Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

but the difference is we needed to remove at least 7 from our squad when only 2 have left and none look like going soon

Sinclair has been subject of bids from Celtic and I can see that coming to fruition eventually

It's still early (players only back two weeks) and I'm sure now RDM has had the squad together he's made his mind up on which players to tout out. Hopefully these will include the likes of Lescott, Gabby, Richards and Bacuna and we can all be happy.

It's a tough ask to get some other idiots to take them off our hands - for once I hope their agents do their jobs and get them moves away.

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

but the difference is we needed to remove at least 7 from our squad when only 2 have left and none look like going soon

I don't disagree, I just highlighting that I'm sure a lot of clubs need to bring in and offload a lot of players, which they haven't done yet. The merry-go-round hasn't begun yet. When the market is relatively static, the places to offload our players to don't exist as yet. 

RDM has said many times that he needs to trim the squad. He knows this and Dr. X knows this. The players agents know they're not welcome and, as thick as they may be, so do the players. 

We've speculated that some of our better players may get snapped-up - players like Ayew, Amavi, Traore but they're still here. Carles Gil was apparently off to Spain - still here. With the exception of Newcastle, nothing has kicked off in the Championship transfer market yet for any other club, so I'm sure there will be a few more ins and outs over the next 2 or 3 weeks. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Butterfingers said:

Newcastle had several months head start on Villa.

Which is quite remarkable given we were as good as gone last Xmas. 

It highlights how unbelievably incompetent the previous incumbents really were. 

As for simply "cancelling player's contracts" would you really want the owner to waste millions in paying the likes of Lescott, Bacuna and Richards off when there's still 6 weeks of the window left to try and offload these guys (and may even take a small amount of money in)? 

Absolutely mental IMO.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, terrytini said:

Well.....I will keep beginning by mentioning I AM in favour of patience - we need to give RDM a chance,...BUT................in my view whether other Clubs want the players should be immaterial.  We live in extraordinary times as the Chinese saying goes.....we , Aston Villa, were relegated, and very deservedly so.  The Club had a cancer.  We all know part of the problem was Lerner.  But we all are pretty sure a big part was the lack of (in differing degrees for different players ) ability, character, discipline, commitment, brains, heart, fitness, and desire.  So it is surely ESSENTIAL that certain players go.

I see it like this.

Tony has said there is money.  We all know at least (being very charitable) 4 players need to go  - and IMO go straight away - where is the point in playing them, having them around the kids, the new signings etc ? Where is the point ? So, very simply, if its true that there is money, pay them of them off and rip the contracts up.  What will it cost ? £30m ?  Worth every penny - (does Tony and the Board really want a genuine fresh start or not ?) and we are told every penny is available.

So my question would be  - why not ?

Is it because the money isn't there ? (That'd be a big problem, considering what we have been led to believe)

Is it because RDM thinks they can stay ? (That would show poor judgment in my view, but he is an expert , so...) 

Is he still deciding ? (I'd be worried about that, he could've watched every game from last year 6 times over by now)

Or, most optimistically, are their deals for them going to other Clubs in the pipeline (although why play them then ?)

I have a nasty feeling lurking that it is a combination of 1 and 2....but as I have said, I'll wait and see.  Clock very much ticking though.

Yep cracking plan pay £30m to get rid of some players!!!! You do realise if we did that it would in our accounts and if we never went up this season it'd kick us in the arse due to FFP? Dr Xia said he'd give £30-50m this summer including the new signings we'd have £8m left to buy at least a Striker and probably more! If he watched every game last year none of the squad would be still here or do you want rid of all of them? How much would that cost? RDM wasn't my choice but he has my full backing and if he thinks certain players can help the team I'll back him. He isn't a Sherwood who won't integrate or a Remi who was weak. He's an experienced manager with an experienced back up team. The players won't get away with last years attitude. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StanBalaban said:

As for simply "cancelling player's contracts" would you really want the owner to waste millions in paying the likes of Lescott, Bacuna and Richards off when there's still 6 weeks of the window left to try and offload these guys (and may even take a small amount of money in)? 

Absolutely mental IMO.

Agreed. If its going to cost X amount to pay them off, why not just put them on gardening leave? 

Same cost to the club and it might encourage some of them to negotiate a vastly reduced settlement in order to leave and secure a contract elsewhere. There is absolutely no sense in paying them off, it actually means the players are rewarded for failure. 

13 minutes ago, av1 said:

Agreed. If its going to cost X amount to pay them off, why not just put them on gardening leave? 

Same cost to the club and it might encourage some of them to negotiate a vastly reduced settlement in order to leave and secure a contract elsewhere. There is absolutely no sense in paying them off, it actually means the players are rewarded for failure. 

There's no point going to the extent of airing our dirty laundry to such an extent. These guys will probably want out just as badly as we want them out. It's probably worth bearing in mind that the fans will probably be a lot more desperate than RDM to see the backs of these guys and are therefore more likely to suggest ideas like cancelling their contracts and gardening leave - aka Bomb Squad MkII.

The agents will know the score and will be trying to source moves. I imagine until moves are made at other clubs in the Championship and lower-half PL, then spaces are simply not there yet, but someone will get desperate - especially when looking for experience at the back. Opportunities for Lescott and Guzan may open up in the MLS and maybe Bacuna can get his dream move to Lincoln Red Imps of the Champions League. The transfer market is like the financial market, it relies on continuous movement in order to see any activity. Until players start moving around us, our guys - including those who may want to leave, yet we actually want to keep - are maintained in the status quo. 

26 minutes ago, av1 said:

Which is quite remarkable given we were as good as gone last Xmas. 

It highlights how unbelievably incompetent the previous incumbents really were. 

Not really-The previous ownership could not act until the future of the club was divided. The previous regime had a plan in place. They wanted Pearson as manager for example.

The new regime came in and the goalposts were moved. We have a manager that would not have been here if Lerner hadn't sold and a transfer budget to match previous seasons at best.

Newcastle had their contingency plans in place before our takeover was even completed-That is one thing you cannot throw at the previous regimes door.The previous regimes plans would have been entirely different to those of the new owners.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 7392craig said:

Newcastle have gone and signed Ritchie and Gayle for a reported £22 million, I would suggest that is how you aspire to get back in the premier league, as well as the fact they appear adamant they're not selling Sissoko or Winyaldum.

Yes, but you could also look at it another way.. Gayle couldn't even get into the Palace team. Do you really want us to blow money on championship players that will be useless once we get promoted? Didn't Gestede and Sinclair have amazing seasons in the championship not so long ago?

The way I see it Newcastle have spent £22m on players that wont be deemed good enough once they are promoted.

Gayle is this years Sinclair from 3 or 4 years ago.

What are the loan rules for the Championship? Does the loan window open outside of the transfer window? Hopefully our squad will be sorted by then but a few loan as we go from PL clubs would feel helpful 

Also remember that Rafa at newcastle has already had several month managing the team in the Premier League to get a grasp of who he likes and who he doesnt and where the squads strengths and weaknesses ate.

Rdm has had 2 weeks.  So its hardly surprising that we are moving slower than them...

• Like 2

I am concerned. I had hoped that we would have signed at least one or two more solid experienced players by now. 

We have more work to do than anyone else so I don't care what other teams have or haven't done yet. 

I am also concerned about the seeming reeling in of the ambitious talk.  I hope this is just the management team doing what a lot of people said when they were shooting off about large sums which could see us held to ransom. 

I am unimpressed with Tshibola and Gollini,  I am not convinced they are signings to get us automatic promotion but possibly ones for the future which is not what we need (see the mad signing of Adama Traore last year) we don't have the luxury of time to develop players if we want an immediate return so if we are relying on these to do the job it worries me. 

Need to see a few more signings like Elphick,  solid pro's who know the league and have performed well in it,  hopefully with previous promotions to their name. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

The way I see it Newcastle have spent £22m on players that wont be deemed good enough once they are promoted.

Gayle is this years Sinclair from 3 or 4 years ago.

But those players, added to what they already have, mean that Newcastle (imo) are going to win the championship in a canter, at which point they will probably buy better. 

History has shown that if relegated teams don't get back at the first or second attempt, they find it very difficult. A long term plan is fine, but at the moment I'll be happy with a squad that can get us out the championship, we can think about the PL once we are back. 

15 minutes ago, av1 said:

But those players, added to what they already have, mean that Newcastle (imo) are going to win the championship in a canter, at which point they will probably buy better. 

History has shown that if relegated teams don't get back at the first or second attempt, they find it very difficult. A long term plan is fine, but at the moment I'll be happy with a squad that can get us out the championship, we can think about the PL once we are back. 

With the loss of Townsend, Coliccini and Cisse in my view they've got worse despite signing Gayle and Ritchie. Sissokho and Wijnaldum most likely wont be there come end of the window either.

Just now, Junxs said:

With the loss of Townsend, Coliccini and Cisse in my view they've got worse despite signing Gayle and Ritchie. Sissokho and Wijnaldum most likely wont be there come end of the window either.

With the loss of Coloccini they've improved massively. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I think Newcastle will be weaker player wise by the time the season starts. There 3 signings so far aren't as good as what they had and they'll have more departures. One thing for sure is we will be better as we couldn't be any worse!! I just hope we can pull off a big signing as a show of intent.