Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

5 minutes ago, Jareth said:

No signings for 10 days = major #wobble time

Season starts in 20 days = people expressing frustration with lack of team rebuilding

• Like 2

Since we are all passing judgement on Craig's post.....  I think Craig is accurate as an assessment, but open to two conclusions: the more pessimistic conclusion that since we apparently don't have the funds or don't have the knowledge to move more quickly that we are doomed to the championship and mediocre to poor field outcomes or the more (IMO the more accurate view, but I will admit, not demonstrably factual) that we are making consistent positive steps within a cautious framework to be sure we don't make crazy missteps.  (Like getting a great goal scorer on a long contract, but one that can only score if given good service from the endline - Gestede or moving on someone who just needs a bit of coaching and a better environment to thrive - Albrighton: or getting experienced defenders with good experience but who were either past it physically or in ability to contentrate - Lescott, Richards).  

Becuase there is so much to be done to make this club great, I am as anxious as anyone to see it done.  But I am encouraged that the moves they are making are all positive and that RDM appears to be thoughtful about where he's going, including that he needs to move some on to other clubs.  I would rather our moves be positive but cautious early and become a bit more "daring" or expensive as we get closer.  Throwing a bunch of money around is not automatically a good thing.  Neither is throwing out players that RDM thinks can be coached and managed to be very effective.  So, while I would feel much less anxious if we had more action in the market already (outgoing and incoming), I'm still patient and cautiously optimistic.  It may not be a lack of funds or a lack of ability to see talent.  It may be that haste makes waste and thorough, more thoughtful evaluations are the order of the day.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

If we had shown any kind of spirit or fight last season i think the notion of going straight back up could be entertained, but for me it's unrealistic. RDM won't be able to get rid of the worst players easily or attract the class we necessarily easily either, which is why I see a lot of deals going right to the wire when players and agents realise they won't get the big moves they want and gamble on us.

We are not in a situation where a few new players will get us to where we need to be, there are so many factors at play here so many questions unanswered and it is going to take a long time for them to be answered.

Even with the losers we have, if we don't mount a serious title push something is very, very wrong.

14 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

It was more of a joke, whether my post was good or not is relative to the person reading it. Also I'm not saying that money won't be spent or isn't available. I was asking what people's opinion of it was. As you say, a club in our position is going to struggle to sign players. But as is evident in football, money talks. We've seen plenty of players in the past go to clubs beneath them because of money. I know that doesn't guarantee success (QPR a prime example) but generally you can get what you want if you spend the money. Since players won't want to come because of our position then I do wonder why we're being so delicate about throwing some money about, which certainly would push us in the right direction as a start, even if it can't be maintained. (That then raises the doubt over our clubs spending power again).

Yes, I realised it was tongue in cheek-I'm sure that you've made many good posts.

Reading between some of the cryptic comments made by Wyness and Dr Xia, they seem more concerned about the restrictions of FFP than they do of lack of funding. If these people really have no money at their disposal then they've just thrown £75 million down the drain. This club is a major project that requires major investment to become self sufficient, let alone successful-What motive is there for some bloke in China to throw £75mil at it and then languish in the obscurity of the championship whilst running the club on a shoestring budget?

Remember, these weren't the only interested party-They were selected as the purchasers as being the best bet for the club moving forward. The best bet surely means someone who is prepared to invest?

• Like 1

Anyone up for giving 38 y.o free agent Miroslav Klose a contract?

Edit: Had 7 goals and 7 assist in 24 games for Lazio last season, so still going strong.

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Since we are all passing judgement on Craig's post.....  I think Craig is accurate as an assessment, but open to two conclusions: the more pessimistic conclusion that since we apparently don't have the funds or don't have the knowledge to move more quickly that we are doomed to the championship and mediocre to poor field outcomes or the more (IMO the more accurate view, but I will admit, not demonstrably factual) that we are making consistent positive steps within a cautious framework to be sure we don't make crazy missteps.  (Like getting a great goal scorer on a long contract, but one that can only score if given good service from the endline - Gestede or moving on someone who just needs a bit of coaching and a better environment to thrive - Albrighton: or getting experienced defenders with good experience but who were either past it physically or in ability to contentrate - Lescott, Richards).  

Becuase there is so much to be done to make this club great, I am as anxious as anyone to see it done.  But I am encouraged that the moves they are making are all positive and that RDM appears to be thoughtful about where he's going, including that he needs to move some on to other clubs.  I would rather our moves be positive but cautious early and become a bit more "daring" or expensive as we get closer.  Throwing a bunch of money around is not automatically a good thing.  Neither is throwing out players that RDM thinks can be coached and managed to be very effective.  So, while I would feel much less anxious if we had more action in the market already (outgoing and incoming), I'm still patient and cautiously optimistic.  It may not be a lack of funds or a lack of ability to see talent.  It may be that haste makes waste and thorough, more thoughtful evaluations are the order of the day.

As I said I'm not accusing our owner of not having/not supplying the funds. I'm just entertaining the idea as a possibility and seeing if anybody else believes it to be true, as has been the case with other clubs owners in the past. I do feel the steps we've taken so far have been positive, just that they're not overly exciting, nor do they fill me with much confidence in regards to automatic promotion.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

Yes, I realised it was tongue in cheek-I'm sure that you've made many good posts.

Reading between some of the cryptic comments made by Wyness and Dr Xia, they seem more concerned about the restrictions of FFP than they do of lack of funding. If these people really have no money at their disposal then they've just thrown £75 million down the drain. This club is a major project that requires major investment to become self sufficient, let alone successful-What motive is there for some bloke in China to throw £75mil at it and then languish in the obscurity of the championship whilst running the club on a shoestring budget?

Remember, these weren't the only interested party-They were selected as the purchasers as being the best bet for the club moving forward. The best bet surely means someone who is prepared to invest?

I don't know, have you read many of my posts? I drink a lot ;) I tend to flip between positivity and negativity when it comes to our upcoming season and beyond. I was just curious how many people have the panic rat nibbling at them as I sometimes do. I know only time will tell and we have to wait and see. But the thought of Randy's 'best bet' brings the notion of who offered the most money upfront to mind. He clearly has enough money to run a football club, as you say, he wouldn't just blow £75 million to languish in the championship. I'm worried he's over sold himself and his money, and he has the delusion (as Mr Lerner had) that you can run a club on a low budget and still make money out of it.

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Bridcutt is a perfect example of a player who's utter shite at PL level but a very competent and dare I say good Championship one. I don't see the point in trying to get rid of Westwood only to sign Bridcutt.

Because Bridcutt is proven at this level. Westwood is not. Thus, less of a gamble. 

10 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Because Bridcutt is proven at this level. Westwood is not. Thus, less of a gamble. 

He's played and excelled at times at a higher level though

Edited by sir_gary_cahill
  • Like 1

Just now, Keyblade said:

I mean, Westwood is a proven average at least PL player which I think makes him a better player than Bridcutt.

Oh I see. 

I disagree. I don't hate him intensely like some but I think Westwood is well below Premier League average. He was nowhere near being the stand out player in a very shit Premier League team over 4 years. 

Either way it does not guarantee he will be a better player than Bridcutt at this level. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, terrytini said:

Tony has said there is money.  We all know at least (being very charitable) 4 players need to go  - and IMO go straight away - where is the point in playing them, having them around the kids, the new signings etc ? Where is the point ? So, very simply, if its true that there is money, pay them of them off and rip the contracts up.  What will it cost ? £30m ?  Worth every penny - (does Tony and the Board really want a genuine fresh start or not ?) and we are told every penny is available.

So my question would be  - why not ?

Is it because the money isn't there ? (That'd be a big problem, considering what we have been led to believe)

IMO we don't have anywhere near the amount of money Tony would have us believe.

• Like 2

Really not impressed with some of the names linked such as Bridcutt

Sunderland fans think he's shite and were glad to see the back of him i also think he's shite based on what i've seen of him

I'd say with the names we have been linked with and possible outgoings our squad will be of less quality next year and i don't think we will be promoted imo

Edited by AshVilla

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Season starts in 20 days = people expressing frustration with lack of team rebuilding

It would be remiss not to give our transfer activity some context compared to our competition in the Championship:

Aston Villa - 3 in, 2 out

Brighton - Ben Hall in, none out

Derby - none in, none out

Fulham - Aluko in, 5 out, including Dembele to Celtic

Ipswich - Adam Webster in, Paul Taylor out

Leeds - 3 in, 2 out

Newcastle - by far the busiest, but also arguably the most attractive side to join in the league - 5 in including Gayle, Gamez and Richie, 3 out including Townsend

Norwich - Sergi Canos in, Redmond and O'Neill out - Norwich are now weaker than last year IMO

Nottm Forest  - Thomas Lam in, none out

QPR - 4 in and none special IMO, Matt Phillips out

Reading, 3 in, 5 out including Tshibola and Robson-Kanu. Reading look weaker IMO

Sheff Wed - Steven Fletcher in, none out

Wolves - Andy Lonergan in, none out

I would reckon that the teams in bold are have yet to get going in the transfer market. Reading and QPR have been busy but are no better off IMO - in fact Reading have lost 2 of their better players without adding much quality. QPR are similar. 

Norwich are weaker without Redmond and I think will be looking to add to their squad and I'm surprised Pearson and Derby haven't done anything yet. 

Sheffield Wednesday are better off with Fletcher but could easily lose Forestieri this window.  

I think only Newcastle have done anything of note which may see them walk the Championship. The other teams have done less than us by and large so I think there a lot more to come before the end of the window.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Butterfingers said:

Just to rain on your parade, I don't agree with it.

I remain optimistic and reserve judgement until we get to September. It is rare for mass deals to be completed by the end of July. Newcastle had several months head start on Villa.

If we get to September and I'm disappointed, I'll be happy to eat humble pie-Currently though, I remain confident that money is going to be spent.

I agree with you, there is plenty of reason to still hope the necessary work will be done.

Too early to say the money isn't really there, but there are more reasons to be concerned now than there were a month ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

No signings for 10 days = major #wobble time

Well I don't know if that included me but my views have little or nothing to do with how long it is since we bought anybody. And I haven't really read much that says so either.