The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Garde will have to show over the next month that the team has a chance of staying up. If he doesn't and we are cut adrift then there won't be any money available in January.If we get a few wins and start playing better Lerner might release some funds to try to keep us up. 

8 hours ago, Supervillan78 said:

How anyone can blame Garde for this mess is just idiotic IMO.

So this is how it works in top football: 1) manager gets job with eye-watering salary that most of us could only dream of; 2) manager is expected to get team to win matches & make progress in how they are playing; 3) if manager fails to do this, he is responsible and liable to be sacked.

What's sauce for McLeish, Lambert, Sherwood, is also sauce for Garde. He has no special ticket to exempt him from buck-stops-here, bottom-line responsibility for how we perform.

To be fair to Garde, I am fairly sure he would despise the idea of special pleading on his behalf.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

So this is how it works in top football: 1) manager gets job with eye-watering salary that most of us could only dream of; 2) manager is expected to get team to win matches & make progress in how they are playing; 3) if manager fails to do this, he is responsible and liable to be sacked.

What's sauce for McLeish, Lambert, Sherwood, is also sauce for Garde. He has no special ticket to exempt him from buck-stops-here, bottom-line responsibility for how we perform.

To be fair to Garde, I am fairly sure he would despise the idea of special pleading on his behalf.

I'm pretty sure Supervillan just means Garde has only been in charge for 2 games so it's a bit silly to be blaming him for our situation at the moment.

If, in 10 games time, we're still without a win, then people's opinions on that would rightly change.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

So true sherwood and wilkins are 50% to blame, fox, almstradt or whatever his name is and reilly are the otehr 50%

If anything like our poor run continues for the rest of the season then I am not sure I would portion 50% of the blame on to Sherwood. He had managed us for only 10 games. It has been suggested that the majority of the signings were not down to him but down to Almstadt and Reilly and Fox has put that structure in place.

If we are relegated though the vast majority of the blame goes to the man who has overseen this whole shambles which hasn't just come about this season but over a number of seasons and that is Lerner. There will be a long list of other bit part players but he will be ultimately responsible.

Having said the above I am not yet ready to go down the defeatist road and throw the towel in. Many believed this was a half decent bunch of players who had been held back by a poor manager and/or a group of players that just needed time to gel. Many now also believe we have a good manager. I am still clinging to the hope that both these things are true and I will cling to that hope until 5pm Saturday but if we fail to beat Watford I think I will lose all belief we have a chance of staying up and start playing the blame game.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

When he sat down with Lerner / Fox I imagine the conversation was around 1) Does Remi think he can get Villa up the table and 2) how.

He cannot possibly have said he'd keep them up without investment. Nobody however desperate for a job would say that.

I hope that he agreed a suitable level of investment in Janaury I really do. We need a £20m calibre striker as minimum to give us any hope.

3 hours ago, briny_ear said:

What's sauce for McLeish, Lambert, Sherwood, is also sauce for Garde. He has no special ticket to exempt him from buck-stops-here, bottom-line responsibility for how we perform

Of course, but he can't really be blamed for our current situation right now.

Edited by Mantis

2 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Apparently so. 

So he speaks:

Danish
German
French
Japanese
Croatian
Polish
Chav

fluently?

Part of me doesn't believe it, and that your original comment was a dig at Garde making everybody speak English. (in the dressing room)

• Like 4

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

So he speaks:

Danish
German
French
Japanese
Croatian
Polish
Chav

fluently?

Part of me doesn't believe it, and that your original comment was a dig at Garde making everybody speak English. (in the dressing room)

Sheffield Chav too which is a different beast all together, reyt ard tunderstand.

• Like 2

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

So he speaks:

Danish
German
French
Japanese
Croatian
Polish
Chav

fluently?

I don't know StefanAVFC. I'm not a fly on the wall of the dressing room. Kasper schmeichel has said so, and with the greatest of respect, it would be a very very odd thing to make up.

Not having a dig at all. I for one agreed with what garde was saying at the time, just not the way he said it.

However, what is clear in abundance is that if the Ranieri rumours are true, then despite a multitude of languages present, the message is well and truly bring received.

If we lost heavily to man city then got a fighting point at Everton would people still be so negative? Garde got us working as a team against Man City then had 3/4 of his team go away on Int duty added into losing his LB. so he has virtually no preparation time against a team who are flying. Amavi's injury is a huge blow as Richardson is awful. I've not watched the game back but they had their best player against our worst and all the danger seemed to come down that side. A recipe for disaster. Also Sanchez has only arrived back the day before so Westwood got the nod which was a big mistake. Watford are more our level and will be a bigger indicator of our chances. Lose and I don't see us but recovering but a win no matter how we manage it can see us just 2 points from safety. Garde has to get a couple of wins from somewhere by Jan and then Lerner needs to get 3/4 players in either permanently or on loan.  

8 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

I don't know StefanAVFC. I'm not a fly on the wall of the dressing room. Kasper schmeichel has said so, and with the greatest of respect, it would be a very very odd thing to make up.

Not having a dig at all. I for one agreed with what garde was saying at the time, just not the way he said it.

However, what is clear in abundance is that if the Ranieri rumours are true, then despite a multitude of languages present, the message is well and truly bring received.

We've been over this though. He didn't say anything like what was reported. The news stories portrayed it like 'I am banning French' when actually it was 'this is an English club, we should all speak in the English in the dressing room'.

I 100% doubt he speaks 8 languages. Especially a selection that random.

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

We've been over this though. He didn't say anything like what was reported. The news stories portrayed it like 'I am banning French' when actually it was 'this is an English club, we should all speak in the English in the dressing room'.

I 100% doubt he speaks 8 languages. Especially a selection that random.

I know what he said. I still think it could have been worded differently.

Who knows, he might. There's a crossover between a lot of languages. Spanish is very similar to Romania for instance. 

I'm not fluent in any language but Ive always seen it as running a chain of businesses. Once you've cracked the difficult 2nd one, the rest become a bit easier.

Like I said, be an odd thing for kasper to make up.

Just now, Woodytom said:

I know what he said. I still think it could have been worded differently.

Who knows, he might. There's a crossover between a lot of languages. Spanish is very similar to Romania for instance. 

I'm not fluent in any language but Ive always seen it as running a chain of businesses. Once you've cracked the difficult 2nd one, the rest become a bit easier.

Like I said, be an odd thing for kasper to make up.

What he said was fine.

You're looking for something to moan about that isn't there IMO.

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

What he said was fine.

You're looking for something to moan about that isn't there IMO.

I'm not moaning about anything.

I'm just highlighting that it might not have been necessary for all players to speak English - which is what we pretty much all believed a couple of weeks ago.

34 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

It is a bizarre claim when you think about it.

So what does he do, say exactly the same thing to each player in turn in their own language(would make for long team meetings)? If not, how do the other players know what each has been told about tactics, so they know what to expect from the rest of the squad during a game? And suppose he wants a chat with two different-language players together about how they should play together and communicate with each other?

Whatever Schmeicel meant, I doubt it can be that Ranieri manages the team by using the language of each player to issue team/playing instructions.

I'm 100% with Garde on the best way to communicate in a multi-lingual team. Using separate languages threatens divisions and cliques forming.

• Like 1

I imagine it just means Ranieri speaks lots of languages and talks to players in their own language sometimes.

It's as much of a non-event as Garde saying he'd like people to speak English in the dressing room.

I don't imagine, for example, that Ranieri translates everything into every language he knows unless it's necessary (i.e. one player has a particular problem with English, or an element of English, and so needs to be told in his own language).

Similarly, I doubt Garde will insist on saying absolutely everything in English even if, for example, veretout plainly didn't understand what was being said out of blind stubbornness that nobody should speak anything other than English

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

It is a bizarre claim when you think about it.

So what does he do, say exactly the same thing to each player in turn in their own language(would make for long team meetings)? If not, how do the other players know what each has been told about tactics, so they know what to expect from the rest of the squad during a game? And suppose he wants a chat with two different-language players together about how they should play together and communicate with each other?

Whatever Schmeicel meant, I doubt it can be that Ranieri manages the team by using the language of each player to issue team/playing instructions.

I'm 100% with Garde on the best way to communicate in a multi-lingual team. Using separate languages threatens divisions and cliques forming.

That's exactly what he's suggesting and claims it works very well. And you can't argue with him. They are top of the league.

When I heard about the garde thing (and let me add once again that I agree with his point), my first thought was man, If I was in a team meeting in France and I was allowed to speak English, I'd be absolutely ****. Not being able to speak English, well there would be no point in me being there.

That was my issue with how things were said. It was very 'this is what we're doing, they'll be no exceptions'. He may have had other conversations with players to put them at ease but he hardly came across as approachable in terms of if you don't understand then you can make that clear in your own language.

Â