Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

There's no right answer to the question of what players get you back up again, but the problem with cloggers - like those that QPR signed two years ago, Dunne, Zamora, that Croatian guy that follows Redknapp around wherever he goes whose name escapes me, is that they're all on big money and then sign contracts that last longer than one year, so even if you come up the squad is packed full of overpaid, underperforming shite on big money (like QPR last year). 

Dwight Gayle, didn't we have a last minute bid for him rejected on August 31st? He's another you'd group as a very meh signing for us to push on the premier league but given his record at Posh he'd do a very decent job for us down there. Looks like he's out of favour at Palace.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

There's no right answer to the question of what players get you back up again, but the problem with cloggers - like those that QPR signed two years ago, Dunne, Zamora, that Croatian guy that follows Redknapp around wherever he goes whose name escapes me, is that they're all on big money and then sign contracts that last longer than one year, so even if you come up the squad is packed full of overpaid, underperforming shite on big money (like QPR last year). 

I wouldnt call Kranjcar a clogger ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVNwxmXSmDc

Here's another angle on it,

Is it possible that we could actually not be a zillion miles away from being financially Championship ready anyhow?

With a couple of high earners contracts ending in the summer like Nzogbia for example & some of the others who will surely have salary reductions inbuilt in the event of relegation, added to the way the wage bill has been slashed over the last few seasons anyway?

If so, with a bit of decent buying and selling this & next window we could actually be quite strong for that division surely...Just a thought. :mellow:

2 hours ago, Kbdrum88 said:

I've got 3 mates who are Everton fans and they all say most Everton fans want rid of Howard atm... And I'm thinking **** I'd take him at villa, swap for Brad 

Why would Everton want Guzan? Howard is shite no doubt about it. He's getting on a bit aswell. Guzan is far worse though

I wouldnt call Kranjcar a clogger [emoji6]

"Frank Quedrue thinking of playing for England"

9 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Here's another angle on it,

Is it possible that we could actually not be a zillion miles away from being financially Championship ready anyhow?

With a couple of high earners contracts ending in the summer like Nzogbia for example & some of the others who will surely have salary reductions inbuilt in the event of relegation, added to the way the wage bill has been slashed over the last few seasons anyway?

If so, with a bit of decent buying and selling this & next window we could actually be quite strong for that division surely...Just a thought. :mellow:

On paper you would think so.  Though, on paper you would think we should be doing better than Bournemouth, Norwich and Watford at least.

I don't think the individual players or their ability is the issue. It's the collective attitude of the group, the low morale and the lack of confidence that is the issue.

Ayew and Traore could be two of the best players in that league if we keep hold of them. The likes of Okore, Veretout, Amavi, Gil, Grealish and potentially Westwood would all be in the upper echelon of the Championship too.

Outside of that, I don't think many of our first team players would have the stomach or ability for the fight so there would still be some way to go.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, villafan306 said:

Ayew and Traore could be two of the best players in that league if we keep hold of them. The likes of Okore, Veretout, Amavi, Gil, Grealish and potentially Westwood would all be in the upper echelon of the Championship too.

Sorry mate that aint going to happen. Ayew is too good for championship and will have numerous offers. I think he is only player we might make  a little profit on. Adama will go as well I think. 

10 hours ago, Arj Guy said:

Why would Everton want Guzan? Howard is shite no doubt about it. He's getting on a bit aswell. Guzan is far worse though

I wouldn't say far worse.

Ask Everton fans about Howard these days. They all hate him.

If we're getting a new keeper we can do better than Howard.

It's not our place to make wild stabs at who we should be signing.

there should be a robust scouting and recruitment structure in place at a club like Aston Villa.....one that we can all trust.

It needs a separate/ dedicated board meeting to find out why the present structure is not working and fix it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

It's not our place to make wild stabs at who we should be signing.

there should be a robust scouting and recruitment structure in place at a club like Aston Villa.....one that we can all trust.

It needs a separate/ dedicated board meeting to find out why the present structure is not working and fix it.

I would argue the scouting program IS working. Ayew, Veretout, Gana, Amavi, Traore are all good or will be good purchases. The only failures I see so far are Gestede (to an extent), Crespo & Illori. Richards & Lescott fall outside the "scouting" network for me, I have the impression they were Sherwood's purchases, rather than the recruitment structure.

The problem I think lies with the application of the purchases... ie. Sherwood

I think the failure is in identifying who/what we need.

I think our transfers in the summer would be seen as largely successful if we had a solid team to add them to.

Unfortunately we overlooked the fact that we don't have that solid team, and we needed to get that first before we start adding in luxuries or players that need a few months to settle in.

• Like 2

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jan/04/lokomotiv-moscow-oumar-niasse-premier-league

Oumar Niasse, the in-form Lokomotiv Moscow striker, is set for a £15m January move to the Premier League, with a host of clubs monitoring his situation.

Chelsea, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur have scouted him extensively over the first half of the season and each of them are looking to strengthen up front this month.

Everton, Newcastle United and Aston Villa are also keen on the Senegal international, who has been voted the Russian Premier League’s player of 2015. In 21 games for Lokomotiv this season he has scored 12 goals and provided 10 assists

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfer-rumour-mill-10681436

Oumar Niasse
Lokomotiv Moscow forward Oumar Niasse is having a fruitful season in Russia.

The Senegal international has 12 goals in only 21 appearances, and can play out wide or as a centre forward.

Remi Garde is looking for more firepower to add to his shot-shy squad, the lowest scorers in the league, and reportedly wants Niasse - but so do Chelsea and Everton

Edited by Villan4Life