Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

10 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

There's a reason Delph is so reviled, because players doing what he did is so incredibly rare. 

I get your point though, some people are mentally scarred. 

I did caveat my statement with the word 'guess'.

My belief is that with footballers they tend, for obvious reasons, to sometimes make decisions based on the general momentum of a squad. There is no loyalty between players and clubs no matter what every clubs PR dept says. It's mostly about the social dynamics and togetherness of a squad when it's not totally about money. For instance; IMO:-

Delph would not have left had it not looked likely that Benteke was off. He might have brought into the mood at the time that we could build and improve.
Similarly, when Barry left; it was like dominoes for Barry/Young/Milner/Downing - as it was the end of an era of sorts
You see it at other clubs where close knit groups leave within short time-frames as they character of a squad changes due to a manager leaving/star player leaving etc.

Gana and Clark have already made promises to Tone and RDM respectively and have, it seems, backtracked on that. My personal guess is that now Gana is gone, we'll see Ayew and later Amavi head for the door as they lose that initial buy-in to the plan that existed. We'll replace them hopefully.

Of course, this is all my own speculative nonesense so feel free to ignore it. I'm always a fan of a punt every now and again.

3 minutes ago, roadoftrinity said:

What's the deal with Bamford? He didn't get a look in at Norwich or Palace last season, I don't get why so many people seem to think he'd be great for us? 

Proven goalscorer at Champ level. Neither of those clubs you mentioned were in the Champ last season.

39 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

That would likely represent £25-30m on strikers! I wouldn't mind them both, of course, but I think that excessively ambitious. 

Why are people concerned about his age. A certain peter withe was near enough in the twilight of his career a journeyman who was what was it 29? also when Saunders signed him , but look what happened! If he can do the job to get us up great and build the team around him to get us up. If he can get us this magical 20 goals a season then why not? 

Edited by nazvfc
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, villafan306 said:

McCormack is exactly the kind of player who would we should be signing.  A proven goalscorer in this league.

He is 29, 30 next month.  That is surely in his prime?  I don't care if he costs 3 million, 13 million or 30 million.  If we have the money to spend we need to spend it.

His free kicks and corners are is main attributes never mind his goal scoring ability.  Imagine being a threat at set pieces.  Years since i have seen that. 

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think his age and relevant experience are a plus, to be honest. 

You could be right, perhaps moving to a new, "bigger" club will even give him a new lease of life and fire him up! Could actually be his prime? Must get boring scoring shedloads for no rewards after a certain amount of time.

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You could be right, perhaps moving to a new, "bigger" club will even give him a new lease of life and fire him up! Could actually be his prime? Must get boring scoring shedloads for no rewards after a certain amount of time.

He's got a lot of that relevant experience because of his age, the two go hand in hand. You're also right, in my opinion, that Villa would represent a big challenge for him. High profile. It didn't work out at Leeds due to them being a **** shambles at the time, maybe he wants a second bite at the cherry. 

It's a no brainer for me, from the outside looking in. 

Just now, OLDVILLAIN said:

sorry but 15m for mc cormack is scandalous..29 year old and not that much of a prolific scorer..Kodija and bamford we should be signing...and soon.

if we go up because of his goals would be the best 15m we spent. 

people say bent was a flop but we would have gone down much earlier had he not been signed 

1 minute ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

sorry but 15m for mc cormack is scandalous..29 year old and not that much of a prolific scorer..Kodija and bamford we should be signing...and soon.

Would you be disappointed with McCormack then? A 1 in 2.5 striker at this level. 

8 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I want Jedinak as well.

I'd be very happy with that, 

Having a spine of Elphick, Jedinak and McCormack would be excellent at Championship level imo. 

Edited by PieFacE

1 hour ago, VillanousOne said:

so overpriced for a 29 year old, but for some reason we only have about three targets.

I think an earlier post had indicated that we were struggling with our primary targets. The inference being that we have had to move to those three out of necessity.

I can't say I have seen much of McCormack, other than a half of football on tv playing for Leeds I think, against sha where he did look very lively and tore them apart I think it was 3 or 4 nil by half time. He missed a few chances early on before finally scoring and setting up a couple of goals. I was quite impressed, other than the misses which he should have scored as well, but I guess if he was sticking all his chances away he would be playing in the PL for a top team.

It looks like a lot of money at £12-£15m, but I guess if he gets us promoted at the first attempt it will be money well spent.

Edited by NeilS