The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

guess the €1m question is do we stick with him as the man to rebuild the club and get us out the championship

before you start , I'm not writing him off , but we have the worse team in the Prem bar Sunderland and I doubt he or anyone could turn this team into a unit capable of staying up ... The Jan window may offer a glimmer of hope but will we be in touching distance still by then ?

if his vision for the club is good , maybe we have to stick with him no matter what  , rather than jumping on the manager merry go around again in 8 mths time

but for the now he has some big decisions to make ... binning Lescott should be the easiest of them though

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

Please, please, please let this be a clean slate. No more sentiment. No more Agbonlahor or other **** garbage players starting because they have 'experience'. Burn anything and everything that has any links to the Villa of the last 4 years.

This more than anything.

guess the €1m question is do we stick with him as the man to rebuild the club and get us out the championship

before you start , I'm not writing him off , but we have the worse team in the Prem bar Sunderland and I doubt he or anyone could urn this team into a unit capable of staying up ... The Jan window may offer a glimmer of hope but will we be in touching distance still by then ?

if his vision for the club is good , maybe we have to stick with him no matter what  , rather than jumping on the manager merry go around again in 8 mths time

but for the now he has some big decisions to make ... binning Lescott should be the easiest of them though

If we showed enough potential and his tactics and selections at the very least made sense, then if relegation was inevitable I would be inclined to keep him on, but there's a lot of if's in there.

Well, he's got one hell of a job on his hands.

He didn't look impressed at all tonight. Hopefully he has a decent idea of what he wants to change and how he can start implementing it on the training ground. We really need to set up to get the best out of our forwards. They may not exactly be class, but the only chance that we're gonna have at scoring goals is by setting the team up to play to the strengths of the more dangerous players. For me, Ayew and Gestede should probably start together, so we have a couple of options and we can mix it up a bit, rather than having one lone striker to lump the ball up to. Get the ball out wide. Gil is equally good at both cutting in and whipping a ball into the box, so he should be playing out wide imo. Grealish on the other side, no Gabby.

Get it done, Remi!

First thing he needs to do is bin Richardson, Lescott, Sinclair and Gabby from our starting 11. We have no chance of staying up with that mob in the starting 11. Clark had a shocker aswell but we're a bit stuck there until Okore gets fully fit.

Anyway though Remi seems reasonably clued up so he will restore people like Gana, Amavi to the starting 11 and do something revoulutionary like giving Jordan  Ayew a run of games, y'know a striker who can actually score goals.

They're no world beaters but I'd go with a spine of Guzan-Richards-Gana-Sanchez-Gil-Ayew and fill in with the rest and hope that can scramble some points up to January. People like Grealish, Traore and Veretout have roles to play off the bench.

Good luck getting 10 wins with that squad though.

That's another thing, Lerner needs to follow his hard hitting statement by back Remi in January, we need a striker and centre half as a minimum.

You could put your house on us going down if we don't buy at least 3 decent players in January. We need a new centre back back and striker for starters. 

You could put your house on it now. The turn around needed to get to the kind of level you'll usually need to survive come May is near unprecedented. You're looking at asking a team so far showing itself to be particularly bad relegation fodder to turn into the standard usually vying for the Europa League places on a points per game basis, more or less.

Ain't happening. We're done.

Unless Remi Garde is a miracle worker, and I say that as someone who rates him.

The team simply isn't good enough and we've wasted too many points already.

It's good that you are so sure. Maybe don't go quite as far as your house but you could put some decent money on it and at least make a few quid. 

We've played 11 games now without a manager.

I'm still convinced that this squad is capable of more than we've seen from it so far this season.

It remains to be seen if that changes and if Garde is the man to change it but we really aren't as bad as its appeared so far this season.

I hope you are right Trent because we are only 4 points from safety and with 27 games to go that certainly can be clawed back.

The new manager now has my 100% backing. I have to say though I know every little about him other than what I have read this last week. I don't know enough about what he inherited at Lyon to know if 3rd, 4th and 5th place finishes with one cup win would be considered doing a great job, decent or poor.

If I said I expect him to do well here and keep us up I'd be taking a huge leap of faith. In fact it is similar to what I have actually done with many of our players. I knew very little of Gana, Veretout, Amavi, Ayew, Traore who cost a combined 40 mill but I have took a leap of faith and said I think, mainly reliant on those players making a big impact, that we have a squad good enough to stay up.

Remi Garde needs to quickly weigh up what his best side will be and quickly get the best out of the players he has at his disposal. He unfortunately doesn't have 2 or 3 months to get his feet under the table and needs to make an immediate impact. If he isn't capable of that and is going to need a lot of time then given the state we are currently in we will have bought in the wrong man.

For all our sakes I hope the purchases over the summer, certainly the foreign lads, start to show they were the right ones and the new manager quickly shows he is the right man to get the best out of them within a team. If either of those don't happen then we are clearly doomed.

Edited by markavfc40

before you start , I'm not writing him off , but we have the worse team in the Prem bar Sunderland and I doubt he or anyone could turn this team into a unit capable of staying up ... The Jan window may offer a glimmer of hope but will we be in touching distance still by then ?

Really good question that and one we might have to consider sooner rather than later.

History shows the championship is no place for inexperienced foriegn managers....Felix Magarth and Solsjkaer were both kept on when their teams went down and neither lasted past October.

I know literally nothing about him or results at lyon but MNF showed he waswas 12th for clean sheets (which I imagine is pretty bad for a team that finished 4th/3rd. Obviously doesn't tell much of the story). This could be very worrying given our biggest problem is we make defensive error after defensive error. So I dont know how much the current situation will change 

Edited by gharperr

I know literally nothing about him or results at lyon but MNF showed he waswas 12th for clean sheets (which I imagine is pretty bad for a team that finished 4th/3rd. Obviously doesn't tell much of the story). This could be very worrying given our biggest problem is we make defensive error after defensive error. So I dont know how much the current situation will change 

Had they anything positive to say about him or were they busy highlighting the negatives.? If he was 12th for goals conceded then he must be good at getting a team scoring to finish so high up the table so that'll do me if he can replicate it here.

First thing he needs to do is bin Richardson, Lescott, Sinclair and Gabby from our starting 11. We have no chance of staying up with that mob in the starting 11. Clark had a shocker aswell but we're a bit stuck there until Okore gets fully fit.

Anyway though Remi seems reasonably clued up so he will restore people like Gana, Amavi to the starting 11 and do something revoulutionary like giving Jordan  Ayew a run of games, y'know a striker who can actually score goals.

They're no world beaters but I'd go with a spine of Guzan-Richards-Gana-Sanchez-Gil-Ayew and fill in with the rest and hope that can scramble some points up to January. People like Grealish, Traore and Veretout have roles to play off the bench.

That's another thing, Lerner needs to follow his hard hitting statement by back Remi in January, we need a striker and centre half as a minimum.

I like Sinclair - still think he has goals in him. What I don't understand though is why he never crosses the ball. And I mean NEVER. Its bizarre - he cuts back on his right foot so much, but never tries to swing the ball in. Dare I say it - can you imagine Gestede on the end of some of Albrighton's crosses (can't believe I just said that). In fact, even today when Gestede came on, I can only think of that Bacuna cross that Gestede headed wide - did anyone else cross the ball at all?

Edited by GeordieVillan
  • Like 1

Had they anything positive to say about him or were they busy highlighting the negatives.? If he was 12th for goals conceded then he must be good at getting a team scoring to finish so high up the table so that'll do me if he can replicate it here.

This - our biggest problem is scoring goals. We havn't actually let in a bucket loads of goals at all. Our problem is that when we do go a goal behind, we never look like equalizing.

• Like 1

I know literally nothing about him or results at lyon but MNF showed he waswas 12th for clean sheets (which I imagine is pretty bad for a team that finished 4th/3rd. Obviously doesn't tell much of the story).

That sounds okay, I don't mind if he only gets us 12th for clean sheets if we finish 4th/3rd.

• Like 2

I don't know about you guys but i'm feeling positive after tonight. Yes we were awful for the majority of the game but once Gil and Ayew came on, the whole complexion of the game changed. We matched Spurs, one of the form teams in the league, albeit for only 10-15 minutes. 

I trust Garde to spot that we need to be playing our best players if we want to perform to our best. The current backroom set-up can piss off and take their grudges towards the French contingent with them. 

Plus add Traore to the mix and I think we can be a force to be reckoned with going forward, especially with an astute tactician at the helm. 

Confidence is a massive, massive problem for him to overcome. I took a non footballing friend to the game and she spotted this with ease.

She pointed out that as soon as they do something good, they get a bit of wind in their sails and they looked every bit a match for Tottenham. Then just one individual error and the house of cards falls down again.

There were signs of a football team there tonight. I'm actually enthused, which is a weird feeling having lost 7 on the bounce.

Sinclair did ok today.

All I want to see is a team and subs featuring the players we signed in the positions we signed them in even if it's off the bench.

Traore may look a one trick pony but he's still scored twice and looked lethal

Ayew has come on leaps and bounds and has to now start

Gana may have done relatively little, but that little was better than Sanchez and Westwood

We need to build our midfield around Gil

Grealish needs a stern kick up the arse because he clearly loves Sherwood and is feeling sorry for himself. Amavi and Vertout need a comforting arm around them and then the chance to impress.

I'd rather Bunn than Guzan, i've seen enough of Brad now to know he has lost it.

Richardson, Gabby, Lescott, get fecked!

I hope Gardener is fit, Llori, Crespo and Okore, Kozak get there chance.

Not really sure about Gestede to be honest but I hope everyone frozen out gets a chance

• Like 2

Â