Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

10 minutes ago, omariqy said:

It seems that we are interested in Kodjia.  However, either we won't go to the mooted £13m BCFC want or he is holding out for a PL move.

I hope we are playing hardball. I don't know why but I really have a feeling he could be brilliant for us!

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

McCormick is also 10-1 to be top scorer in the championship next season which seems amazingly good odds when I think he was only beaten by Grey last season

(interestingly the same odds as Rudy , who according to the write up had almost a 1 goal in every 2 games ratio for Blackburn in the Championship )

It is amazing how Rudy got those figures... Maybe the league is way poorer than I think, or maybe Blackburn knew exactly how to get the best out of him, or maybe a bit of both. I've seen virtually nothing from him that makes me think it's repeatable, unfortunately. I'd love it if he smashed even half of those goals in for us. 

9 minutes ago, GeneralJazzman said:

I think the McCormack links are part of us playing hardball over Kodjia, a 'we have other options' approach. 

Which won't work, Bristol don't want to sell so if they see us 'looking at other options' they will be relieved and carry on their preparations for Saturday with Kodija. We should just stick the 13 million down and get him in so he can train with the side before Sunday's game

50 million to spend we were told, so far we haven't even broken, what 10 million? Plus we are about to make over 10 million on the sale of Gana and Clarke

I honestly believe Sunday's game is massive and will set us on our way this season, a loss will just carry on the negative attitude from last season. And currently the squad we have don't look capable of bringing home 3 points.

5 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Yeah the sanchez story is on all the italian football gossip sites. He'd do well over here I think with a bit more time on the ball.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Which won't work, Bristol don't want to sell so if they see us 'looking at other options' they will be relieved and carry on their preparations for Saturday with Kodija. We should just stick the 13 million down and get him in so he can train with the side before Sunday's game

50 million to spend we were told, so far we haven't even broken, what 10 million? Plus we are about to make over 10 million on the sale of Gana and Clarke

I honestly believe Sunday's game is massive and will set us on our way this season, a loss will just carry on the negative attitude from last season. And currently the squad we have don't look capable of bringing home 3 points.

I think they don't want to pay large amounts for players who aren't going to add quality. We spent £40+ last season and it didn't improve our squad a great deal. Kodjia could be a flash in the pan, McCormack may not have the fight anymore. We assume footballers have the same desire as fans, to some of them it's their job and everyone can have a good day at the office. 

I know very little about Kodjia and McCormack beyond their show reels. £13m for Kodjia may be massively overpriced with little gain. 

1 minute ago, GeneralJazzman said:

I think they don't want to pay large amounts for players who aren't going to add quality. We spent £40+ last season and it didn't improve our squad a great deal. Kodjia could be a flash in the pan, McCormack may not have the fight anymore. We assume footballers have the same desire as fans, to some of them it's their job and everyone can have a good day at the office. 

I know very little about Kodjia and McCormack beyond their show reels. £13m for Kodjia may be massively overpriced with little gain. 

it seems our scouting is still rubbish so we will end up taking big gambles as we have no other options

OUT

Clark

Gueye

Bacuna

Cissokho

Kozak

Agbonlahor (please)

Lescott (please)

IN

Bamford

McCormack

Will Hughes

Rico Henry

De Laet

Barry (please)

Knockaert

Never going to happen but this is what I think we need to get close to coming back up this season.

23 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Fiorientina would be like winning the lottery for him, they weren't far off making the champions league last season and should challenge again.

He'll do well in Italy where it's more slow paced and tactical. Borja Valero was a flop at West Brom but has had a really good career in Italy and Spain.

Id be happy with

McCormack

Bamford

Morrison/Alberto

De Laet

Jedinak

Another cb. Lewis Dunk? Probably has Premier League interest.

All seem achievable and probably under 30 million.

Edited by KSV

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

It seems that we are interested in Kodjia.  However, either we won't go to the mooted £13m BCFC want or he is holding out for a PL move.

£13m is a crazy price although they might hope to get somewhere near that from a PL club that is awash with money someone should tell them we are not one currently. I think we would have taken him off their hands at half that price which would have been reasonable but the Doctor would not relish paying so far over the odds and Bristol trying to take him for a mug in the transfer window. I guess we might therefore turn to another target that we value at around £13m rather than pay that for a player that we value at half that.   

Just a daft thought but, maybe Southampton would be willing to do a deal for Charlie Austin.

Last season he played 16 times in the championship, scoring 9 goals. In the premiership, he played 7 times, scoring 1 goal. Unsurprisingly, he is far more prolific in the championship.

In the 4-5 month's he was a premiership player, he had 2 injury periods, one for a hamstring injury and one for a knee injury.

We know his knees are suspect but, as a club, we have experience of looking after shot knees. I refer of course to Paul McGrath, who we were told was finished because of his shot knees before he joined us. And yet we had the privilege of watching the master for 7 years. 

Partnering Austin, who is a clever player, with a younger player who could learn from him, could pay handsome dividends  in the long run. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KSV said:

Id be happy with

McCormack

Bamford

Morrison/Alberto

De Laet

Jedinak

Another cb. Lewis Dunk? Probably has Premier League interest.

All seem achievable and probably under 30 million.

Always thought Jedinak would add steel and leadership to the midfield. Doubt Dunk would be sold to rivals though, decent player though. 

I think our scouts have a long list of players but a lot of whom will be getting better offers. If we have a good season - promotion or very close to - then we shall seem like a better prospect for more interesting signings. 

We currently are looking like a tainted option / circus act in football. Up to RDM and Dr Tone to change that view. 

I get everyone is impatient and see the urgency in our situation needing players ahead of the weekend.

The problem is, we are competing for the players in that gap between the upper championship and lower prem. If you were any of the decent players being thrown around here i.e. McCormack, Bamford, Jedinak etc. what on earth would stop you from holding out for a prem club for as long as you physically can other than ridiculous buckets of cash which frankly none of us want to do unsustainably. We're lower on the food chain now unfortunately. It's genuinely better for McCormack to go to say Middlesborough guratanteed premier league experience and wages for 1 year at least.

I have no doubt we'll do most of our business near the close of the window and it wont be for lack of trying. The days of us poaching decent players off top clubs to get the merry go round going in the first place are long gone.

• Like 1

I just don't see us signing any more than 2 or 3 players to be honest. Obviously, i'm willing to be patient and see what happens, but right now i'm very worried about the season ahead, and as things stand right now, I think we'll be closer to relegation than promotion.