The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

This is why I think you're moaning for the sake of moaning.

You've chosen to take his words literally as 'there will no French at all'.

I imagine he will be easing the likes of Veretout in rather than just saying absolutely everything in English at 100MPH and expecting them to pick it up instantly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Got a huge job here. I hope he has the stomach for it.

There is no doubt this is a huge test for him and a step into the unknown. His only managerial experience has been at a club at the top end of the league. Whilst that brings its own pressures it will be nothing like what he will be facing now.

All we can do as supporters is get right behind him and take a bit of a leap of faith in hoping that he is capable of dragging us out of this mire. It may of course be the case that the players just aren't good enough which then means that Almstadt and Riley will have a lot to answer for as they had a huge influence and input in to who came in over the summer.

Edited by markavfc40

8 hours ago, briny_ear said:

So this is how it works in top football: 1) manager gets job with eye-watering salary that most of us could only dream of; 2) manager is expected to get team to win matches & make progress in how they are playing; 3) if manager fails to do this, he is responsible and liable to be sacked.

What's sauce for McLeish, Lambert, Sherwood, is also sauce for Garde. He has no special ticket to exempt him from buck-stops-here, bottom-line responsibility for how we perform.

To be fair to Garde, I am fairly sure he would despise the idea of special pleading on his behalf.

I think the problem is that a lot of us hoped (yet again) that a new manager would give the players a lift and we would see an impact. The Man City game suggested that had happened. I think we are beyond 'new manager syndrome' as we are deep into the habit of losing. There just seems to be utter panic when we attack and then we are shocked that our forwards lash at chances - they seem to feel that will only get one chance per game and with good reason. Surely if you're attacking you're defending. Trying to 'hold' any team from the kick off just oozes fear. I would hope that Remi was just doing some A>B testing. He saw what happens when we are offensive from the outset in the Man City game and thought "I wonder what would happen if we did the opposite" - just to be sure that's a bad idea. I would also hope that he realized that Grealish is nowhere near man enough for the first team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

There is no doubt this is a huge test for him and a step into the unknown. His only managerial experience has been at a club at the top end of the league. Whilst that brings its own pressures it will be nothing like what he will be facing now.

All we can do as supporters is get right behind him and take a bit of a leap of faith in hoping that he is capable of dragging us out of this mire. It may of cause be the case that the players just aren't good enough which then means that Almstadt and Riley will have a lot to answer for as they had a huge influence and input in to who came in over the summer.

Agree- though I think the players mostly to blame for this epic bad start are the existing players. Guzan, Richardson, Westwood, Gabby have all been largely terrible this season imo. I still think the foreign buys could be fairly decent for us, given time and good coaching. We might have a good coach but we have no time. Why oh why didn't Sherwood go in the summer? 

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Agree- though I think the players mostly to blame for this epic bad start are the existing players. Guzan, Richardson, Westwood, Gabby have all been largely terrible this season imo. I still think the foreign buys could be fairly decent for us, given time and good coaching. We might have a good coach but we have no time. Why oh why didn't Sherwood go in the summer? 

Would've been a bit hard to justify then. Obviously with hindsight it would've been a good move but he'd just kept us up.

He should've gone a couple of games earlier than he did though.

• Like 1

I think we'll find out over the course of the season we'll find out whether Sherwood was a bad as many think he is. I'm not going to blame Garde no matter what happens. I don't think the players we have signed are suitable replacements for the ones we sold and the loanee that went to Everton.

Edited by PaulC

Bennett is coming back soonish anyway but looks like we might try and get Aly back.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-consider-recalling-aly-10490849?

“I haven’t spoken to him yet but I know him because he played for me at Lyon.

“We will see what happens and whether there is another option or not.”

Good to here Ilori is training hard and approaching fitness also

• Like 1

Bennett is coming back soonish anyway but looks like we might try and get Aly back.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-consider-recalling-aly-10490849?

“I haven’t spoken to him yet but I know him because he played for me at Lyon.

“We will see what happens and whether there is another option or not.”

Good to here Ilori is training hard and approaching fitness also

That tells me he's as terrified of having Richardson play as we are.

47 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

6-1, 0-1,4-0.

No?

Nah - I hated Sherwood more than most and even I would have given him the summer to make his mark after he kept us up. We definitely could have sacked him sooner this season though.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Nah - I hated Sherwood more than most and even I would have given him the summer to make his mark after he kept us up. We definitely could have sacked him sooner this season though.

Same. 

I wouldn't have been fussed if he did go in the summer, but it would have been very harsh and an extremely bold move by the board to do so.

So if 6-1, 0-1, 4-0 would have been enough to get Sherwood sacked "proactively" after he kept us up and got us to the cup final, Remi Garde needs to reflect...

0-0, 0-4...

One more bad result and maybe he's gone too - another "proactive" sacking!

;)

Edited by briny_ear

19 hours ago, Genie said:

I hope that he agreed a suitable level of investment in Janaury I really do. We need a £20m calibre striker as minimum to give us any hope.

I wonder how many £20m strikers will be lining up to come to a team rock bottom of the division?

We are in big trouble even if taht muppet Lerner gives money. No top 6 championship striker is going to want to come here as we could be swapping divisions and not many good premier league rejects will want to either

which means looking at abroad.

Â