Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

Zog is out of contract in the summer

I think Cole and Senderos, Richardson will be out of contract in the summer as i'm sure Lamberk was also stupid enough to give them two year contracts.

Gabby we are stuck with unless a newly promoted club signs him, Kozak will prob go to Celtic either on loan or for peanuts.

Gana we will never get what we paid for him, so pointless selling him.

3 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

If you accept we're down then actually we could look at this window completely differently. I think that Villa should go the whole hog on their current philosophy and use the rest of the season to bed the new signings in, which will almost inevitably mean even worse results but maybe a tiny bit of hope for the future

The trouble with that is that if we do keep losing that will have a detrimental effect on those players we are bedding in as losing becomes a habit. We have over half the squad who were signed in the summer and have played half a season with us and won one game. Imagine how shot their confidence is now never mind if anything like that run of form continues. Do we want to put a team out now who will make up the foundation of our side next season who are going to get beaten week in week out in the top flight and then expect them to suddenly come back confident in the summer.

Maybe it is better to let this mob continue, clean them out in the summer, assuming anyone will have most of them, and start with a fresh slate and a number of players not tarnished by the dire results of this season.

35 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

In an ideal world we'd sign players who will be able to compete this season but be prepared to drop down into the Championship, it's a hard task. We're really looking at best, at some hidden 'gems' from outside of England and talented young players already performing in the Championship (e.g. Afobe, Will Hughes) who by the off chance will not be signing for a Premier League club next season. 

Once we go down, we need to invest heavily and use our 'big name' to sign up the best the Championship has to offer, players who are young, proven and with the sort of upside that will mean they can play in the Premiership. 

I think this is the key. When you look at the teams that have been relegated over the years, if they don't come back up at the 1st or 2nd time of asking, the cost cutting kicks in and they tend to be stuck down there a while. 

As it stands I don't think our current squad are physically strong enough, or good enough to bounce back up, so the planning and preparation that needs to go into rebuilding the squad over the next 8 months or so is going to be vital.  

As you say, the parachute payments and our status as the biggest club in the Championship will be key to that, I just hope that the board are up to job. 

After the last 5yrs I'm not to confident about that last bit. 

Edited by av1

17 minutes ago, dounavilla said:

The team right now is cack. 

The same team next season will be cack.

We need a major clear out. 

we've only just cleared out all the dead wood Lambert signed, we've had more clear outs than a Turkish lavatory block and yet we're still getting relegated

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 3

I really don't believe the squad is that shit. I think maybe a commanding centre half, a half decent finisher and a ball winning midfield grafter gets us out of the relegation spaces.

The creativity is there with Gil Grealish and Adama even Vertout.

But on the other hand there is certainly something going on behind the scenes because they play like 11 strangers.

Or maybe it's just the manager is rubbish. Which I'm of the opinion.

The league table would suggest otherwise. You sound a little bit ike most posters on here including myself about 5-6 games ago. 

Apart from the blame being the manager. 

ImO , he must take some responsibility for the results since he arrived but not all. I like you, am convinced of a divide in the dressing room and would also like to that the only players which have improved have been the summer signings.

I feel Okore, Hutton, Westwood, Bacuna, Vertout, Gana, Gestede, Ayew, Sinclair, Lescott, Sanchez all look like they are making the effort even if that effort isn't good enough. 

Traore - just don't know, but i can't imagine he'd be better under another manager.

Guzan, Clark, Grealish, Gil, have all seemingly regressed and are terrible, Gabby isn't played.

But in all honesty I could only point at Gabby and Grealish as being Sherwood favourites who have seemingly turned their noses up at Garde. You could speculate the same of Clark and Richards, but it would be clutching at straws.

I don't think Garde has lost the dressing room, I think there is zero confidence and very little man management happening to really get the team playing at the average level it can.

But to be honest all the while there is so little convincing attacking intent or quality in the final third then I genuinely think most players just can't be arsed, no-one is taking responsibility for goals, we have 20 fluffers and no finishers.

The way I see it, Garde has a plan. It won't keep us up but I think in this window he will sign some good players and by the end quater of the season have us playing good football. The one problem with that is this good football will in no way be suited to the Championship. We then start again :(

• Like 1

Saw Jedinak and David Marshall mentioned in here as potential signings. Totally agree they'd be fantastic acquisitions for our current state and are quite realistic, especially Marshall. They'd instantly fix two problem positions in our team and both have Premier League and Championship experience. Jedinak is a leader too, although I do wonder if he'd leave Palace even if he's not playing every week.

Unfortunately they are not the type of signings I can see us making :(

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Bring back Whittingham if only for he is an excellent crosser for Gestede and knows the league

Another good shout even though he is getting on a bit now, how he hasn't ended up back in the Premier League is a mystery. We'd finally have a good set piece taker again then (although I tend to believe we are cursed with this.).

Good football can work in the Championship. As far as I'm aware the teams who came up last year played good football and the teams challenging at the top this year as well. If we go down I don't think we'd have to scrap everything and become a blood and thunder long ball team, that would be a backwards step.

• Like 3

Lerner, fox and the rest are in for a pretty big shock I think. With all the money in the premiership these days they'll soon realise that they really should have been spending big while they had the chance

I don't think it is a good idea to buy Championship players - they are down there for a reason. Unless of course they are up and coming, but that is still taking a chance.

I would prefer that we do what we did in the summer, buy a few young and foreign players with potential. It is notable that those are the players most of us want to keep.

Edited by AntrimBlack