Gun violence in the USA

Marka Ragnos

31 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

GGWAGs often end up killing innocent people too.

https://policingequity.org/resources/blog/the-fiction-of-a-good-guy-with-a-gun

It's one of those rare political debates where one side is just entirely, objectively wrong.

But who belongs to the other, objectively right side? I'd wager that a decent proportion of people voting for the Democrats also consider the right to own a gun in order to 'protect themselves' as important.

IIRC, there was a study 10 years ago that stated that while US population represented 5% of the entire human race, 31% of mass shootings (that is 4 or more dead killed by gunfire) occurred in the US.

49 minutes ago, TB said:

But who belongs to the other, objectively right side? I'd wager that a decent proportion of people voting for the Democrats also consider the right to own a gun in order to 'protect themselves' as important.

I wasn’t thinking in Democrat v Republican terms - just gun rights v gun control.

But the divide is quite pronounced:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/249775/percentage-of-population-in-the-us-owning-a-gun-by-party-affiliation/

Gun ownership U.S. 2022, by party affiliation

Published by Statista Research Department, Dec 7, 2022
 In the United States in 2022, 48 percent of Republicans reported that they owned at least one gun, and 66 percent said that they lived in a household with a gun. In comparison, only 20 percent of Democrats owned at least one gun, and 31 percent lived a gun household.

And I suspect when you dig deeper into who owns one handgun vs who owns an arsenal of automatic weapons, the divide is even more obvious.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

dammit. those poor innocent wee kids

I have been asking myself what I would do if I lived in America. I have an 11 year old girl and I couldnt fathom leaving her to school every day and just hoping that some nutter with unfettered access to automatic doesnt choose her school that day .

My first thought when reading your post was ‘they probably think the chance of it happening in their school is extremely low’. But now I want to know the % of schools that have had a gun incident, 1 death so not just mass shootings of 4 or more deaths, since say Columbine.

Anyone has any idea?

edit: nevermind, I found it

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/interactive/school-shootings-database/

More than348,000students have experienced gun violence at school since Columbine

There have been 376 school shootings since 1999, according to Post data

Edited by AXD

4 hours ago, TB said:

IIRC, there was a study 10 years ago that stated that while US population represented 5% of the entire human race, 31% of mass shootings (that is 4 or more dead killed by gunfire) occurred in the US.

20% of the world's prisoners too

• Shocked 1

10 hours ago, osmark86 said:

Just another tragic reminder that the US is one of the last places on earth I would want to settle down in.

We don't have many shootings in Maine so I feel like we're a bit outside looking in on the horrors out there. I don't plan on moving anywhere.

If I lived in America I'd have a gun, i'd 100% have one. I'd need one to feel safe with all the other lunatics running around with guns.

Does that make me part of the problem or a symptom? 

Edited by pas5898

1 minute ago, pas5898 said:

For all the mocking going on.

If I lived in America I'd have a gun, i'd 100% have one. I'd need one to feel safe with all the other lunatics running around with guns.

Am I part of the problem or a symptom? 

Both and that is the point isnt it. People needs guns to protect themselves from other people with guns. 

Only takes a stray bullet to kill you let alone a lunatic walking into a school. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KentVillan said:

It's one of those rare political debates where one side is just entirely, objectively wrong.

The problem is the culture in America towards guns. You need to change the culture first and then slowly over time bring in more and more gun control. It's a like cigarettes, over time they will slowly (too slowly IMO) disappear due to a change in culture towards them. 

4 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

That's America in a nutshell for me, the absurdity that you need a gun to feel safe and protect your family, growing up in the UK and living in Germany society does that for me, i don't sleep with a gun under my pillow because their isn't someone trying to break in and kill my family every night (touch wood...)* or that enemies of my country are lurking around every corner waiting to get me

*or at least I don't live in countries where my government and media want me scared enough to believe this to be the case

The gun culture is mental but so is the state of fear that Americans live in, the idea that I'm sat in my office right now so unsafe that I would need a gun is an idea that is limited to one country in the world

I'd be fairly certain actual war torn countries like Ukraine don't have the same fear and desire for a gun to protect themselves as Americans do

And of course all of that is paired with the irony and arrogance surrounding their military being the best to ever have existed, still also convinced that their obsession and fawning over military service fuels the gun culture, would be interested from guys here who teach there what they do in their schools in terms of flags, saluting, veterans day, teaching history, national anthem etc etc

19 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Part of the problem. You don't need to have a gun to feel safe. Also by owning a gun you are increasing the chances being involved in some form of gun violence so it actually makes you less safe. The NRA push this guns protect narrative to make money, it's not actually true. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Part of the problem. You don't need to have a gun to feel safe. Also by owning a gun you are increasing the chances being involved in some form of gun violence so it actually makes you less safe. The NRA push this guns protect narrative to make money, it's not actually true. 

This. Let's say you have a gun to 'feel safe'. Do you carry it around with you at all times like some modern day Sundance Kid, just in case a shootout breaks out while you're out shopping? When of course, you'll be a crack shot, fast on the draw, and gunning down the bad guys? 

Or is it just for in the house, for dealing with burglars? If so, where do you keep it? Locked (unloaded) in a steel cupboard, safely away from the kids? So when the burglar rocks up, you ask him to hang on a minute while you go and get the key? Or would you keep it fully loaded by the bedside? Perfect for when the kids are around, or you lose your temper in a drunken argument with your missus? 

It's not like in the movies. 

• Like 3

Â