

17 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

Guess I'm in the minority, but I really see a lot of potential in the kid. His pressing and hold-up play is really good and feel the goals will eventually come. Had he scored against Arsenal, think the opinions on him would be quite different.

Really? One goal would change people’s opinions on him? I’m really not sure about that.

I also think he’s played his last game for us, nice lad but never going to score goals regularly at this level.

However, why would we loan him for the final year of his contract? May as well sell him and bring some money in.

a season long loan agreement may have incorporate a small fee and his wages paid but essentially he’d be leaving for a nominal/free fee. 

Â