Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

5 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Not saying Villa have done this as we don't know know what has or hasn't happened yet but I do hate the way clubs miss out on one type of player and then go heavy after a completely different player. Surely you have a plan or strategy of how you want to play and find someone to fit that. 

Mate Kodjia and McCormack the same type of player? Look completely different to me but I don't know either very well. Yes both expensive and both score goals but what is the plan of how to play them? 

Reminds me of Palace failing to buy Benteke then going after Berahino. 

If they have the ambition that we all hope they have, and what seems to be suggested by The Doctor, then hopefully it'll be both. We need more than one striker in anyway.

One is a good start though. McCormack, Kodjia and Gestede would have a huge amount of goals in the Championship between them and all have different positive attributes.

Edited by Pilchard

I don't really understand this love-in with McCormack. He is prolific at this level, no doubt. But so is Cameron Jerome, who has actually helped teams get promoted out of the Championship 3 times, rather than just being the top scorer in an awful team. He is also exactly the same age as McCormack. Can you image the chaos on here if we were linked with him, and he has promotion experience?!

I would much rather spend £12m on 3x £4m potentially good strikers (Kodija, Wells etc..), or 2x £6m on slightly better strikers with room to improve (Bamford, Clough etc..) I know its not that straightforward though........

• Like 1

Two different types of striker can be coached to fit into the same system and systems can be adjusted to include goal scorers of that ilk. 

I think it's accepted that regardless of what happens we need a mobile striker who knows where the back of the net is. Part of the reason we've struggled to create chances for lord knows how long is that we've had nobody to create for. Unless you count a lamppost. 

Kozak for example, is shit. However he does at least move. Which is partially why we did ok with him in the team for a few games last season. 

In my opinion we are absolutely desperate for a striker. A goalscorer. And their peripheral abilities are almost secondary. 

Just now, Jenko#4 said:

I don't really understand this love-in with McCormack. He is prolific at this level, no doubt. But so is Cameron Jerome, who has actually helped teams get promoted out of the Championship 3 times, rather than just being the top scorer in an awful team. He is also exactly the same age as McCormack. Can you image the chaos on here if we were linked with him, and he has promotion experience?!

I would much rather spend £12m on 3x £4m potentially good strikers (Kodija, Wells etc..), or 2x £6m on slightly better strikers with room to improve (Bamford, Clough etc..) I know its not that straightforward though........

I'd happily take Cameron Jerome. 

I also think you're way off if you think Kodija can be had for £4m, or Bamford for £6m. 

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I also think you're way off if you think Kodija can be had for £4m, or Bamford for £6m. 

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if their respective teams will want an additional £10m on top of those prices, judging by the transfer fees being bandied about.

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

Weren't we quoted 4m for Kodjia?

I may be remembering wrong but I thought it was about triple that.  If it is £4m then you'd think we could easily get him too.

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Maybe I'm off with the figures, but look at Andre Gray, (£6m from Brentford to Burnley), Benik Afobe (£2m for Arsenal to Wolves) Calum Wilson (£3m from Coventry to Bournemouth) There will be players like that out there at those sort of prices, like Clough for example, and I would much rather pick up 2-3 of those than rely on 1.

1 minute ago, NeilS said:

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if their respective teams will want an additional £10m on top of those prices, judging by the transfer fees being bandied about.

I've seen Bristol City want nearer £13m today, right or wrong, it seems a reasonable price tag.