Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

I think we need two strikers if Ayew goes. To get promoted we need goals and our midfield aren't gonna score many.  Gestede had a great season at Blackburn but i think the jury is still out, can he definitely repeat that? I'd probably also try get an experienced defensive midfielder for a couple of millions.

8 hours ago, John said:

I really cannot see us paying £7m for a new keeper, £5m for a centre back, £7m for a midfielder and £9m for a new striker much as I would like us to (unless both a takeover happens before the transfer window closes and we get a new manager in place). I think we will looking for loan signings, players at the end of their contracts and one or two players for a fee of around £2m - £3m at best.

You are almost certainly right if we don't have a change of owner but that is the reason why we are going to be playing in the championship next season. It could also be the reason why under the present owner we will not get back into the premiership. 

The £7m was to be the total outlay on two players in midfield. If the club was any good at getting good deals for players it would help but we always seem to pay over the odds for whoever we buy. We lost the spine of our team last summer for a cut price amount - the team lets goals in very easily and never looks like scoring - it is going to take some good new players to resolve those two issues and good players normally cost a bit! These days the manager doesn't sort out the fees its the club management - anyone got faith that the club management under Lerner will get good deals for Villa?

Bentley might be a good option as keeper and given his contract situation might be available for less than £7m. However as he is under 24 Southend would be entitled to compensation even though he is out of contract. This scout report suggests that while promising and a good shot stopper he could be better with his feet and distribution and be more commanding of his area. Two important areas to work on. His fee will include the extra amount for being English.

Another issue is would Bentley sign - plenty of other clubs are interested. He has probably been watching match of the day and seen Villa on the TV and what professional player with any ambition is going to want to pay with the current group of players that we have? The club needs to make some good signing to convince others to join - a top manager can help do that - their reputation for winning or developing players can be the tipping point for attracting good players.

8 hours ago, bobzy said:

Yeah, I think people are suggesting him purely from media links (no offence John, you might have seen him play more).

Remember when Grealish was being linked with Man City and Chelsea?  Yeah.

Bentley looks good, he's enormous with arms like a gorilla but he's still quite athletic. He'd easily be good enough for a top of the table Championship side, the more likely reality is that he'd rather be a PL bench-warmer. 

• Like 1

Few players in League 1 team of the year i wouldn't mind seeing at Villa.

Rico Henry & Romaine Sawyers (Walsall) Will Grigg (Wigan) and Bradley Dack (Gillingham)

Also Kemar Roofe (Oxford) from League 2.

Also agree about looking at Daniel Bentley as well!! Excellent goalkeeper.

Problem with Villa is we haven't headhunted the best lower league players since the late 80's/early 90's. Bowery, Lowton and Westwood was all average performers in the lower leagues and wasn't amongst the best.

• Like 1

First and foremost we need to go out and sign lads who are going to give their all every second they are on that pitch. Attitude > Talent. Too long we have been subjected to people robbing a living off Aston Villa. Then I want us to build a team.

10 hours ago, mallett said:

You are almost certainly right if we don't have a change of owner but that is the reason why we are going to be playing in the championship next season. It could also be the reason why under the present owner we will not get back into the premiership. 

The £7m was to be the total outlay on two players in midfield. If the club was any good at getting good deals for players it would help but we always seem to pay over the odds for whoever we buy. We lost the spine of our team last summer for a cut price amount - the team lets goals in very easily and never looks like scoring - it is going to take some good new players to resolve those two issues and good players normally cost a bit! These days the manager doesn't sort out the fees its the club management - anyone got faith that the club management under Lerner will get good deals for Villa?

Bentley might be a good option as keeper and given his contract situation might be available for less than £7m. However as he is under 24 Southend would be entitled to compensation even though he is out of contract. This scout report suggests that while promising and a good shot stopper he could be better with his feet and distribution and be more commanding of his area. Two important areas to work on. His fee will include the extra amount for being English.

Another issue is would Bentley sign - plenty of other clubs are interested. He has probably been watching match of the day and seen Villa on the TV and what professional player with any ambition is going to want to pay with the current group of players that we have? The club needs to make some good signing to convince others to join - a top manager can help do that - their reputation for winning or developing players can be the tipping point for attracting good players.

I agree with your first two paragraphs and I had wrongly took it as £7m for one midfield player. Regarding Bentley he reminds me more of Joe Hart each time I see him but I think HanoiVillan is right and he is more likely to warm a PL bench than to sign for us. I would anticipate the compensation figure would be around £2m -£2.5m with possibly the odd add on.

At 23 come the start of next season I would hope he would relish the amount of action he would likely get playing in front of our defence ;) and see a move to us as a way of getting first team football having taken the smaller step up of one division rather than two. It could also offer him the chance to shine during our frequent TV appearances next season which would raise his profile and to possibly become a PL player with us the following season if things change off the playing field at our football club more quickly than seems likely.      

11 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Hutton is on too much money for the Championship, end of story, he has to go.

..and he is garbage.

Wouldn't want him if he was on minimum wage and paid us subs.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

I want at least one 'good but too old to play at the highest level' type player. Some former star who can bring a bit of quality to the team.

Agreed. Like Merson or Prosinecki for Portsmouth.

...we'd end up with a lard arsed Kranjcar.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, omariqy said:

We need a striker that can score 20 goals plus in the championship. Without that we will not get promoted.

Agreed, but with 46 games in a season we need 2 strikers getting close to 20, and/or a couple of midfielder getting into double numbers.

Don't see any midfielder at the club capable of this atm except Adama and he isn't being played so might leave.

As always we need a total rebuild from goalie, to a whole new defense, and new strikers (s)

Actually think we have what could be a good midfield in the Championship, but most of them are not being played or will likely be leaving in the summer...

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Bowery in particular was a bizarre signing. I knew Chesterfield fans who'd barely heard of him. 

Definitely - my neighbour who is in football management used the word incredulity to describe the view in football when we paid the money we did for Bowery. Mind you the last club he was involved with (in the Championship) were offered Gestede for £1m the season prior to him scoring all those goals for Blackburn. Its arguable whether he was worth the £5m-£6m we paid for him.

He might, however, be the man for us next season if we can give him the right service but we still need another half decent striker.

10 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Haven't we got one of those?

Brian Little comeback on the cards?

(yes I know Gestede can score headers in the Championship with a team set up a certain way)

• Like 1