Callum O'Hare

Villan4Life

6 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Apart from when he's played in the first team (albeit briefly) and looked more than good enough?

He played well against lower league opposition in the cup. From what I recall he didn’t shine when having a chance in the championship. I’m not writing the kid off by any means, but the thought he should be starting games is ludicrous. Fine have him as an option from the bench, no problem with that, but not as a starter.

I think he’s been brought on from the bench 4 times in the league. Three of those were while we losing (Cardiff, Wolves and Sheff Wed). The other was the Bristol City win.

Not lots of time to properly gauge and when he has been brought on it’s mostly been when we’ve had a bad day at the office.

29 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

He played well against lower league opposition in the cup. From what I recall he didn’t shine when having a chance in the championship. I’m not writing the kid off by any means, but the thought he should be starting games is ludicrous. Fine have him as an option from the bench, no problem with that, but not as a starter.

How does he become a starter though... if you don’t start him in some games to see what he can do?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

How does he become a starter though... if you don’t start him in some games to see what he can do?

You build it up. Give him 10 minutes, if he does well, give him 20. Let him do that a few times and show that he shouldn’t be out of the team and that he can have a positive outcome on a game. At the moment he’s done nothing to warrant a start at first team level, especially as results are so important at the moment. 

5 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

You build it up. Give him 10 minutes, if he does well, give him 20. Let him do that a few times and show that he shouldn’t be out of the team and that he can have a positive outcome on a game. At the moment he’s done nothing to warrant a start at first team level, especially as results are so important at the moment. 

There are starters in the team now who don’t warrant a place .

• Like 3

To be fair, it is very easy for us fans to say throw him in, give him a chance, but it is not our jobs on the line at the end of the season. There is a chance that O’Hare could be a great player for us, but a far bigger chance that he is not ready yet and will cost us goals, points and ultimately promotion.

There is a lot of pressure on us and Bruce to get promoted this season, and some of our fans can be very impatient if things aren’t going well. Not so long ago Grealish was being written off and sold for a couple of million, Davis is now a useless lump who is not good enough when after a few games it was Kodjia who?, Bree took some terrible stick at the game I saw him in at VP earlier in the season. Youngsters have ups and downs, can we afford the downs at this critical time of the season?

I can understand the calls for him to be given a chance as nothing’s better than a youngster coming good, but like @mikeyp102 says a gentle introduction here and there is the ideal way to go.

Just to clarify, I do hope he gets a chance (and think he will), grabs an assist or goal when he gets a chance and gives Bruce a selection option and makes it hard to leave him out.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, NeilS said:

To be fair, it is very easy for us fans to say throw him in, give him a chance, but it is not our jobs on the line at the end of the season. There is a chance that O’Hare could be a great player for us, but a far bigger chance that he is not ready yet and will cost us goals, points and ultimately promotion.

There is a lot of pressure on us and Bruce to get promoted this season, and some of our fans can be very impatient if things aren’t going well. Not so long ago Grealish was being written off and sold for a couple of million, Davis is now a useless lump who is not good enough when after a few games it was Kodjia who?, Bree took some terrible stick at the game I saw him in at VP earlier in the season. Youngsters have ups and downs, can we afford the downs at this critical time of the season?

I can understand the calls for him to be given a chance as nothing’s better than a youngster coming good, but like @mikeyp102 says a gentle introduction here and there is the ideal way to go.

Just to clarify, I do hope he gets a chance (and think he will), grabs an assist or goal when he gets a chance and gives Bruce a selection option and makes it hard to leave him out.

OK, I agree that it might not be right to play him.  But not playing him because he might cost of goals seems a stretch.  Without Jack and Albert we're not exactly lighting a world on fire.  So at best, he might cost us one dodgy PK call?   More likely that the ref would cost us that, than O'Hare.  It's not like were' thinking of playing O'Hare ahead of Jack or Albert.  We would be playing him ahead of some that haven't delivered from there.

If Bruce wants to try a "like-for-like" replacement plan (since the other plans haven't worked) Mr. O'Hare is the best chance he has.  I'm not suggesting that approach.  I'm just saying that no-one in recent game day rosters has been able to play anything resembling a like-for-like replacement, and that it is sometimes the best way for a team to adapt to important injuries.

Having said all that, I don't know if it's time to give O'Hare that shot or not.  I haven't seen him on the training pitch.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

OK, I agree that it might not be right to play him.  But not playing him because he might cost of goals seems a stretch.  Without Jack and Albert we're not exactly lighting a world on fire.  So at best, he might cost us one dodgy PK call?   More likely that the ref would cost us that, than O'Hare.  It's not like were' thinking of playing O'Hare ahead of Jack or Albert.  We would be playing him ahead of some that haven't delivered from there.

If Bruce wants to try a "like-for-like" replacement plan (since the other plans haven't worked) Mr. O'Hare is the best chance he has.  I'm not suggesting that approach.  I'm just saying that no-one in recent game day rosters has been able to play anything resembling a like-for-like replacement, and that it is sometimes the best way for a team to adapt to important injuries.

Having said all that, I don't know if it's time to give O'Hare that shot or not.  I haven't seen him on the training pitch.

I think it's definitely time to give him a shot. 100%. I've liked everything I've seen from him so far. 

That's the point of kids, to have a chance when the seniors are injured. 

4 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

I am referring more to the switching off and losing his man at a key moment, allowing the opposition a free run at our defence rather than giving away a Penalty. That is not saying the others are faultless either, but when needed to shut out a game we have been pretty successful in seeing out the final minutes of a match by keeping a tight unit.

I am not saying he shouldn’t be played at all, just that I can understand Bruce being cautious when it is his job is on the line. Like you, I haven’t seen much of him on the training pitch, reports suggest he is doing well at u23 level but that is nowhere near the same level. Personally I would have liked him to go on loan to gain experience and confidence before being thrown into a must win promotion scenario, but I imagine our injury problems made that impossible.

47 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Sounds like a perfect description of Onomah;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kingman said:

O'Hare had posted a Xia type cryptic tweet earlier but deleted it  = 1f4de.png(te    

shswhatever that means? Guess he got the call.

He deserves a chance as we have nothing else in that area. It would be down to him to show what he can do if given the chance.

• Like 1

He didn’t play last night so he’s going to be in the squad.

Its good news.

Hes not a saviour, and he maybe shouldn’t start, although there’s an argument for starting him knowing he’ll have an hour, but at least it gives us a sorely needed option.

And it’s evidence that Bruce perhaps now recognises caution may not be such a good idea.

• Like 2

Â