Callum O'Hare

Villan4Life

15 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

True, I also believe we would benefit releasing Onomah and bringing one of our own through.

I don't Onomah's a decent player, and it would seem is not being played in his position.

I still want to see  O'Hare given opportunity, I think he's first in behind Grealish in the AM role.

Whereas Onomah should be behind Hourihane in CM. He's just not creative enough to play in a free role behind the striker. I still think he has decent build up play though.

• Like 1

I can see all the good things in this kid.....but I can also see why SB leaves him out.

Jack was like him, all the talent, but could not dominate the ball or the play.....Now he can.

I guess Steve is just waiting for Callum to do the same, but paradoxically he is only likely to learn that in the first team.....catch 22

Perhaps he needs to work with Ollie Stevenson on his strength building, like Jack

16 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Whenever we lose a game this thread seems to return. 

It’s more that Grealish is out. He’s a younger, rawer and more direct version but they fit the same role and some fans want to see round pegs.

24 minutes ago, a m ole said:

It’s more that Grealish is out. He’s a younger, rawer and more direct version but they fit the same role and some fans want to see round pegs.

I do think he deserves game time, even if it is cameo roles

I agree with the general sentiment that O'Hare should play ahead of Onomah, but...

...doesn't he currently play with the U23's or something and, typically, play 1 or 2 days before our league game schedule?  If so, do you start taking him out of the U23's so that he can sit on the bench for the first team?  If so, does that benefit him at all?  I don't see how it does.

For me, unless O'Hare is about to be a starting player for us, I'd rather see him continue to play and continue to develop at youth level than suddenly have him making 15 minutes cameos for the first team.  Blood him in properly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I can see all the good things in this kid.....but I can also see why SB leaves him out.

Jack was like him, all the talent, but could not dominate the ball or the play.....Now he can.

I guess Steve is just waiting for Callum to do the same, but paradoxically he is only likely to learn that in the first team.....catch 22

Perhaps he needs to work with Ollie Stevenson on his strength building, like Jack

How dare you reasonably see both sides of the argument regarding Callum's inclusion, when it's obvious to absolutely everyone that he is clearly the immediate answer to our attacking options in Jack's absence?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

How dare you reasonably see both sides of the argument regarding Callum's inclusion, when it's obvious to absolutely everyone that he is clearly the immediate answer to our attacking options in Jack's absence?

sorry.:)

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

I agree with the general sentiment that O'Hare should play ahead of Onomah, but...

...doesn't he currently play with the U23's or something and, typically, play 1 or 2 days before our league game schedule?  If so, do you start taking him out of the U23's so that he can sit on the bench for the first team?  If so, does that benefit him at all?  I don't see how it does.

For me, unless O'Hare is about to be a starting player for us, I'd rather see him continue to play and continue to develop at youth level than suddenly have him making 15 minutes cameos for the first team.  Blood him in properly.

who would be a football manager?

Edited by TRO

19 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If Bruce felt O'Hare was good enough to play Attacking midfield if Grealish was out he would at the very least have been on the bench in the recent games. Very unlikely he will feature. 

Unlike of course he is injured. 

Bruce hasn't been the best judge of a player's abilities so far. Adomah wasn't even a bench player until he scored a couple in the cup. I know he was injured, but Adomah was fit for weeks before he got a chance and that was in the cup.

Bruce repeatedly played Bacuna and Lansbury over Hourihane even when both were playing terribly. 

Whelan was also a starter for us for months and only lost his place once he became sick. Bruce even admitted he would have played Whelan instead of Jedinak if it weren't for the illness.

Basically I don't really trust Bruce to know where each player plays best. Thor looked terrible out wide, but has been good in the middle. Onomah was good in the box to box role, but Bruce pushed him to attacking mid and even striker where he has been pretty poor. 

I personally think O'Hare deserves a shot. He is way too good for our U23s and plays most similar to Grealish who has been thriving in Bruce's system. 

• Thanks 2

I don't know if he's ready or not.  

However....... I think he has shown more potential than Onomah and would rather give the better development time to someone whose contract we own, rather than somebody else's player.  In addition, if you wanted to replace round peg for round peg.  I think he's the closes to Jack that we have.  (That's based only on seeing the first team play, so is certainly not extensive coverage of many and zero coverage of many more.)

There's no way Bruce can or should come out and say WHY he isn't using Ohare, but I would be very curious to understand the reasons.

6 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Bruce hasn't been the best judge of a player's abilities so far. Adomah wasn't even a bench player until he scored a couple in the cup. I know he was injured, but Adomah was fit for weeks before he got a chance and that was in the cup.

Bruce repeatedly played Bacuna and Lansbury over Hourihane even when both were playing terribly. 

Whelan was also a starter for us for months and only lost his place once he became sick. Bruce even admitted he would have played Whelan instead of Jedinak if it weren't for the illness.

Basically I don't really trust Bruce to know where each player plays best. Thor looked terrible out wide, but has been good in the middle. Onomah was good in the box to box role, but Bruce pushed him to attacking mid and even striker where he has been pretty poor. 

I personally think O'Hare deserves a shot. He is way too good for our U23s and plays most similar to Grealish who has been thriving in Bruce's system. 

I think you make a point worth considering.....but equally he has to consider team spirit and camaraderie .....if you drop every player who's had the odd poor game, the inconsistency being what it is at this level, we would be changing the team every 5 minutes.

I would have taken Hourihane off against Blues, but the he hits a worldie.....its not easy, only hindsight is.

I don't think we have quite enough standout players and the ones we have right now are injured.

Its easy to pick out Albert, but at the time he was not playing like he is now.....and he was left out because Bruce wanted more from the defensive side of his game.

I hear what you say about O'Hare and I am very tempted to join in ( just like Tom Jones with his button), but, needs to improve his presence.

14 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

I don't know if he's ready or not.  

However....... I think he has shown more potential than Onomah and would rather give the better development time to someone whose contract we own, rather than somebody else's player.  In addition, if you wanted to replace round peg for round peg.  I think he's the closes to Jack that we have.  (That's based only on seeing the first team play, so is certainly not extensive coverage of many and zero coverage of many more.)

There's no way Bruce can or should come out and say WHY he isn't using Ohare, but I would be very curious to understand the reasons.

I think he would get clattered and we would lose him from the game.....just like we did with Jack before his injury......Jack has come back a different more robust player...and even he is taking some stick.

but conversely.....I can see the reasons why he should be in.....its tricky.

• Like 1

I think Villa has a history of being overly cautious in giving youngsters a chance.

Loads of clubs give younger players than ours regular game time but for us it always seem to be too early, the wrong type of game, not the right moment of the season, too much at stake and so on.

Ciaran Clark(e) was considered a "youngster" when he was 26 ffs.

Not saying we never play young players, or that O'Hare is ready. I've no idea if he is.

But I rather give him the time than some as of yet at least not very good guy from Spurs who'll be gone in 3 months time. And who IMO hasn't got the attributes to play in said position.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I think you make a point worth considering.....but equally he has to consider team spirit and camaraderie .....if you drop every player who's had the odd poor game, the inconsistency being what it is at this level, we would be changing the team every 5 minutes.

I would have taken Hourihane off against Blues, but the he hits a worldie.....its not easy, only hindsight is.

I don't think we have quite enough standout players and the ones we have right now are injured.

Its easy to pick out Albert, but at the time he was not playing like he is now.....and he was left out because Bruce wanted more from the defensive side of his game.

I hear what you say about O'Hare and I am very tempted to join in ( just like Tom Jones with his button), but, needs to improve his presence.

The times I have seen him play I was impressed with his energy and desire. And I certainly thought he was effective.

Â