Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

1 hour ago, VillanousOne said:

sadly Bridcutt is the type of player we need at this level, would rather keep Vertout but he doesn't want to stay.

if we are losing Gueye and Sanchez then we need some hard working players to cover the ground which i think is what Bridcutt does.

I don't think Westwood does anything that well to be valuable at any level.

No evidence of this.

• Like 1

Don't know anything about Bridcutt, but this link has a few tweets all basically saying he is pretty decent.  Also has history of working with Clark at Chelsea I think

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/07/18/leeds-united-and-aston-villa-fans-react-to-rumours-linking-liam/

Meanwhile, Leeds fans were divided about potentially missing out on signing Bridcutt; though some believe it would be a big blow to the club's ambition and aspirations, some appear to believe their hesitancy is likely due to Monk not being as keen on the player as Evans was.

@Zak_Allen If we lose out on Bridcutt, we can't seriously believe that we've strengthened our squad versus last year

@zakorton1 Bridcutt might be going villa? Ffs Cellino cough up the money for him his a class player

@LeedsUtdRyan Liam Bridcutt is keen on joining Leeds, so come on Massimo Cellino make it happen

@ScottEaglen Really hope we try sign Bridcutt. His experience and bite would be essential in our midfield. Stand out player for much of last season.

@Ant1970 Villa could be looking at Bridcutt, need to get him signed quick if we want him I think

@ianlilly If we don't sign Liam Bridcutt (which I don't think we will) think it highlights an issue and indicates we don't have money to compete

@Prokyp Bridcutt's wages have to be a problem for #lufc unless he's prepared to take significant cut. Villa can probably afford his salary.

@tdski_LUFC think I'm the only Leeds fan not particularly fussed about signing Bridcutt. Good player admittedly but he's not a must for me.

@themole1987 Maybe we ain't signing bridcutt because monk doesn't want to

Edit: haven't seen anyone from Leeds say he is shite or very poor....could be the sort of experienced player we need in the middle?

Edited by Gary Thomas

3 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

This is the squad currently unless I have forgot some players.

Gollini, Guzan, Bunn, Steer

Hutton, Richards, Lescott, Elphick, Baker, Clark, Okore, Amavi, Bennett, Cissokho

Gardner, Westwood, Gana, Veretout, Sanchez, Bacuna, Tshibola, Gil, Grealish, Traore

Gabby, Ayew, Gestede, Kozak, Sinclair

That is not including any youngsters. The squad is way too big and needs trimming back by at least 4 or 5 players. If we are to bring in another 3 or 4 players then it needs 7 or 8 to go.

Bolded the ones I think we'll be saying goodbye to.

3 hours ago, dn1982 said:

Unfortunately you can't make people buy the players we don't want. We've bought 3/4 of a new spine. If we were still in the PL I'd agree we'd be in for another season of trying to stay up but we aren't we are in a Championship that's 2/3 crap. It's a slog more than anything else. If we added in only a striker we'd be pushing for automatic. Look at Blues they're awful and were in with a chance of the playoffs until late on. Regardless of departures I can see 2 more coming in then I think it'll be one in one out just to keep a happy manageable squad. 

Well.....I will keep beginning by mentioning I AM in favour of patience - we need to give RDM a chance,...BUT................in my view whether other Clubs want the players should be immaterial.  We live in extraordinary times as the Chinese saying goes.....we , Aston Villa, were relegated, and very deservedly so.  The Club had a cancer.  We all know part of the problem was Lerner.  But we all are pretty sure a big part was the lack of (in differing degrees for different players ) ability, character, discipline, commitment, brains, heart, fitness, and desire.  So it is surely ESSENTIAL that certain players go.

I see it like this.

Tony has said there is money.  We all know at least (being very charitable) 4 players need to go  - and IMO go straight away - where is the point in playing them, having them around the kids, the new signings etc ? Where is the point ? So, very simply, if its true that there is money, pay them of them off and rip the contracts up.  What will it cost ? £30m ?  Worth every penny - (does Tony and the Board really want a genuine fresh start or not ?) and we are told every penny is available.

So my question would be  - why not ?

Is it because the money isn't there ? (That'd be a big problem, considering what we have been led to believe)

Is it because RDM thinks they can stay ? (That would show poor judgment in my view, but he is an expert , so...) 

Is he still deciding ? (I'd be worried about that, he could've watched every game from last year 6 times over by now)

Or, most optimistically, are their deals for them going to other Clubs in the pipeline (although why play them then ?)

I have a nasty feeling lurking that it is a combination of 1 and 2....but as I have said, I'll wait and see.  Clock very much ticking though.

• Like 3

i think your combination of 1 and 2 is right.  We don't know if someone may express and interest.  paying off 3/4 of a contract is better than paying all of it.  In the meantime, RDM and the coaches can run the rule and see if there is anything salvageable from these, and if it is salvageable, what it will take to do so.  I think (and hope) that if push comes to shove we will pay off some contracts and move on... but no sense doing that before all other options to get more value from the contract is eliminated.

I think the only one that will be hard to shift is Gabby.  Celtic will come in with another bid for Sinclair, I'm sure Richards will end up going somewhere between now and the end of August, Lescott we may have to pay up his last year or just let him go somewhere for free, Guzan will have suitors both sides of the Atlantic.  Bacuna could go back to Holland or a smaller league in Europe.  Why waste £30m?

10 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Bacuna could go back to Holland or a smaller league in Europe.

I think Bacuna said he wants to play in the Champions Lea...

tumblr_lx1c3d27Qs1qiklw8.gif

Sorry, I couldn't get all the way through.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

I hate to bring this up, but does anybody actually believe that there is a possibility that there isn't really any money available? I know that deals take time, I'm also aware that revamping a squad where most of the players are either uninterested or untalented is not a small task. But we're approaching the new season quickly and whilst I'm happy with the signings so far, I'm by no means blown away. Elphick was a spare player (yes a leader, what we need), Tshibola is a very young and inexperienced player and Golina the same (albeit not as inexperienced). That's it. Newcastle have gone and signed Ritchie and Gayle for a reported £22 million, I would suggest that is how you aspire to get back in the premier league, as well as the fact they appear adamant they're not selling Sissoko or Winyaldum. I don't want to panic but it's just with all the "Villa will be in the top 3 of Europe within a decade", this doesn't seem a great start. Even with structured management in place, a new attitude and three new players, I can't see our squad doing any better than a late play-off push. If things don't make much of a change I'd suggest our management are seriously underestimating how poor this squad was last season.

If we had shown any kind of spirit or fight last season i think the notion of going straight back up could be entertained, but for me it's unrealistic. RDM won't be able to get rid of the worst players easily or attract the class we necessarily easily either, which is why I see a lot of deals going right to the wire when players and agents realise they won't get the big moves they want and gamble on us.

We are not in a situation where a few new players will get us to where we need to be, there are so many factors at play here so many questions unanswered and it is going to take a long time for them to be answered.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

Just to rain on your parade, I don't agree with it.

I remain optimistic and reserve judgement until we get to September. It is rare for mass deals to be completed by the end of July. Newcastle had several months head start on Villa.

If we get to September and I'm disappointed, I'll be happy to eat humble pie-Currently though, I remain confident that money is going to be spent.

It was more of a joke, whether my post was good or not is relative to the person reading it. Also I'm not saying that money won't be spent or isn't available. I was asking what people's opinion of it was. As you say, a club in our position is going to struggle to sign players. But as is evident in football, money talks. We've seen plenty of players in the past go to clubs beneath them because of money. I know that doesn't guarantee success (QPR a prime example) but generally you can get what you want if you spend the money. Since players won't want to come because of our position then I do wonder why we're being so delicate about throwing some money about, which certainly would push us in the right direction as a start, even if it can't be maintained. (That then raises the doubt over our clubs spending power again).