Callum O'Hare

Villan4Life

23 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

The times I have seen him play I was impressed with his energy and desire. And I certainly thought he was effective.

so did I AB.....but I also seen him come on recently and he was dispossesed very easily.

If you are diminutive as Callum is, you have to be exceptional and be able to keep out of trouble ( avoid contact).....Carles Gil showed us that ability is great, but the bully boys just drive you out of the game....to overcome that you have to keep scoring and damage them that way, make them stay away from you and put THEM in fear.....its a fine balance to get right.

Players like Messi, Modric etc have the ability to ride tackles and stay effective, but lets face it who is that good.....teams like Cardiff will easily take him( Callum) out.

I don't think he is quite ready....but can see the rationale for wanting him playing.

39 minutes ago, TRO said:

so did I AB.....but I also seen him come on recently and he was dispossesed very easily.

If you are diminutive as Callum is, you have to be exceptional and be able to keep out of trouble ( avoid contact).....Carles Gil showed us that ability is great, but the bully boys just drive you out of the game....to overcome that you have to keep scoring and damage them that way, make them stay away from you and put THEM in fear.....its a fine balance to get right.

Players like Messi, Modric etc have the ability to ride tackles and stay effective, but lets face it who is that good.....teams like Cardiff will easily take him( Callum) out.

I don't think he is quite ready....but can see the rationale for wanting him playing.

Terry is a fan. 

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Same. I think if he were the answer, we'd have seen him at least on the bench by now. 

Agreed. He has a bright future but massive difference playing for the u23 and fighting for promotion from this league. 

Onomah won the u20 world cup last summer and now looks not up to the task.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Agreed. He has a bright future but massive difference playing for the u23 and fighting for promotion from this league. 

Onomah won the u20 world cup last summer and now looks not up to the task.

I agree totally.

The physical game, can be brutal and you don't get any empathy from refs in this league.

I hope we do get to see his silky skills, quick feet, quick deliver and good positional sense and a decent passer of the ball.....but there is a dark side and its hard to overcome.....hope he does.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Fact is people can speculate all day whether he is strong enough but we’ve got little alternative creatively, we don’t, as a side, play the type of football that’s going to intimidate the opposition unless we’ve some creativity.

Many small, weak, diminutive players have thrived- and they all have to start somewhere then get better - if we wait until he’s the finished article (a) how does he become that and 

(b) it might be too late.

Remains to be seen how Bruce addresses the creativity issue, I hope he has an answer that does not simply involve picking the most picked players, as so often.

I fear his natural caution is more the issue here and hope it doesn’t become an issue.

We will see tonight.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Needs to start over jokers like Onomah who contribute the square root of zero.

Agree. Onomah is only a year or so older than him and RHM. Rather we develop our kids. I think O'Hare has more potential anyway. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, lukesmith17 said:

He is the most like for like replacement for JG so its a no brainer for me 

I would have him sniffing around the first team much more, with little cameo's regularly as opposed to a full game.....but I have to accept that the coaches know better than me.

I understand the reluctance and I understand that ability is only a part of the equation, especially in this "Madmax " League of pushing shoving shirt ripping etc that these refs just ignore.

but we can't keep ignoring him and to be fair he is doing all that is being asked of him in the U23's ......we have to reward endeavour.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

What is baffling to me is that for the first time in a long time we have had youngsters step up to the senior team and actually make a difference. Both RHM and O'Hare have made appearances and looked right at home and made a good impression. If we are floundering slightly and need some fresher legs then I am not sure why we would not use them even on the bench. I personally would not start O'Hare because I think it is very harsh to throw a youngster in to help salvage your poor form. It's a lot of pressure but they should involved in the squad. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lukesmith17 said:

He is the most like for like replacement for JG so its a no brainer for me 

He is.

but don't forget, Opinion was divided on Jack, when he was going to ground so often and failed to stand on his feet.....not a criticism, more observation.

got injured.....came back as a man.

now only the coaches at Body Moor, know what they did.....Ollie Stevenson i understand had him on a strength building programme.....so they know what they are doing.

maybe they have to do the same with Callum, maybe they think its not quite the right time yet, who knows?

I am sure Callum O'Hare will be a first team player at some stage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, omariqy said:

What is baffling to me is that for the first time in a long time we have had youngsters step up to the senior team and actually make a difference. Both RHM and O'Hare have made appearances and looked right at home and made a good impression. If we are floundering slightly and need some fresher legs then I am not sure why we would not use them even on the bench. I personally would not start O'Hare because I think it is very harsh to throw a youngster in to help salvage your poor form. It's a lot of pressure but they should involved in the squad. 

I'd say it's the opposite. There is almost no pressure on O'Hare. We don't expect him to be our savior. If he does better than Onomah, then we all say see he should have been playing. If he has a poor match, then we say okay maybe he needs more time before being a starter. 

Either way, I don't think 1 match will change my opinion on him. I want him starting on saturday solely because the other options haven't worked. 

• Like 3

Safe to say he'll be in the squad at least Saturday. Think Bruce was expecting a lot more from Hourihane against Preston. Think he now knows he needs some creativity against Wednesday. Must be well aware of his progress for the reserves. Id start him, just tell him to play the game not the occassion. Didnt get involved as much as youd hope in the cup games he played earlier in the season and Bruce has probably made his judgment on those few appearances that he isnt ready yet. Well now is your time youngn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If O'Hare is good as people make out then it really makes no sense if he can't make the squad right now. 

Well none of us have really seen him with the first team so it all just assumptions that he is good enough. Yet the ones who have seen him, ie the coaches obviously don’t think he’s ready

• Like 1

Just now, mikeyp102 said:

Well none of us have really seen him with the first team so it all just assumptions that he is good enough. Yet the ones who have seen him, ie the coaches obviously don’t think he’s ready

Apart from when he's played in the first team (albeit briefly) and looked more than good enough?

Â