Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

28 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I care. I've accepted a while back we are down but I care because I don't want relegation from the championship next season and make no mistake this current squad WILL not do much in the championship and can quite easily be in the bottom half.

For me it's simple you start to build for the championship using this window as a platform for it. Byram, Afobe etc.

People say why would they come here and it's a valid argument but it takes or two good solid transfers to springboard a competitive window ready for the championship.

I would also sell in this window. Sell as many as possible as this spine certainly needs ripping apart.

We are an absolute mess make no mistake but we are still quite attractive compared to some of the clubs in the championship in my opinion.

Do I have faith in this current setup? No not really but do I believe if we prepare for the championship now we stand a chance next season? Absolutely.

Fair points. My only concern is that it could have a negative effect, bringing young Championship players here for half a season. I don't think it helped the French signings.

Like you though. I'm at a point where I want to see the back of these players.

1 hour ago, villakram said:

GK, RB and a winger, should be prioritized in Jan.

I assume Ayew will be bought by a top 6 club in the summer as he's really looking like a player. Rudi should do a job in the champo, but another striker will be necessary.

If we hang on to Amavi we'll be in business. Okore/Clark/Lescott will be ok for champo level, but another CB may be required in the summer, Baker could work here. I personally think we want rid of Richards as I don't see him as having the right attitude if we really want to grow/recover.

We'll probably be ok in midfield as Westwood/Sanchez and Veretout should be able to mix with the best mids down there. Though an extra body or two to maybe dump Sanchez and/or Westy to the bench or get rid would be good.

Am I crazy thinking that our players can compete at champo level?

Not crazy, no.  But what we need are players who will fight tooth and nail for the shirt.

A new GK and RB are definitely required.  If we can keep hold of Traore, Gil and Grealish then we have a good supply of wingers.

The optimist in me says Ayew will stay for at least the first half of the season as he'd have a hefty price tag given what we paid for him.

A new central midfielder would be required I'd say.  A nasty, physical player who will get stuck in.  No suggestions as to who off the top of my head though.

• Like 1

We definetly need a new keeper, Guzan is getting worse by the game. Theres a fair few options to look at here in January, so we must do something about it imo . A right back who can cross... and defend  ! At least another CM, someone like Jedinak imo would be a great signing for us at this moment in time. And at least one striker, Remy would be perfect but i cant see it happening tbh.

The biggest problem is actually getting any of these to join our fastly fading relegation battle. I really cant see us being able to purchase the quality needed to have any chance of staying up. I pray to god Garde has some tricks up his sleeve, because he is certainly going to need them.

Hope to see a few sold and atleast 2 players in before we play Wycombe. Keeper must be a priority. Hopefully we don't go for short term fix like Remy, let's get Afobe/Rhodes etc players that will get us goals on a regular basis in the championship next season. I would sell everyone besides Ayew, Amavi, Veretout and Okore. Whether they would want to stay is a different matter. Really hope we don't waste this window on short term fixes because that is exactly what we don't need.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

If you accept we're down then actually we could look at this window completely differently. I think that Villa should go the whole hog on their current philosophy and use the rest of the season to bed the new signings in, which will almost inevitably mean even worse results but maybe a tiny bit of hope for the future

There is an argument that we bought a number of 'moneyball' players that might well eventually come good, cost pittance (certainly wages) and we can sell for a profit. The main problem being we bought too many of them so that the settling in period destroyed our league status. Certainly could be the case for Veretout and Ayew. Amavi looked good too.

So maybe, if you decide the players were good enough and it was just the settling in period that was the issue, or the lack of experience in this league/ country we should go out there and get the 'rest' of the team. I'm talking 6/7/8 players. Players from other leagues, ones that won't be in high demand, ones that will still see Villa as a good step even if we are relegated and then give them the rest of the season to acclimatise to the country, the league and each other. I think an ambitious Championship team would have had a chance signing most of summer signings so now, as we have nothing to lose, is the time to finish the job.

Guzan, Richards, Lescott, Hutton, Sanchez, Richardson, Clark out - wages, age, quality. N'zogbia released anyway. Gabby given ultimatum, but maybe, just maybe, his pride for himself and Villa may come back if he's a bigger fish in a smaller pond. Sell Gana (hasn't made grade) sell or release Cole, Sissokho, Senderos, Sinclair and any other experienced but not involved players. Kids promoted to first team to get more homegrown players.

Don't rebuild in the summer. Rebuild now and use what is now a waste of a season as our extended preseason. Do all our business now.

Keeper

RB     CB      Okore     Amavi

MF  Veretout    MF

Ayew    Gil/Traore/Grealish

ST

Subs: Gabby (in hope), Gestede (for Championship record) and homegrown players.

Cheap wages, solid philosophy, 7 month preseason. What's to lose?

Our Championship status :(

4 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Hope to see a few sold and atleast 2 players in before we play Wycombe. Keeper must be a priority. Hopefully we don't go for short term fix like Remy, let's get Afobe/Rhodes etc players that will get us goals on a regular basis in the championship next season. I would sell everyone besides Ayew, Amavi, Veretout and Okore. Whether they would want to stay is a different matter. Really hope we don't waste this window on short term fixes because that is exactly what we don't need.

Gestede would get us goals in the Championship. He's proven he can do that

7 minutes ago, dakid007 said:

Ospina

Richards Okore Lescott Henry

Veretout shelvey gana

Traore Afobe Ayew

Shelvey and Ospina? No way could we attract those players, especially as we are certain to go down. 

• Like 2

The Main negative with Garde is that he might not have a great idea about the english transfer market. This worries me. In the championship we will need to add a couple of championship ready players. He may never have even watched a football league game.   Maybe he can identify some cheap gems from the French leagues e.g Mahrez. But for every Mahrez there's a Sylla.

I'd admit defeat and sign players now ready for the championship. Players such as

Dwight Gayle (Palace)

Jonathan Waltes (Stoke)

Benik Afobe (Wolves)

Sam Byram (Leeds)

Joe Ledley (Palace)

Jason Williams (Reading)

John Ruddy (Norwich)

• Like 1

I don't see much point in buying players for the Championship right now.  Preferably I'd just get a couple of experienced loan players in for the likes of Veretout, Ayew and Adama to learn from and improve alongside.  If we could get in Toulalan and Remy or similar on loan to solidify us in midfield and provide a goal threat, whilst we probably wouldn't get enough points to stay up, we would hopefully see some improvement in results to take some confidence into next season.  Then reassess who we need to sell and buy for the Championship.

(Also if we get a better protective defensive midfielder and a goalscorer, then win half our games, we could actually stay up!)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Walters and Ruddy won't come here not see Ledley would either but all the others should be prime targets and would stand us in a chance for next season. In before wasting money on a short term fix with Remy instead.

You're probably correct but I still think Walters contract is up in June and if we could offer him a two and a half year deal he may consider it. He'd still play Premier league football up to the Euros. 

Ruddy has been dropped and can't get a game ahead of Declan Rudd. Maybe Ruddy could still have hopes of being the third keeper for the England squad and a move here could freshen up his career. 

Ledley is an outside bet, but he has a lot of competition at palace, and he will not play much football in the next few years. It depends what type of lad he is , but if he wants to play week in and week out he should relish the chance to step on to the villa park turf as one of Aston Villa's main midfielders. 

Edited by Villaonsea

Personally think we should aim for good championship players from now, and possibly some players who are not playing in prem sides who would be willing to play in championship. If I received any offers for the following I would sell

gabby, gana, clark, lescott, ricahrdson, gabby, n zogbia, kozak

i dont rate westwood and rudy but think both would do well in championship

I'd agree that good championship players are what we need now.

David Marshall from Cardiff could do a good job in goal for us.  I see Afobe and Byram have been mentioned above and they would be very good fits too.

A combative central midfielder and a tough centre back would be good picks too.

What we will likely get are two/three more players from the French leagues who will be clueless in the Premier League yet alone the Championship!