New manager

KJT123

Everyone's now saying Garde like it's nailed on.

I can't be the only one still expecting the club to curveball us and announce this guy in the morning:

55e7f585b729c06741e667c3ea25e43d.jpg

Is that Dobby the house elf from Harry Potter?

Nope, it's a half-arsed manager who used to be famous.

• Like 4

Everyone's now saying Garde like it's nailed on.

I can't be the only one still expecting the club to curveball us and announce this guy in the morning:

55e7f585b729c06741e667c3ea25e43d.jpg

Is that Dobby the house elf from Harry Potter?

Nope, it's a half-arsed manager who used to be famous.

Sorry but you're being a nob it was already pointed out that this is actually VLC player mate, this place does my head in sometimes.

• Like 1

Do not understand the importance of a French speaker at all. Football is an international language. It's not that difficult to communicate to someone of a different language, who in fairness probably speaks English anyway? He could be a good signing, I know nothing of him as a manager other than what I've Googled tonight, but the excitement over the language baffles me.

Are people excited he speaks French?

I've read a few posts like that, yes. But am also quite drunk so might be making things up again.

If Garde does come I hope he manages to shut up the stupid media who seem to think Sherwood was doing a decent job and shouldn't have been sacked. Infuriating.

It works both ways. Some will say the new manager didn't stand a chance with the mess Sherwood left them if he fails to turn it around. Ultimately ifs, buts and maybes can be used to support which ever side of the fence you are as regards the blame game.

I'm almost beyond caring. Regardless of each manager's positives, negatives and idiosyncrasies I don't think they have had a chance of meeting their potential through choices made above them. Some managers we've had may have been capable of managing us to 4th, others may only be able to manage us to 12th... unfortunately all managers have only been supported enough to get us 17th which is all Lerner wants. It's basically irrelevant. 

I hope I don't like the next manager because I'm confident we'll all be back here in another 8 to 18 months time talking about their replacement. This is absolutely not a support of Sherwood but I think whoever comes in will not succeed at this club and relegation beckons regardless. I feel sorry for whoever takes it.

I'll take 17th now thanks.

It's important that this club stays in the top flight, for a myriad if reasons. A big one being that we've little hope of a sale and a brighter future otherwise. Perhaps if you focus on that as your definition of glass half full success you won't be quite so jaded.

Do not understand the importance of a French speaker at all. Football is an international language. It's not that difficult to communicate to someone of a different language, who in fairness probably speaks English anyway? He could be a good signing, I know nothing of him as a manager other than what I've Googled tonight, but the excitement over the language baffles me.

I don't think they all do speak English yet - not well at least.  If the manager is trying to get them to play to any sort of adaptable gameplan it's going to be so much more effective if all the players understand what's required exactly.  

Garde being a French speaker will help in some respects. For general speak, English should be fine, but if he has some finer points to make, especially in one-to-one situations then it should come in handy.

I don't think they all do speak English yet - not well at least.  If the manager is trying to get them to play to any sort of adaptable gameplan it's going to be so much more effective if all the players understand what's required exactly.  

But, more of the squad speak English, and we had an English manager, and were still shit?

In fairness, after Trent replied I tried to find the quotes about a French Speaker and couldn't, I think I'm drunk

Greatest ex Villa and Lyon would be Big JohnnyC, no? 

Let's not forget Jean Makoun's sweater.

He was Lille i think.

He joined Lyon after Lille

I once figured out that 'Rich Knit Absentee' was an anagram of Christian Benteke. And now Rich Knit Absentee is the only name I have in my head for Jean. Dat jumper tho.

Who in the name of bollocks is Garde??? Just not the time for gambling. This obsession with Ligue 1 is baffling.

Managed Lyon to the Champions League. Worked under Houllier and as a player under Wenger. Very highly regarded. Came close to being Newcastle manager but didn't fancy living hundreds of miles from civilisation.

Google will help you too. Either that or reading this thread, quite a few posts and links to help you gather the answer you require.

Who in the name of bollocks is Garde??? Just not the time for gambling. This obsession with Ligue 1 is baffling.

I really do not get these kind of comments at all.

I know, he is a football manager who has played in the Premier League and is highly regarded among his peers. I wasn't aware of his work at Lyon but thankfully hindsight is a wonderful thing and we can see that he at the very least can manage. Who the **** else are we going to get? I'm assuming a Premier League regular is the preference?

• Like 1

I remember watching Pochettino's first Southampton game after they'd sacked Atkins (which seemed unjustifiable at the time, appointing this relatively unknown foreign manager), but christ did they look good and haven't really looked back since even though Poch has long gone.

If for just once Villa could get a slice of luck, with what in nature is a similar managerial appointment in Garde, that brings us a portion of that improvement I'd be happy.

Edited by jonno_2004
  • Like 4

I just don't see why we wouldn't go for Moyes. He's available and a perfect fit. This guy is an unknown entity, we are in deep shit and need someone who we know can get us out and fast. This isn't the time for a gamble in my opinion.