The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

I thought Bacuna being dropped today was strange, especially if you are going to play on the break. He's one player who is quick, Grealish in particular was a waste of time and as much as I dislike Sinclair at least he would offer Richardson a bit more protection than Grealish today. 

Edited by avfc456

6 minutes ago, villarocker said:

He needed to keep the same team that drew the last game. I thought it was a poor team selection today, unless it was forced on him because of injuries. 

He said before the game that he had to make some changes because of the fitness of some of the players and the international break

Edited by AshVilla

47 minutes ago, Bunnski said:

Good point,  I'd of taken 4 points from City, Everton and Watford if offered it beforehand so if we get the win next week it will of been a decent enough start for Remi considering the fixtures.   

Completely agree. In my head we drew 0-0 with Everton and got spanked 4-0 by Citeh. (Keeps my confidence of survival high that way) Confident we will beat Watford then hopefully build from there. 

This game was a write off for me, said as much before the game. Everton is a great side and full of confidence these days. And they have higher quality players in every position.

Garde set the team up to stay solid and not take any chances, hoping to frustrate them and quiet the crowd, but Richardson/Grealish could not deal with Deulofeu/Coleman and the whole thing backfired with a massive knock-on effect. Everton started to enjoy themselves a bit too much and the team were guilty of ball watching and playing catch up at every turn. 

Not too worried about it though. Improved a bit in the 2nd half and lessons were learnt, I think.

It will be very interesting to see how we line up and perform against Watford. Maybe a glimpse into what Garde really wants his team to look like. I'm hoping he'll go with two strikers upfront. Gestede and Ayew have looked very poor playing as the lone striker. I think they both need a strikepartner to work with.

Edited by tarjei
  • Like 3

Ayew looked most affective down the right hand flank but he's been ok down the left.

Based on the last 4 or 5 games

----- Gestede

Ayew -- Gil -- Zog

Gana -- Sanchez

Richardson -- Clairk -- Richards -- Crespo

Guzan

But presuming that Gana is fit as he looked well off the pace today, but so did almost everyone, it's like the entire team forgot how to play football.

People criticising his team selection ,personally was prob the team I would have picked Sanchez would have started over Westwood if not knackered and Sinclair/Grealish toss of a coin really problem is no confidence or still finding there feet Gana/veretout/Grealish /Ayew or not PL players Richardson/Westwood /Guzan .We need big changes in certain players or we will go down but there is still time still think we can get out of trouble .

Garde got it wrong in my opinion. If we were going to play an ultra defensive 4-5-1, then you need the wingers to offer a big defensive shift. Starting Richardson is never a good thing but it was compounded by Grealish who offered zilch in that regard. When I saw the line-up, I didn't think we'd be approaching the game in that way. Everton played well of course but I doubt they'll have an easier game all season.

Anyway, hopefully he will set himself apart from his predecessors and actually learn lessons from this game.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tarjei said:

This game was a write off for me, said as much before the game. Everton is a great side and full of confidence these days. And they have higher quality players in every position.

Garde set the team up to stay solid and not take any chances, hoping to frustrate them and quiet the crowd, but Richardson/Grealish could not deal with Deulofeu/Coleman and the whole thing backfired with a massive knock-on effect. Everton started to enjoy themselves a bit too much and the team were guilty of ball watching and playing catch up at every turn. 

Not too worried about it though. Improved a bit in the 2nd half and lessons were learnt, I think.

It will be very interesting to see how we line up and perform against Watford. Maybe a glimpse into what Garde really wants his team to look like. I'm hoping he'll go with two strikers upfront. Gestede and Ayew have looked very poor playing as the lone striker. I think they both need a strikepartner to work with.

.......and when RL came in we were in a much better position financially than them  with Bill Kenwright.

Look what they have done with their modest sums and us with ours.

The difference is they make good decisions we don't.....Piles more money would not change the shocking decisions this club have made, we have squandered every bit we have had.....and it keeps going on.

Once you get to the point of writing games off as not expecting to win( despite the common sense surrounding the prediction).....its the beginning of the end.

its a passive way of admitting defeat, but defending your feelings at the same time

This team simply don't apply themselves in any way other than defeat, its just a matter of time during any game.

Its like watching a wildebeast being mauled by a pride of lions.

I have never been so sure of a team destined for the trap door.....It will take an unprecedented turnaround to save us now.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Being detached is the only way for me to endure watching our games these days @TRO. It doesn't take much to get my hopes up and the blood pumping again though. I might be wrong but I think it's the same for the players and the VP crowd too. A win, a couple of good displays, who knows, it might be all that is needed to turn everyone's frame of mind  around. It doesn't change the fact that we have a weak squad, but I still retain a feeling that it will turn out in our favor yet again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tarjei said:

Being detached is the only way for me to endure watching our games these days @TRO. It doesn't take much to get my hopes up and the blood pumping again though. I might be wrong but I think it's the same for the players and the VP crowd too. A win, a couple of good displays, who knows, it might be all that is needed to turn everyone's frame of mind  around. It doesn't change the fact that we have a weak squad, but I still retain a feeling that it will turn out in our favor yet again.

I understand your sentiments and I guess we all share them to a degree.

I kills me to say....I don't see this being turned around.....and that is no disrespect to Remi.

The lack of physical presence in our game has been prevalent for far too long.

To have been unchecked for so long has been tantamount to footballing suicide.

We are simply not in tune with the rest of the league....we are paperweight.

• Like 1

28/11/15 Aston Villa - Watford

05/12/15 Southampton - Aston Villa

13/12/15 Aston Villa - Arsenal

19/12/15 Newcastle United - Aston Villa

26/12/15 Aston Villa - West Ham United

28/12/15 Norwich City - Aston Villa

02/01/16 Sunderland - Aston Villa

12/01/16 Aston Villa - Crystal Palace

16/01/16 Aston Villa - Leicester City

23/01/16 West Bromwich - Aston Villa

02/02/16 West Ham United - Aston Villa

06/02/16 Aston Villa - Norwich City

Our next 12 games. I think there is a decent chance of picking up lots of points and going on a run. If we pick up 20 pts from these games we will be at 25 in 25, which is on back on course for survival, if the bottom 3 will even reach 38 this year. It's difficult but not impossible. It will be crucial that we get points of Newcastle, Sunderland and Norwich.

5 hours ago, tarjei said:

Our next 12 games. I think there is a decent chance of picking up lots of points and going on a run. If we pick up 20 pts from these games we will be at 25 in 25, which is on back on course for survival, if the bottom 3 will even reach 38 this year. It's difficult but not impossible. It will be crucial that we get points of Newcastle, Sunderland and Norwich.

It's taken us the last 24 premier league games to get 20 points. No chance we now get that in the next 12. We'll be nowhere near that target of 38 points by then.  Out of that lot I predict around 10 points.

Edited by DCJonah

6 hours ago, tarjei said:

We need performances to have any realistic chance.....sadly, I just don't see it.

Everton are a good side.....but we was worst than woeful, from a non villa fans point of view we were comical.

we are the worst team in the league as our league position reflects.

teams close to us will now be looking at us to get their season back on track.and will have the result banked....we are cannon fodder.

Edited by TRO

Â