Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

11 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Young and hungry was the Paul Lambert model which set up the relegation which was cemented in the summer with our transfer committee. 

This 'young and hungry' thing was never any of our managers' choice. It was really 'cheap, unproven and hope for profit', it was just 'young and hungry' is a better soundbite!

One could argue Benteke was young and hungry and that was a success. As usual, it's normally a case of getting a balance but young and hungry or old and experienced, it's always somewhat of a gamble based on the individual player.

Personally, I'd like to see a couple of established players joining us as I think we lack leaders, or players that the youth can look up to. Lescott certainly isn't that, Gabby even more so. Richards I still have time for but think we need a solid calming midfielder, along the lines of Petrov, Taylor, Barry and then we can add the talented youth around them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Joey Barton, Gareth Barry, and Charlie Adam would be good short term buys.

Barry is a pipe dream. He'll be in the Prem next season no problem.

I'd like us to sign players who really are 'young and hungry' as long as they are also talented as well. Under Lambert we kept signing players nobody had ever heard of because they didn't stick out in the lower leagues as being of a higher quality. None of them were a player like Rico Henry or Lewis Cook who look a cut above the level they are currently playing at and will inevitably command a higher fee because of it - this was the type of signing Delph was at the time for us when we looked like we were going places. There were some unpolished diamonds in Lamberts signings but they never really developed because our whole outlook was about cutting costs not about going anywhere as a football club.

The other issue is if you are genuinely hungry for football success you wouldn't sign for Villa at the moment. The only reason for joining from another club is because the money is better and that attracts a particular type of person we already have plenty of. We need to turn around the culture of the club so that the players currently with us and those looking to join believe it is a club which is going to win the championship next season and then push on. This requires a change at the club that is fundamental and without any compromises as Bernstein said. We should pay off some of the dross such as Agbonlahor (if we can't sack him which I suspect we can't) to change the direction of the club which will be expensive. We also need to start bringing in the type of players which tell other players we are going to win the championship next season. None of which I can see happening under Lerner.

Tom Ross quoted Ron Saunders as saying that a good team makes good players - think that is true - I also think we have been a bad team that makes players bad. It is the whole culture of the first team. I think it is one of the reasons our academy players have not really broken through to the heights they should have. Westwood is a good pro - his stats show he works hard in a team which is frankly lazy - but he's always played in a team which doesn't make use of his strengths, moving the ball on quickly and has emphasised his weaknesses by having no ball winners or goals scorers in midfield to balance his deficiencies. Now I suspect his confidence has been destroyed. You need to believe you are a quality player to play the ball forward instead of sideways or back but with the pathetic movement around him there often aren't great passing options.

Quite how Reilly has kept the gig is astonishing. For all his analysis of stats it was clear on paper that there were very few premier league goals in the team. Gestede despite having had a good season at Blackburn had failed in the premier league with Cardiff. Ayew's goal scoring record was nothing to write home about even if it was in a rubbish team - players don't suddenly improve their goal scoring when they move up a level and he was going to play for another rubbish team. All that analysis and the team is so obviously and fundamentally unbalanced. We also paid top dollar for all our 'cheap' French players all of whom were unproven at the higher premier league level. As we will prove this summer when they leave for a loss. Ayew has worked hard but his goal return is not that good, it wasn't in France and the price we paid for him was too much given his record. Similarly for the other 2 French players + Adama. These might have been OK buys if the basic core of the team was sound but we had finished as low as you can without being relegated and then lost our 4 best players (3 of whom left for nothing or a cut price amount). People keep saying we spent over £50 million on players in the summer but we lost players worth more than that from an already rubbish team leaving us with a net loss. Let's hope Reilly leaves before the transfer window opens again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Barry or Barton if gettable I would be delighted with. Barton seems to talk a lot about us, I think he is exactly what we need and sort out some if these wimps. 

You've got to be joking. Joey Barton who's spent time in prison, assaulted countless players on and off the pitch, admitted to being an alcoholic, the list goes on. He's been forced out of his last few clubs because he's too much of a liability

Yes we need a shake up, but we don't need further drama thanks. We could also do with paying actual players instead of thugs, crocks and wasters for once

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Duck said:

You've got to be joking. Joey Barton who's spent time in prison, assaulted countless players on and off the pitch, admitted to being an alcoholic, the list goes on. He's been forced out of his last few clubs because he's too much of a liability

Yes we need a shake up, but we don't need further drama thanks. We could also do with paying actual players instead of thugs, crocks and wasters for once

I think Barton's come a long way since then, unlike gabby who has always been a cock. 

• Like 1

Barton is hardly causing 'drama' at his current club. For the championship he's a quality player, I'd definitely sign him if we had the chance. He offers steel and composure (on the ball) in the centre of the park and knows how to read the game. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Leopards and spots and all that.

Id suggest he hasn't been at Burnley for very long to cause any trouble. But I haven't seen him play or heard anything of him recently so I can't comment.

I'll just say his reputation makes me uneasy about signing him. He'll need to prove its all behind him.

Plus he's 33? Not many years left in him

Edited by Duck

10 minutes ago, Duck said:

Leopards and spots and all that.

Id suggest he hasn't been at Burnley for very long to cause any trouble. But I haven't seen him play or heard anything of him recently so I can't comment.

I'll just say his reputation makes me uneasy about signing him. He'll need to prove its all behind him.

Plus he's 33? Not many years left in him

It doesn't matter, we need his qualities for the coming season, that's it.

• Like 1

I would take Barton he is a winners attitude and I think if he was offered he would jump at joining our club. I think last time in the Premier League he was found out a bit and he might realise he cant cut it at that level anymore

46 minutes ago, Duck said:

Barton or Westwood?

Bit of a no brainer for me.

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Pangloss, I'd give it a month before you started going on about how much you hated him and how awful he was.

Barton? I'm not so sure. I think you could consider him a 'quality' Championship player. I've always thought he's a good player in terms of technique and ability to read the game so unless he has a dramatic physical decline I think he'd be an excellent signing for us for the Championship.

42 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I would take Barton he is a winners attitude and I think if he was offered he would jump at joining our club. I think last time in the Premier League he was found out a bit and he might realise he cant cut it at that level anymore

I can see it too. Like Portsmouth getting promoted with Merson and him walking away. He is onto a good thing in the Championship at his age.

• Like 1