Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

I know Trent has already squashed McCormack but just to speculate for fun. 

I've not seen enough of him to know so I'm asking does he have enough to play upfront on his own? It seems to be RDMs preferred style of play but I'm just wondering how it would work if he is to join.

By all accounts his lack of pace is his major drawback so it sounds like he would have the movement to create a threat in behind which is what we really lack especially with Gestede up top on his own.

Which makes it sound like he'd be a 10 but then not sure Ayew has enough movement etc to play up top on his own. Maybe Ayew and Grealish either side? 

What do people think? Be ideal if you had seen him play of course.

Edited by villaglint

When I first heard the McCormack links I thought to myself journeyman and would have preferred someone a bit younger with scope to improve so that we could use him in the future. I thought that if McCormack was that good that someone in the PL would have taken a chance on him by now. 

However, the more I have thought about this I think to hell with that school of thought. Get him or similar in - score the goals to get us promoted. Plan for an upgrade then next summer if the gaffer thinks he's not up to it in the prem (assuming promotion of course) - get the scouts looking for that player as soon as is practicable with the resources available.

Players see clubs as stepping stones. Why not turn the tables?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, omariqy said:

If we have gone in for McCormack then it must mean that we have missed out on our main ST target. Or Ayew is leaving.

Every silver lining has a cloud? ;) You've no basis for that other than assuming the worst.

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

Every silver lining has a cloud? ;) You've no basis for that other than assuming the worst.

Oh of course it's pure guesswork.  However, considering we have had the whole summer to go after him and we haven't. Trent saying we are not in for him and also Pat Murphy saying we have no interest leads me to believe that he was a backup option. Further, RDM and Xia have been intimating that a PL striker is our target.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Apologies, was not meant to be, and never is a personal insult. It is just hard trawling through all of the nonsense on the forum sometimes and separating what is what.

Fair enough dude, i get what you mean, and my irony wasn't obvious enough to be fair

3 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Oh of course it's pure guesswork.  However, considering we have had the whole summer to go after him and we haven't. Trent saying we are not in for him and also Pat Murphy saying we have no interest leads me to believe that he was a backup option. Further, RDM and Xia have been intimating that a PL striker is our target.

Murphy has also said we are in for him. 
He's going to get it right one way or another.

• Like 2

I could see why McCormack would've been a backup option due to his age relative to the fee we would have to pay. I imagine Kodjia might've been too expensive considering he's only a one season wonder at this point, and maybe one or two others weren't interested (maybe due to us being in the Championship).

Edited by abdomlahor
  • Like 1

So....

Gollini

NewRB - Elphick - Okore - Amavi

Westwood  

Tish              Gardener

Grealish

McCormack - Ayew

Meh, midfield is too weak for me...

Would probably have to do 4-3-3....

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

So....

Gollini

NewRB - Elphick - Okore - Amavi

Westwood  

Tish              Gardener

Grealish

McCormack - Ayew

Meh, midfield is too weak for me...

Would probably have to do 4-3-3....

As Stefan suggested, Jedinak for Westwood and that's a proper team. 

I'm starting to think 3 more signings would give us a realistic chance. 

Gollini

Literally anybody other than Hutton/Bacuna - Elphick - Baker/Okore - Amavi

Gardner       Jedinak?

Ayew              Grealish                Someone

McCormack

3 more signings and that's a side capable of promotion.

• Like 4

Not saying Villa have done this as we don't know know what has or hasn't happened yet but I do hate the way clubs miss out on one type of player and then go heavy after a completely different player. Surely you have a plan or strategy of how you want to play and find someone to fit that. 

Mate Kodjia and McCormack the same type of player? Look completely different to me but I don't know either very well. Yes both expensive and both score goals but what is the plan of how to play them? 

Reminds me of Palace failing to buy Benteke then going after Berahino. 

• Like 1