Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

the thing is with the wages, yes players are on big wages at Villa.  But anyone who has signed for us in the last two years, or signed a contract extension in the last two years have a 50% wage cut built into their deals.  Hence the players agent will have negotiated a lower get out clause to help them find a club that can get them back to the salary they wanted.............

what I'm trying to say is, say for example Amavi signed for us on £40k per week, which is too big for the championship, he will now be on £20k per week, which is about right for a top earner in that league........... and sustainable for us for the nxt two years with parachute payments..........

I think the point is the type of midfielder.

A defensive midfielder, for example, is there to defend the defence by making interceptions and tackles, to break up the oppositions play. He's not there to make surging runs through the opposition or, to hit 40,50 or, 60-yard passes.  

A deep lying playmaker, (Gardner type), is there to get the ball from theDM and hit the passes.

A box-to-box midfielder, (Tshibola), is there, to get the ball from the DM and take the ball forward, playing shorter passes, one-twos to create space and chances for others.

A second DM, (Lyden), is there to do the same job as the first DM. Normally, when two Dm's are played it's because. you are playing a three centre-back defence, which gives you a two-man forward line.  

Aston Villa have made a last-ditch move to hijack Norwich City's £12million move for Fulham striker Ross McCormack.

Norwich were offering £11million plus an extra £1m and were hoping to push through a deal for the Scotland international but Aston Villa owner Tony Xia has sanctioned a rival bid that is £12m plus add-ons based on promotion and that matches Fulham's valuation of the player.

However, Villa have moved to snatch him from Norwich's clutches and hope to have the deal wrapped up within 24 hours.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3719927/Aston-Villa-hope-beat-Norwich-12m-signing-Fulham-striker-Ross-McCormack.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

This would be fantastic. You don't get much better than McCormack for the Championship 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VillanousOne said:

so overpriced for a 29 year old, but for some reason we only have about three targets.

I think if he is the difference between going up or not going up then we just pay it in this one case.  I know we can't know definitively if he would be the difference or not beforehand, but if RDM judges him to be that important then go for it.  The money for going up dwarfs the initial cost, and he has probably at least 3 years left in him, so if we do fail, we can continue to build around him for subsequent attempts.

• Like 3

Good thing about McCormack is he is excellent at free kicks and corners, an area where we are currently weak.

I think him and Ayew will compliment each other with Grealish cutting in from the outside channel. 

Ideally, we could do with another wide player and striker but McCormack is a start. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Farlz said:

As said previously, I think we were waiting to match bids, as not to be ripped off, which is actually smart in the grand scheme of things. However I really wish we were getting a young strike who would/could grow with us, i'm hoping we can get both him and another.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He hasn't played consistent football in a long time, would represent a gamble for me. 

One I'd probably take. 

I was thinking about him as the younger player to grow with us,  if Mccormack is the one we are getting.  His age worries me a lot

As much as I'd like us to sign a new striker, I'd rather we spent big money on getting 2 new top quality midfielders in.

Hopefully this is what comes next, followed by a RB and a CB

12 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

but for some reason we only have about three targets.

Says who? Your spidey senses?

I suggest you go to the RDM thread and read the last statement he put out.

Aside from even that, common sense would suggest that is BS and just for effect.

Just now, Richard said:

I was thinking about him as the younger player to grow with us,  if Mccormack is the one we are getting.  His age worries me a lot

That would likely represent £25-30m on strikers! I wouldn't mind them both, of course, but I think that excessively ambitious. 

Ross McCormack, will be a great signing.  Get us up, Be a decent player in Premier as we consolidate, sell him off when hes 32.   Be £12m well spent

or the villa way will be he will be shite, never score and hell be on a 37 year contracr

• Like 1