The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

On 22/11/2015, 21:13:16, villarocker said:

I'm not writing off the players that we bought in the summer. I just think there were too many foreigners who were young, new to the league 

I agree. I don’t blame the players for one second needing time to settle in but by the time they do we may well be relegated. I think that was the trouble with our transfer policy over the summer. It is one thing signing promising players from abroad and/or from inferior leagues and then introducing them slowly and allowing them time to get up to speed but in Amavi, Gana, Veretout, Traore, Ayew, Gestede, Crespo, Illori we signed 8 players with no Premier League experience and 6 of them no experience at all of English football. We didn’t have the opportunity to allow them time to settle as they came into a squad that had just finished 17th and lost its four best players. These lads simply had to hit the ground running and the reality is not one of them has. A number of them have looked the part in brief spells but that simply isn't enough unfortunately.

The summer transfer business on the face of it looked decent but it was a huge gamble and it is one that so far has failed miserably. These players are now under huge pressure which will not aid in them settling in. It is a vicious circle really as they needed time but the longer they have been here due to the added pressure that comes with continually losing then the worse they have got. We have gone backwards. I hoped it may simply be down to Sherwood but I fear that now may have been wishful thinking and that it is simply a case of the players aren't good enough or they are but by the time they settle and gel it will be too late or the pressure will have become too much for them and they won’t be able to handle a relegation scrap.

Much like the players I have heard some say that Garde needs time. I don’t disagree with that but we don’t have time and if Garde is someone that needs the two or three months of a pre-season to turn things around then he was the wrong man to bring in. We needed someone who could do what Sherwood did last season and make an impact with in the first handful of games. I still hope Garde can be that man but realistically if we don’t get a win Saturday then given our predicament and the fact confidence will be rock bottom then any chance of a new manager bounce will have gone.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Woodytom said:

It would have been proactive. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but how many ppl thought it was harsh when adkins got ditched by Southampton.

Adkins hadn't been in charge for a couple of months and completely turned the fortunes of the club around in that time.

I hate Sherwood as much (probably more) as anyone. But it's moronic to say he should have been sacked in the summer (at the time)

• Like 3

Yes we bought in a load of new, mostly young-ish, foreign players - but for the most part they weren't completely bargain basement and had some pedigree. There are plenty of similar/lesser players on paper who are performing really well for their clubs.  For me 90% of the blame lies with Sherwood.  He obviously didn't rate them or want them and/or was unable to work with them - by the time he left every one of them had been dropped no matter what form we had seen from them.

The reason they haven't been able to settle is that they never knew what formation, tactics or even position they were supposed to play in.  What we needed in the summer was someone with a clear vision of how they wanted to play, the ability to get this across to the squad and let them grow into those roles.  Guzan would not be having as shit a season if he had played with a settled back 4 in front of him.  The individual mistakes that have cost us so many points - ditto.  You need confidence and trust in the players around you.

I'm confident Remi will provide a proper framework and tactics and from that performances and results will improve.  Whether it will be soon enough I doubt very much.

• Like 2

The manager arranged a friendly game today against Fleetwood to assess squad members.

Report from AVFC.CO.UK

Adama Traore, Libor Kozak and Charles N'Zogbia all played 90 minutes as Villa ran out comfortable winners over Fleetwood Town in a behind-closed-doors match at Bodymoor Heath.

Defender Jores Okore also stepped up his return from a long-term knee injury while Philippe Senderos also featured for the full match.

U21 skipper Jordan Lyden put the hosts in control with two well-taken strikes from the edge of the penalty area.

Kieran Dunbar reduced the deficit before the break.

Adama Traore restored Villa's two-goal advantage before a penalty from Fleetwood's Vamara Sanogo made it 3-2.

In the end, the claret and blues' quality and experience shone through as goals from N'Zogbia and the impressive Traore secured a comprehensive win.

There was also a useful workout for midfielder Gary Gardner.

Villa: Bunn, Webb, Okore, Senderos, Kinsella, Traore, Lyden, Gardner, Hayes, N'Zogbia, Kozak.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rubberman said:

I'm confident Remi will provide a proper framework and tactics and from that performances and results will improve.  Whether it will be soon enough I doubt very much.

Where are people getting this unfounded faih in Remi from?

Yes we had a system against city, but even then they had three clear chances inside the 6 yard box. 

Against Everton we were bloody awful, there was no shape, no style of play, no cohesion. Setting to play defensively but then having Gil and Grealish in the team made no sense.

Not saying he won't become a good manager, but I just find this faith that people have in him at the moment very strange considering his recent tactics.

https://t.co/z5IAWG7d4g

Garde is also on a collision course with the Villa hierarchy after it emerged the club is continuing to push for Round to join the backroom staff.

Round met with the Frenchman at Bodymoor Heath nearly a fortnight ago, on the club’s recommendation, but last week Garde appeared to rule out the move by claiming there was no room for David Moyes’ former assistant.

However, Villa’s board remain keen for Round to come in as No 2 and assist Garde, as they believe top-flight experience is vital as they bid to avoid relegation to the Championship.

Round worked with Moyes at both Manchester United and Everton and a final decision will be made on whether he joins Garde in the next 24 hours.

Gota be honest first they pick players to buy  , now they want to tell the manager what assistant to have ..:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, DK82 said:

Article suggests they want premier league experience to help avoid the drop...

that could have been solved by appointing Allardyce or Moyes!

Premier League experience all over. we should bring in gary megson, sammy lee, steve kean or kevin mcdonald as his assistant

On ‎24‎/‎11‎/‎2015‎ ‎00‎:‎23‎:‎19, lexicon said:

Nah - I hated Sherwood more than most

17 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I hate Sherwood as much (probably more) as anyone.

Should we start a league table of who hated Sherwood most?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

We are in big trouble even if taht muppet Lerner gives money. No top 6 championship striker is going to want to come here as we could be swapping divisions and not many good premier league rejects will want to either

which means looking at abroad.

There isn't a player in the championship that wouldn't join us if we were in for them,  I think you're being a bit ridiculous.

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

There isn't a player in the championship that wouldn't join us if we were in for them,  I think you're being a bit ridiculous.

So you think a top player from a club like Brighton who look like are coming up would rather exchange that for a team bottom of the league in the verge of relegation?

I think your being ridiculous and unrealistic if you really believe that

Â