The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Whether Remi is the worst or best of the lot....right now, this is not of his doing.

Sherwood and Lambert would have lost that game.....and I am not saying it was ALL their fault either.

This situation is one hell of a mess and we have been drifting towards it for sometime.....Every time we enter the transfer market, I cringe.

I really don't know what the man is going to do.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

We're desperate and don't really have the luxury of a bedding in period. Objectively Everton was always going to be a bridge too far, but we need points and now have to get them against the 'better' sides, so the manner of the defeat was pretty diabolical. But at the end of the day, we have to beat Watford, no excuses.

45 minutes ago, ClarrieBlue said:

2 games apparently, mind boggling what some people write on here. 

As I said it's a feeling I have. I may well be wrong but I really don't think this is going to end well. I didn't expect anything at everton however I did not expect it to be that woeful. The line up and the set up from the start though was atrocious

He will need to be a magician to turn this around. It was not an irretrievable position when he arrived and it still isn't right now. But, there are absolutely no signs that these players are beginning to find some form or cohesion and that's what scares me most. 

I'm not writing off the players that we bought in the summer. I just think there were too many foreigners who were young, new to the league and badly managed for the first 10/11 games. I think they will come good and show themselves as some standard of Premier League player but, I just fear the damage will be done by then and they won't be able to turn it around. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

At the moment we have one point more than I expected from the last two games. Let's not panic just yet; give the man a chance.

I expected 1 point from Garde's first 3 games, and us staying up by the end of the season.

I still haven't changed my mind, i think we'll stay up (just).

This also assumes that Remi is given a chance to bring in a couple of his own players in the January transfer window.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, villarocker said:

He will need to be a magician to turn this around. It was not an irretrievable position when he arrived and it still isn't right now. But, there are absolutely no signs that these players are beginning to find some form or cohesion and that's what scares me most. 

I'm not writing off the players that we bought in the summer. I just think there were too many foreigners who were young, new to the league and badly managed for the first 10/11 games. I think they will come good and show themselves as some standard of Premier League player but, I just fear the damage will be done by then and they won't be able to turn it around. 

End of the day we have employed him to win football matches. I agree it's a really poor squad but then imo Bournemouth, Norwich and Sunderland all have poor premier league squads. One of the four will stay up this season, maybe two so a couple of those managers will exceed expectations.

Don't quite understand how people saying Sherwood's a chancer and is useless for losing game after game will seemingly just sit back and say Remi has no chance if we lose game after game. The mitigating circumstance of course is the fixture list is a lot harder atm due to Sherwood messing up the easy start spectacularly so I accept that.

I don't accept us getting relegated meekly. If that happens I don't want him managing us in the championship as a fair few foreign managers have struggled in that league recently. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

End of the day we have employed him to win football matches. I agree it's a really poor squad but then 1) imo Bournemouth, Norwich and Sunderland all have poor premier league squads. One of the four will stay up this season, maybe two so a couple of those managers will exceed expectations.

Don't quite understand how people saying 2) Sherwood's a chancer and is useless for losing game after game will seemingly just sit back and say Remi has no chance if we lose game after game. The mitigating circumstance of course is the fixture list is a lot harder atm due to 3) Sherwood messing up the easy start spectacularly so I accept that.

4) I don't accept us getting relegated meekly. If that happens I don't want him managing us in the championship as a fair few foreign managers have struggled in that league recently. 

1) Bournemouth and Norwich managers have had more time working with their squad. As for Sunderland, you may have a point. But at this point in time, Garde has had two games. Too early to call yet.

2) Sherwood kept us up, and does indeed deserve praise for that. But the very same chancer traits that helped him keep us up last season (loud-mouth, braggart, over-the-top-confidence) worked against him this season (and possibly the last games last season including the cup final - losing mentality, not my choices etc). Chancer and long-term out of his depth: IMO yes. If Garde goes on to lose game after game after some time in charge he deserves to be criticised. Chancer? No, I don't believe so. From what I know of Garde, he seems to be the exact opposite of Sherwood as a manager - an anti-Sherwood, you might say. Not a PL-quality manager, or not suited to this squad in the current league position? Possibly. Currently he has lost one single game... Let's see, shall we? 

3) IMO, Sherwood didn't only mess up the 'easy' start (not as 'easy' as you might think with a new squad needing to gel from the word Go and playing a settled team with managers knowing the team's strengths and weaknesses) - he messed up the squad's confidence long-term. Any manager would have their work cut out to restore the team's confidence, not only in their own abilities but also in their team-mates' after that barrage of negative and self-aggrandizing comments he made (not to mention the team selections and borderline kamikaze subs).

4) Yes, agree with you (but not fully, however!) on this. If there are no hints of a new manager beginning to turn it around, instilling some belief and fight into the team this season, someone else should take over next season. But surely the manager's ability is more important than his nationality?

• Like 1

If we lose every single game for the rest of the season, I wouldn't blame Remi Garde. This is not his fault. It can't be the case that all managers become terrible as soon as they come here. The club is so far behind in the PL and is so lacking in investment that this situation and relegation has been inevitable for some time.

• Like 1

Also I wouldn't bet any money at all on us beating Watford. They're far better than us. We are quite solidly the worst team in the league and we are both mentally and physically shot to bits.

I really hope people don't turn against Garde when the inevitable happens. Lyon were basically begging him to stay so how can he be a bad manager?

• Like 1

My that is interesting. That must have been what Pearson did last year too then. Bet Pardew walked into Selhurst Park and started talking to everyone in their own languages in the dressing room now I think about it, and Pulis. Must be why the Baggies are doing better than us. Was this what Mourinho did last year? He must have decided to only talk in the dressing room in one language this year then. If only Klopp works this out now he's out of Germany, Liverpool will win the league. Wicked, I'm phoning Rémi to tell him we've cracked it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Supervillan78 said:

How anyone can blame Garde for this mess is just idiotic IMO.

So true sherwood and wilkins are 50% to blame, fox, almstradt or whatever his name is and reilly are the otehr 50%

The whole club is a mess, complete shambles. we have just forgotton how to win games FFS. We just have  a team of babies and bottlers who have no fight whatsoever. Disgrace to the shirt

Â