Gun violence in the USA

Marka Ragnos

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

It is ludicrous because as I said earlier who of us in the UK seriously believe that we would ever and I mean ever will be put in that situation?

Do you go to bed at night feeling unsafe? I don't and I never will

That is the bizarre mentality of Americans, if its not the murderer breaking in to your house to kill your family it's Americas enemies coming to take your freedom, that is ludicrous, the answer is not buy a gun and protect yourself, the answer is fix society and stop living in a state of fear 

This life and death situation...these are not people in South Sudan or Ukraine

No I don’t, and don’t expect this to happen.

Was just talking about the hypothetical situation of someone breaking into your house and how you might react.

It’s incredibly rare, but obviously it happens.

I agree it’s a ludicrous thing to be wasting too much energy worrying about.

5 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

No I don’t, and don’t expect this to happen.

Was just talking about the hypothetical situation of someone breaking into your house and how you might react.

It’s incredibly rare, but obviously it happens.

I agree it’s a ludicrous thing to be wasting too much energy worrying about.

But I think that's genuinely how Americans live...or at least what they've convinced themselves of or been convinced of when buying these guns 

That's what needs to be fixed to make the guns go away, the fear that drives normal people to feel the need for one 

The idea you need a gun to protect your family from murderers is insane but I'm sure at least 1 VT member will say they own a gun for that very reason 

• Like 1

Let’s not pretend the guns are for feeling safe.

The ones in to their guns are just **** retreads.

They literally take selections of weapons to family bbq’s for a bit of a shoot up after the chilli chicken.

The ones with guns deserve each other.

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

They literally take selections of weapons to family bbq’s for a bit of a shoot up after the chilli chicken.

Whilst I don't agree with sweeping generalisations this kinda sums it up for me. I'd probably have been less polite

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I dunno, I think those are the ones who make a big song and dance about gun rights.

I’m sure there’s another category of people who live in a rough neighbourhood and keep a handgun in their bedside drawer, don’t tell anyone about it, and never use it.

Whether that’s rational or not, it’s at least not motivated by a desire to feel powerful or to troll libtards or whatever.

A question ...

Re the US obsession with guns and the right to carry arms. Why is it that an American feels the need not only to own a hand gun for "just in case", but several military grade semi automatic machine guns ?

I just don't get their sick obsession with weapons

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

A question ...

Re the US obsession with guns and the right to carry arms. Why is it that an American feels the need not only to own a hand gun for "just in case", but several military grade semi automatic machine guns ?

This is the thing. 

Banning such weapons does not interfere with their precious right to bear weapons. 

Allowing everyone to keep one handgun only maintains that "sacred" right. There is zero need for automatic military grade weapons. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

A question ...

Because the amendment implies that if their government steps out of line and need to be put back in their place the people have the right to bare arms, take on the military - you know the one that they laud as being the greatest in the history of the world - and do just that, letting them buy the same weapons keeps it a fair fight obviously

That's both the biggest irony and the shittest thing about it all, the wording of it and theory of its purpose is completely out dated, Billy Bob marching on washington with his gun collection ain't gonna do shit

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Because the amendment implies that if their government steps out of line and need to be put back in their place the people have the right to bare arms, take on the military - you know the one that they laud as being the greatest in the history of the world - and do just that, letting them buy the same weapons keeps it a fair fight obviously

That's both the biggest irony and the shittest thing about it all, the wording of it and theory of its purpose is completely out dated, Billy Bob marching on washington with his gun collection ain't gonna do shit

It’s a late 20th century interpretation of the amendment as well.

In United States v. Cruikshank (1876), the Supreme Court ruled that, "The right to bear arms is not granted by the Constitution; neither is it in any manner dependent upon that instrument for its existence. The Second Amendments [sic] means no more than that it shall not be infringed by Congress, and has no other effect than to restrict the powers of the National Government."[15] In United States v. Miller (1939), the Supreme Court ruled that the Second Amendment did not protect weapon types not having a "reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia".[16][17]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

All this bollocks about random lunatics having the right to wander around with assault rifles dates back to the 1970s, when the NRA suddenly shifted from being a sensible, non-partisan group which supported gun control, to a political wing of the Republican Party representing the commercial interests of gun manufacturers.

It’s not really about the Constitution, it’s about corruption. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah it does make me laugh watching these Billy Bobs turning up to these protests and looking out of breath just walking up the steps, in their badly fitted camo gear, carrying too many firearms that they probably cant use properly or accurately but they are the ones going to stand up to the elite military of their country if the government steps out of line.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

It implies they wouldn't be drone striked to oblivion. What would they do with an AR15 against that?

19 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It implies they wouldn't be drone striked to oblivion. What would they do with an AR15 against that?

They are in camo so the drone wouldn’t be able to locate them…these billy bobs aren’t stoopid ya know!

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

One of those "Tell me you live in the United States, without telling me you live in the United States" moments:

"A Virginia school teacher who was shot by her six-year-old student has filed a $40m (£32m) lawsuit against school officials, alleging gross negligence for ignoring warning signs."

(LInk:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65171455)

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

One of those "Tell me you live in the United States, without telling me you live in the United States" moments:

"A Virginia school teacher who was shot by her six-year-old student has filed a $40m (£32m) lawsuit against school officials, alleging gross negligence for ignoring warning signs."

(LInk:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65171455)

Obviously the sum is ridiculous but the teacher does have a point. The kid has been a nightmare and a danger to others and in the land of a gun in every drawer this kind of thing was always a possibility, for which the school failed to protect for.

On 29/03/2023 at 22:09, villa4europe said:

It is ludicrous because as I said earlier who of us in the UK seriously believe that we would ever and I mean ever will be put in that situation?

Do you go to bed at night feeling unsafe? I don't and I never will

That is the bizarre mentality of Americans, if its not the murderer breaking in to your house to kill your family it's Americas enemies coming to take your freedom, that is ludicrous, the answer is not buy a gun and protect yourself, the answer is fix society and stop living in a state of fear 

This life and death situation...these are not people in South Sudan or Ukraine

You've got to look at this objectively and pragmatically. To amend the US Constitution is not happening in the US. The country has a massive gin industry and culture. It is essentially impossible to remove guns from the country awash with them. 

So if you think about it. Given the current situation and the prospective situation in the near future. Owning a gun for protection seems the rational decision. 

Longer term ideas should be how to make steps like guns that only work for the registered owner. Making it harder for people to buy assault rifles. Etc.. steps like that. 

Â