The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

28 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Lerner obviously isn't blameless and I'd like to see him sell up as soon as possible (to the right owners obviously) but Sherwood's got to take a lot of the blame for the position we're in right now this season. Even under Lambert we managed to keep ourselves from getting cut adrift.

Lambert managed to keep us up - probably more by luck than judgment in my view - until the point where he was sacked as we were plummeting towards almost inevitable relegation.

Sherwood kept us up last season and screwed up this season with a squad he apparently wasn't really happy about (and after today I begin to see his point).

So I'm a bit confused about what we should be "blaming" Sherwood for. You could say it's thanks to him we are still in the premier league this season.

• Like 4

I think he realises that the players have no confidence and as such was trying to grind out a draw today and get them believing in themselves, unfortunately it went horribly wrong and the pain continues. It's hard to believe we will get ourselves playing well again but that's remis job and hopefully he learned a few things about certain players today and will act accordingly.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

From what we're told Sherwood wasn't in charge of recruitment. Sherwood did a shit job but come on, we've been absolutely shit for 5 years with 5 different managers. It's quite clearly down to this **** owner.

For me the summer recruitment is nowhere near the biggest issue. The squad isn't great but it's not so poor that it should be this far adrift with just 5 points. We just didn't pick up anywhere near as many points as we should've because of Sherwood's inept management and as a result confidence is at rock bottom. I don't know how Sherwood let the fitness situation get so bad either.

26 minutes ago, YLN said:

Benteke

Benteke was injured up until November last season and then woefully out of form/unfit up until around March and even then we never go cut adrift.

48 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Lerner obviously isn't blameless and I'd like to see him sell up as soon as possible (to the right owners obviously) but Sherwood's got to take a lot of the blame for the position we're in right now this season. Even under Lambert we managed to keep ourselves from getting cut adrift.

Well I wouldn't be too quick to agree with that.....they have all had an input to the malaise.....I would be reluctant to lay the blame at anyone's door step.

under successive managers we have bought badly and to compound that problem the youth academy have not produced talent sufficiently in numbers to hack it the premier league. The ones who have made it , we have sold.

its a buggers muddle......it has been a trail of poor decisions by too many for too long ably abetted by an absent owner.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

or maybe he didnt set out to park the bus, the players were so shit they lost the ball 2 seconds after they got it. regardless of what tactics remi would have set up, if the other team has the ball for the majority of the time its going to be in our half.

The three players with the fight and quality are gone and haven't been adequately replaced, Garde has an impossible job with this lot and by January it might not even be worth spending big bucks on players because its too late.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Lambert managed to keep us up - probably more by luck than judgment in my view - until the point where he was sacked as we were plummeting towards almost inevitable relegation.

Sherwood kept us up last season and screwed up this season with a squad he apparently wasn't really happy about (and after today I begin to see his point).

So I'm a bit confused about what we should be "blaming" Sherwood for. You could say it's thanks to him we are still in the premier league this season.

You don't need to remind me that we were heading towards relegation under Lambert and I'm not trying to defend him at all. All I'm saying is that even under Lambert we didn't get cut adrift like we have now despite how poor we were.

I'm blaming Sherwood (partially) because it is largely due to his inept management that we've got just 5 points heading into the end of November. The fact that Sherwood kept us up last season is quite meaningless when he'll be a large part of the reason why we'll be going down this season.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I don't know what you've seen to make you think the summer recruitment wasn't a problem. 

And I don't know what you've seen to suggest that I thought summer recruitment wasn't a problem at all. What I actually said was this:

"For me the summer recruitment is nowhere near the biggest issue". Clearly it was an issue, just not for me the biggest issue of all.

I don't remember people blaming Remi for parking the bus against City because that clearly didn't work either did it?

We were away from home and people were claiming before the game begun that they would be happy with a point

Our best chance of getting a point today was not conceding being hard to beat making their crowd agitated in the process 

Remi can't be blamed for thinking this especially when it worked last week against the team that are top of the premier league

If we had tried to attack them for the full 90 minutes we would have been torn apart on the counter and lost by 6 or 7 like we did against Southampton last season remember that we have Kieran Richardson in the side

Simply putting it the players themselves are wank and you can't polish a turd not even Guardiola could get us out this mess

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 2

I think it's clearly our biggest issue. Sherwood was shit but this squad is awful. 

Average keeper on rare occasions. 

Awful defence.

Easily the worst midfield in the league.

No consistent attacking threat.

There's really nothing good about this squad that was rebuilt in the summer.

8 minutes ago, Mantis said:

You don't need to remind me that we were heading towards relegation under Lambert and I'm not trying to defend him at all. All I'm saying is that even under Lambert we didn't get cut adrift like we have now despite how poor we were.

I'm blaming Sherwood (partially) because it is largely due to his inept management that we've got just 5 points heading into the end of November. The fact that Sherwood kept us up last season is quite meaningless when he'll be a large part of the reason why we'll be going down this season.

And I don't know what you've seen to suggest that I thought summer recruitment wasn't a problem at all. What I actually said was this:

"For me the summer recruitment is nowhere near the biggest issue". Clearly it was an issue, just not for me the biggest issue of all.

I think you'll find that our summer recruitment was and still is the biggest issue that we are faced with right now. We quite simply paid good money for players who are not up to the task. How can this not be poor recruitment. You may wish to argue whose fault it was, but that's an entirely separate debate.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Didn't like his tactics today, being defensive won't walk every week as we need to win some games soon to give us a chance.

Like next week. We need a more attacking line up and to take some risks.

Tactics don't mean a lot when the players on the pitch simply aren't good enough to implement them.

We could play 10 at the back and still concede, and equally we could play with 10 up top and still not score.

Garde needs to be a magician to get us out of this.

Very very disappointing performance, result is not a surprise as Everton look very very good this season, so I am able to live with it, though the performance is hard to swallow. If we don't win against Watford then my only ambition for the season will be to get more than Derby's 11 points. 

16 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I think you'll find that our summer recruitment was and still is the biggest issue that we are faced with right now. We quite simply paid good money for players who are not up to the task. How can this not be poor recruitment. You may wish to argue whose fault it was, but that's an entirely separate debate.

It's called an opinion. I don't think all the money was spent well but at the same time most of these players are new to the league so it's hard to judge them definitively at the moment and obviously we were desperately unlucky with Amavi.

Player recruitment was an issue IMO, just not THE biggest issue.

The main issue atm is our players have no confidence, Sherwood takes a lot of the blame for that as he constantly messed them about with stupid comments in the press and by changing the team every week thus preventing players from getting some confidence, remember Ayew came on vs the blues second half and was great and then he spent the following game sat on the bench and there were other such examples.

1 minute ago, Woodytom said:

I have been continually stunned how the blame always seems to divert from the players. 

I've seen very little of that. Just because some people don't blame the players entirely and don't genuinely believe that they're the worst footballers ever doesn't mean people don't also recognise that the squad should shoulder a large portion of the blame too.

3 minutes ago, Bunnski said:

The main issue atm is our players have no confidence, Sherwood takes a lot of the blame for that as he constantly messed them about with stupid comments in the press and by changing the team every week thus preventing players from getting some confidence, remember Ayew came on vs the blues second half and was great and then he spent the following game sat on the bench and there were other such examples.

Confidence is more important than many people believe actually - just look at Leicester for example.

Â